Are BMX chainrings compatible with "ordinary" pitch bike chains?

Old August 19th 05, 06:39 PM

Default Are BMX chainrings compatible with "ordinary" pitch bike chains?

Can I use chainrings intended for BMX bikes with my ordinary mountain
bike drivetrain and chain? My understanding is that BMX bikes use a
slightly wider chain than road and mountain bikes. Assuming that it is
possible, am I likely to experience shifting problems?

Thanks in advance, and safe riding,
Joel Dickman

Old August 21st 05, 06:36 AM

Dear Joel,

BMX chainrings work fine with 3/32" wide Sedis black chain, my chain of
choice for 8-speed mountain and road bikes. (But they say it won't work
on 9 and 10-speed gearsets). I have used BMX cranks and sprockets
successfully in combination with 8-speed LX and XT gears on my slalom
and 4-X bikes as well. They shift real fast!

Some "BMX" bikes, like dirt jumpers, freestyle, street, vert and
flatland bikes use a 1/8" wide chain. Those sprockets won't work on a
geared drivetrtain and the 1/8" chain won't shift for anything.

good luck

jn

"Thursday"

Evaulating a bike Paul Cassel Techniques 96 August 22nd 05 11:45 PM
Are BMX chainrings compatible with "ordinary" pitch bike chains? [email protected] Techniques 0 August 19th 05 06:37 PM
My New Bike brucianna General 6 June 8th 05 08:45 AM
Windosr Tourist Bike Revisiited Earl Bollinger General 16 February 13th 05 08:04 PM
How old were you when you got your first really nice bike? Brink General 43 November 13th 03 10:49 AM