Alpha Lipoic Acid

Old March 24th 10, 07:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
It's Chris

Default Alpha Lipoic Acid

I picked up a bottle of this in the vitimin section of the pharacy
today, the brief description on the bottle states it is used by the body
to help process sugar and metabolize glycogen. I tried looking it up on
Wikipedia, but lacking an advanced degee in medicine was not able to
understand much other than it was essencial for life, being used by the
mitochondria in cells. And before anyone says it. NO, mitochondria have
nothing whatsoever to do with "The Force" :-3) they're the parts of the
cells to metabolize sugars into energy.

What I was wondering was how well would this suppliment help during
athletic activity, seeing as it is used for exactly what we as athletes
need: metabolizing energy. Since it is used by the body anyways and is
actually essential t life, it sound better than gulping down a shot of
stimulants like "5-Hour".

Has anybody tried this suppliment?

Or do they know of any [written in plain English] references?

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

Old March 24th 10, 09:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dan O

On Mar 24, 12:25 pm, (It's Chris) wrote:
[...]

Any and all dietary supplements are a kludge (at best).

Old March 25th 10, 05:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Mar 24, 3:25*pm, (It's Chris) wrote:
I picked up a bottle of this in the vitimin section of the pharacy
today, the brief description on the bottle states . . .

. . . . . Has anybody tried this suppliment?

Alpha Lipoic Acid is used by diabetics to help with the symptoms of
neuropathy. It is sometimes prescribed for this use in Europe.

I take it daily as a preventative. Don't know if it worked, or if my
sugars are sufficiently well controlled to hold the neuropathy off.

It is the most potent heartburn-causing med (OTC or Prescription) I
have ever taken. Keep your Tums handy.

Jason
Old March 26th 10, 02:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
It's Chris

thanks for the info guys :-3)

- -

Old March 27th 10, 12:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
semi-ambivalent[_2_]

On Mar 24, 3:09*pm, Dan O wrote:
[...]

Since 1973 I've put a lot of faith in Aspirin, Vitamin E and Merlot.
I've seen no contra-indications so far.

sa
Old April 1st 10, 03:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dan O

On Mar 26, 5:20 pm, semi-ambivalent wrote:
On Mar 24, 3:09 pm, Dan O wrote:

[...]

This sounds like a worthwhile experiment.

However, aspirin is a (great) drug - not a dietary supplement.
Supplemental Vitamin E is usually much less usable then natural
(hence, a kludge), and Merlot is (great) food - also not a dietary
supplement.

Lactic acid TimC Australia 0 July 11th 06 03:25 PM
Lactic acid is a friend Callistus Valerius Racing 17 June 6th 06 07:26 AM
Lactic acid friend or foe ? MikeyOz Australia 9 May 18th 06 03:17 PM
Lactic Acid Buildup Jools Australia 27 August 4th 05 01:18 AM
Our Friend Lactic Acid? Steve Juniper Techniques 6 August 30th 04 01:35 PM