Platform Pedal to cure "hot foot"

Old September 13th 04, 11:26 PM
Roger Zoul

Default Platform Pedal to cure "hot foot"

Being a 240 lb road bike rider, I suffer from problems such as hot foot once
I get up to around 60 miles. As a solution, I'm looking to switch from the
Shimano pedals that came with my bike (2003 Specialized Sequoia) to some
with wider platforms. My shoes have soles that are apparently not that
stiff (2003 Specialized Sonoma) but I'd like not to replace them if I can
avoid it. So, to do this I'm considering a set of CrankBrothers Mallet M
pedals, as opposed to Look-style pedals (I think prefer double sided
pedals). These are mountain bike pedals, but obviously I'm considering them
for my road bike. Comments? Pro/cons, alternatives?

Thanks.

Old September 14th 04, 12:20 AM
Eric Gunnerson \(MSFT\)

I switched from SPD pedals to SPD-SL pedals, and I no longer get pain from
my pedals. They're single-sided, but because of the way that they hang, I
find them easier to get into than my SPDs were.

They're also more walkable than Look pedals because they have some pads on
them, but not as walkable as normal SPDs.

Old September 14th 04, 12:29 AM
Bestest Handsander

Roger Zoul" wrote in message
Being a 240 lb road bike rider, I suffer from problems such as hot foot
once
I get up to around 60 miles. As a solution, I'm looking to switch from
the
Shimano pedals that came with my bike (2003 Specialized Sequoia) to some
with wider platforms. My shoes have soles that are apparently not that
stiff (2003 Specialized Sonoma) but I'd like not to replace them if I can
avoid it. So, to do this I'm considering a set of CrankBrothers Mallet M
pedals, as opposed to Look-style pedals (I think prefer double sided
pedals). These are mountain bike pedals, but obviously I'm considering
them
for my road bike. Comments? Pro/cons, alternatives?

265 lbs here (although that continues to drop . I've been riding for a
year on Speedplay Zeros Stainless and Sidi Genius 4 shoes with Specialized
Body Geometry inserts. This is the perfect setup for me. I never notice my
feet. No discomfort, no hotspots, nothing. And that includes 3 solo
century rides so far this year. Can't ask for more than that.

If you're looking for the feel of a large platform under your foot, don't
overlook the Speedplays. They feel huge under the feet thanks to the cleat
design. They've been great for me.

Old September 14th 04, 01:09 AM
Roger Zoul

Bestest Handsander wrote:
|| Roger Zoul" wrote in message
||| Being a 240 lb road bike rider, I suffer from problems such as hot
||| foot once
||| I get up to around 60 miles. As a solution, I'm looking to switch
||| from the
||| Shimano pedals that came with my bike (2003 Specialized Sequoia) to
||| some with wider platforms. My shoes have soles that are apparently
||| not that stiff (2003 Specialized Sonoma) but I'd like not to
||| replace them if I can avoid it. So, to do this I'm considering a
||| set of CrankBrothers Mallet M pedals, as opposed to Look-style
||| pedals (I think prefer double sided pedals). These are mountain
||| bike pedals, but obviously I'm considering them
||| for my road bike. Comments? Pro/cons, alternatives?
|| 265 lbs here (although that continues to drop . I've been riding
|| for a year on Speedplay Zeros Stainless and Sidi Genius 4 shoes with
|| Specialized Body Geometry inserts. This is the perfect setup for
|| me. I never notice my feet. No discomfort, no hotspots, nothing.
|| And that includes 3 solo century rides so far this year. Can't ask
|| for more than that.
|| If you're looking for the feel of a large platform under your foot,
|| don't overlook the Speedplays. They feel huge under the feet thanks
|| to the cleat design. They've been great for me.

Yeah, the cleat is huge on these....I'll check into them...of course, they
are pricey and I'd need new shoes, too. Thanks.

