Creaking Handlebars?

Old March 28th 10, 02:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Default Creaking Handlebars?

New set of bars + new stem.

The combination creaks intermittently - not all the time, just
sometimes. Torque specs call for 80 inch pounds, but I can't
bring myself to apply that much - there's that "soft" feeling
where you just know in your heart that if you go any further the
threads will strip.

For everything else, assembly with grease seems tb the
recommended approach.

But for something where there is a friction fit (bars clamped to
stem) it seems counter-intuitive.

?
--
PeteCresswell
Old March 28th 10, 03:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
It's Chris

I had the same broblem with my last HB's, and NO amount of tightening
fixed it. Grease helped, but eventually the creaking would return. Same
story with wax. Eventually I solved the problem with a beer can. I cut a
piece of the aluminum can so it would be slightly less than the width of
the clamp and a little more than a millimeter short of completely
wrapping around the bar at the center where it is clamped.

I slid this shim between the clamp and bar, tightened it down and the
problem was solved. Permanently!

"Real" shims will probably work too, but they will cost, the can is"
free" (I posted this one in my website, and may do so with the new
version).

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

Old March 29th 10, 05:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 28 Mar, 14:20, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
New set of bars + new stem.

The combination creaks intermittently - not all the time, just
sometimes. * Torque specs call for 80 inch pounds, but I can't
bring myself to apply that much - there's that "soft" feeling
where you just know in your heart that if you go any further the
threads will strip.

For everything else, assembly with grease seems tb the
recommended approach.

But for something where there is a friction fit (bars clamped to
stem) it seems counter-intuitive.

?
--
PeteCresswell

My bars are set so that I can force them into a new position. This
also means the joint will give in the event of a crash so reducing the
stress levels endured by the front assembly. There is definitly some
lubricant between stem and clamp, not sure what now, been so long.
Old March 29th 10, 10:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_4_]

On 28 mrt, 15:20, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
New set of bars + new stem.

The combination creaks intermittently - not all the time, just
sometimes. * Torque specs call for 80 inch pounds, but I can't
bring myself to apply that much - there's that "soft" feeling
where you just know in your heart that if you go any further the
threads will strip.

For everything else, assembly with grease seems tb the
recommended approach.

But for something where there is a friction fit (bars clamped to
stem) it seems counter-intuitive.

?
--
PeteCresswell

Grease EVERY metal to metal interface and torque to spec. If it still
creaks then it is likely that handlebar and stem have a to loose fit/
diameters don't match. A couple of tenths of mm is a lot in this case.

Lou
Old March 29th 10, 10:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_4_]

On 28 mrt, 15:20, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

For everything else, assembly with grease seems tb the
recommended approach.

But for something where there is a friction fit (bars clamped to
stem) it seems counter-intuitive.

No it isn't Pete. Your handlebar bends, and it that case there will be
always a relative motion at some part between your handlebar and stem
interface.

Lou
Old March 29th 10, 02:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Lou Holtman:

No it isn't Pete. Your handlebar bends, and it that case there will be
always a relative motion at some part between your handlebar and stem
interface.

Is that to say that I should apply grease where the stem's saddle
interfaces with the bars?
--
PeteCresswell
Old March 29th 10, 05:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

Op 29-3-2010 15:44, (PeteCresswell) schreef:
Per Lou Holtman:

No it isn't Pete. Your handlebar bends, and it that case there will be
always a relative motion at some part between your handlebar and stem
interface.

Is that to say that I should apply grease where the stem's saddle
interfaces with the bars?

Yes.

Lou
Old March 30th 10, 02:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Mar 29, 2:44*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per Lou Holtman:

No it isn't Pete. Your handlebar bends, and it that case there will be
always a relative motion at some part between your handlebar and stem
interface.

Is that to say that I should apply grease where the stem's saddle
interfaces with the bars?
--
PeteCresswell

yes

Clicking/creaking from handlebars/stem [email protected] UK 14 April 10th 07 10:00 PM
KH Creaking--help! pkittle Unicycling 14 January 10th 07 05:06 AM
KH Creaking--help! trials_uni Unicycling 0 January 8th 07 07:16 PM
KH Creaking--help! entropy Unicycling 0 January 8th 07 07:16 PM
Creaking [email protected] Techniques 8 November 6th 05 07:19 PM