campy record cable replacement

Old September 26th 03, 09:52 PM
Charles Beristain

Default campy record cable replacement

I've got to flip the stem to give positive rise.. and the cables are
too short... so I have to replace the section of housing that go from
the shifter/derailleur pods and the brake and derailleur cables.

I've been looking around on the 'net and have not found a site with
campy maintenance info...

does anyone know where I can find it..

also.. any tips would be appreciated... my first time to ride campy
stuff ( record 10speed).. so I'll have to learn how to maintain it.

charlie
Old September 27th 03, 07:18 AM
jim beam

No need to completely replace the housing. Just butt an additional length of
housing to the existing portion.

ouch. with respect that's /not/ a good way to do it. if you /have/ to
do it this way, there is an "end-to-end" ferrule you can get to make
sure the cables remain alligned properly. but it's still a kluge.

the cost of replacement outer is so low compared to the reliability
implications of this approach, it's not something /i/ would recommend.

jb

Old September 27th 03, 06:28 PM
Robert Strickland

It's pretty intuitive. If you've done it on MTB gear many times then you
shouldn't have a problem. Just remember, as Peter Chisholm will be quick to
point out, dont put ferules on the housing going into the Ergo shifters. He
doesn't want to fish anymore of those out for customers

Rob Strickland

"Charles Beristain" wrote in message
the cost of replacement outer is so low compared to the reliability
implications of this approach, it's not something /i/ would recommend.

jb

I've already got all the stuff... including the housing material...
just waiting until I get enough info to know how to do it on campy
stuff. I've changed out cables many, many times on shimano MTB gear.

charlie

Old September 28th 03, 03:21 AM
Charles Beristain

I've found some good stuff on the campy.com site... at first I thought
it was all in Italian.... but upon closer inspection, I found the
other languages after the initial Italian section.
I feel better just looking thru the manuals... as you noted, nothing
too difficult... but good to know about such things as ferrules on the
shifter end of the cables.

Since the cables are brand new,and the rears much longer than the
fronts ... I think I can take the rear cables and put them on the
front .. and just put new ones on the back. Also use the rear
housings.. on the front.. but cut to the new length for the positive
rise stem.

I have very big hands, and I'm trying to figure out how to use the
thumb shift lever without lifting my hand from the pods. I'm sure I'll
get use to them and after is all said and done, I'll probably like
them better than the shimano gear I'm used to.

charlie

Old September 28th 03, 03:14 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

robert- Just remember, as Peter Chisholm will be quick to
point out, dont put ferules on the housing going into the Ergo shifters. He
doesn't want to fish anymore of those out for customers BRBR

For the brake housing ONLY(NO FERRULES!!!), the der housing does use ferrules
into the ERGO levers-

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.