Old September 14th 04, 02:05 AM
Pat

"Roger Zoul" wrote in message
Being a 240 lb road bike rider, I suffer from problems such as hot foot

once
I get up to around 60 miles. As a solution, I'm looking to switch from

the
Shimano pedals that came with my bike (2003 Specialized Sequoia) to some
with wider platforms. My shoes have soles that are apparently not that
stiff (2003 Specialized Sonoma) but I'd like not to replace them if I can
avoid it. So, to do this I'm considering a set of CrankBrothers Mallet M
pedals, as opposed to Look-style pedals (I think prefer double sided
pedals). These are mountain bike pedals, but obviously I'm considering

them
for my road bike. Comments? Pro/cons, alternatives?

Thanks.

How about something like this? Doesn't cost a great deal and it just might
work for you.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile_morei...u=10018&brand=

Old September 14th 04, 03:00 AM
Roger Zoul

Pat wrote:
|| "Roger Zoul" wrote in message
||| Being a 240 lb road bike rider, I suffer from problems such as hot
||| foot
|| once
||| I get up to around 60 miles. As a solution, I'm looking to switch
||| from
|| the
||| Shimano pedals that came with my bike (2003 Specialized Sequoia) to
||| some
||| with wider platforms. My shoes have soles that are apparently not
||| that
||| stiff (2003 Specialized Sonoma) but I'd like not to replace them if
||| I can
||| avoid it. So, to do this I'm considering a set of CrankBrothers
||| Mallet M
||| pedals, as opposed to Look-style pedals (I think prefer double sided
||| pedals). These are mountain bike pedals, but obviously I'm
||| considering
|| them
||| for my road bike. Comments? Pro/cons, alternatives?
||| Thanks.
|| How about something like this? Doesn't cost a great deal and it just
|| might
|| work for you.
http://www.nashbar.com/profile_morei...u=10018&brand=

Those are worth a try. Thanks, Pat.

Old September 14th 04, 05:06 AM
SuperSlinky

Roger Zoul said...

Being a 240 lb road bike rider, I suffer from problems such as hot foot once
I get up to around 60 miles. As a solution, I'm looking to switch from the
Shimano pedals that came with my bike (2003 Specialized Sequoia) to some
with wider platforms. My shoes have soles that are apparently not that
stiff (2003 Specialized Sonoma) but I'd like not to replace them if I can
avoid it. So, to do this I'm considering a set of CrankBrothers Mallet M
pedals, as opposed to Look-style pedals (I think prefer double sided
pedals). These are mountain bike pedals, but obviously I'm considering them
for my road bike. Comments? Pro/cons, alternatives?

Thanks.

I'm not surprised about the hot foot considering the combination of your
size, flexy shoes and SPD pedals. Mountain platforms might help if the
soles contact the platform when clipped in. But a stiffer shoe and a
bigger platform road pedal has a better chance of working. If the
mountain platforms don't do what you hope, then you will have to buy
something else. That is the main reason I stopped trying to do things on
the cheap. It can cost more in the long run.
Old September 14th 04, 11:45 AM
Roger Zoul

SuperSlinky wrote:
|| Roger Zoul said...
||| Being a 240 lb road bike rider, I suffer from problems such as hot
||| foot once I get up to around 60 miles. As a solution, I'm looking
||| to switch from the Shimano pedals that came with my bike (2003
||| Specialized Sequoia) to some with wider platforms. My shoes have
||| soles that are apparently not that stiff (2003 Specialized Sonoma)
||| but I'd like not to replace them if I can avoid it. So, to do this
||| I'm considering a set of CrankBrothers Mallet M pedals, as opposed
||| to Look-style pedals (I think prefer double sided pedals). These
||| are mountain bike pedals, but obviously I'm considering them for my
||| road bike. Comments? Pro/cons, alternatives?
||| Thanks.
|| I'm not surprised about the hot foot considering the combination of
|| your size, flexy shoes and SPD pedals. Mountain platforms might help
|| if the
|| soles contact the platform when clipped in. But a stiffer shoe and a
|| bigger platform road pedal has a better chance of working. If the
|| mountain platforms don't do what you hope, then you will have to buy
|| something else. That is the main reason I stopped trying to do
|| things on
|| the cheap. It can cost more in the long run.

Points noted. I guess I'll learn the hard way. Thanks.