Yet another alternative drive-train

Old November 24th 10, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Yet another alternative drive-train

On Nov 23, 3:51*pm, AMuzi wrote:
Joy Beeson wrote:
On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 13:24:00 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

OTOH, progress in materials/manufacture might make designs
practical that were impractical in 1910.

Or changes in riding habits. *Suspensions, springs, and shock
absorbers have appeared periodically ever since the chain drive was
added -- I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find some that
antedate the addition of pedals. *Each design went straight to the
dustbin -- until mountain biking came along. *

Betcha there's a practical use for treadle-powered bikes somewhere,
somewhen. *

I really should join Treadle On, so I can ask what the results of
experiments with pedal-powered sewing machines have been. *Somebody
must have tried it. *

I learned on a Singer treadle machine; no complaints. It's a
simple motion anyone can do.
My electric (1856) machine is smaller and easier to move around:http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...st/PREMIER.JPG
Treadle machines are quite hefty but a smooth action. I
think a more 'cycling' design would need more flywheel.

1856? Shouldn't that be 1956?

JS.
Old November 24th 10, 03:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

James wrote:
: wrote:
:
[...]

Probably. Premier were one of dozens of japenese companies (or at
least names...) making copies of the singer 15 and related machiens
after the war.

--
sig 15
Old November 24th 10, 03:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

James wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Typo. Yes, of course.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old November 24th 10, 04:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

Default Treadle: was: Yet another alternative drive-train

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 22:51:09 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

I learned on a Singer treadle machine; no complaints. It's a
simple motion anyone can do.

Once you learn to push the front of the treadle with one foot and the
back of the treadle with the other. I never did figure that out on
my own -- some machines actually have side-by-side footprints molded
into the treadle to mislead you; why would the thought of *not*
rocking in unison ever pop into my head?

But now that someone has told me, the White Family Rotary is my
default sewing machine.

The desire to use zig-zag sends me to the electric machine less often
than the desire to not tie up one of the old machine's five bobbins
for one short seam. (I can buy bobbins that *look* like the ones
that came with the machine, but they don't quite fit.)
--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
Old November 24th 10, 05:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
It's Chris

Hey, get a big manufacturer to sponser some big name to win a few big
races on it and all the good little lemmings out there will line up to
buy it. That's how the bicycling market works.

And here I'll bet y'all though it had something to do with what works
best too :-3)

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

drive train skips Maceo Techniques 12 September 29th 09 09:04 PM
Slop in Drive Train jl Techniques 26 December 25th 08 12:17 AM
drive train idea rob[_2_] Techniques 1 March 24th 08 06:35 AM
Drive Train Replacement Randall Schulz Techniques 7 July 17th 06 05:14 PM
Drive train noise tommyhenry1 Techniques 8 October 30th 04 05:20 PM