Bicyclist killed, trucker guilty

Old August 26th 04, 10:59 PM
Fx199

Subject: Bicyclist killed, trucker guilty
From: (Hunrobe)
Date: 8/26/2004 11:45 AM US Eastern Standard Time
(Fx199

wrote:

Instead of bankrupting the driver, they go after the deep pockets of the
company.
The American way.

And the British way....
and the Canadian....
and the Australian...
and Indian...
and every other country whose laws have roots in English common law.

I've never understood why so many contemptuously term holding a company
responsible for it's employees actions "The American Way". The concept is a
good one and it is not limited to or even invented by Americans. Suppose some
part of your job performance caused one of your company's customers to lose
money. What remedy would you suggest? This is getting far afield for a
cycling
NG though so I'll drop the issue.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

I think we're becoming too litigoussp of a society.
Old August 27th 04, 01:21 AM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
killed by a double-dump
trailer which was trying to pass....

evidence needed to identify and conclusively prove...
that the accident was the driver's fault...

I lived in Hawaii for about 10 years where the sugar companies ran what we
called "cane-haul trucks". Basically a tractor-trailer rig with two trailers.

Inherantly-deadly things, IMHO. Seemed to me like about 2-3 people per month
were killed by them - usually caught between the two trailers when the river
pulled back in thinking he had passed.

--
PeteCresswell
Old August 27th 04, 08:06 AM
Zoot Katz

Thu, 26 Aug 2004 23:03:52 GMT,
, the black rose
wrote:

Shouldn't that driver have gotten something for leaving the scene of an
accident?

Yeah, vivisected on national TV.
Call it educational programming.
--
zk
Old August 27th 04, 08:06 AM
Zoot Katz

27 Aug 2004 03:59:53 GMT,
,
(Hunrobe) wrote:

Zoot Katz

wrote:

What's discouraging is that it sounds like the lawyers had to get a
court order so that a proper forensic investigation would be done.

---snip---

If it really did take a court order obtained by a private legal firm to get
critical (and basic) investigative steps taken, then shame on the agency that
had jurisdiction. It is worth noting though that the only thing posted about
court orders and testing is a blurb from the law firm's own website.

\snip
Duly noted.

The other guy's dead forever. This guy should never again be permitted
to drive.

Based on what was written about the evidence in the criminal case, the knothead
should not have been driving at the time. Unfortunately, there's only one sure
way to prevent people from driving- make it physically impossible for them to
drive. Since we can't lock them up forever (or kill them) and we can't
eliminate every motor vehicle on the planet the only sure way is just not an
option.

With public awareness we're able to release a pedophile back into the
community. If the police are doing their job, then the neighbours know
who it is and we're all trusting that if they show up near a school
yard somebody will be on the phone. Bracelets are already approved for
monitoring some offenders.

To make the penalties more serious requires that we begin taking
driving more seriously. We've done it to some extent with drunk
driving. Penalties for driving with a suspended or revoked license
should include forfeiture of the vehicle, for starts. Make it so he
can't legally buy one. Make it known that regardless of its ownership,
unless the car was stolen, it will be destroyed. That way nobody goes
loaning buddy their car.

No, he's probably not going to be a repeat offender but his victim
will never repeat anything, ever. Tough. Live with it.

I don't know how we can live with our conscience as a society that
values its driving privileges and cars more than it does human life.

Cars and driving will continue to be sold with the fantasy of carefree
unimpeded domination of the local environment because the reality
created by automotive over abundance sucks, royally. The amount of
dollars spent on automobile advertising makes it unlikely we'll ever
see responsible driving promoted as a cultural value.
--
zk