Durable 23c or 25c Road Tires - Recommendations?

Old August 21st 05, 12:44 AM
Michael Press

Default Durable 23c or 25c Road Tires - Recommendations?

In article ,
Steve Sr. wrote:

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 21:38:18 -0400, Steve Sr.
wrote:

Hello,

I am looking for some recommendations for some durable road tires that
are fairly resistant to punctures and more importantly avoiding tube
pinches. The roads that I ride on are mostly rural with varying
surface qualities. The worst being tar and gravel.

I only weigh about 160 pounds but the bike has a fairly upright riding
position which transfers most of the weight to the rear tire. I am
finding that this leads to pinch flats even with tires inflated to
120psi which is the current tires maximum. I think the issue on the
tire is too many pounds and not enough square inches to distribute it.

Any preference between wire bead (non folding) or kevlar (folding)
bead types? I guess the folding variety weigh less but may also have
limitations on how much pressure they will hold.

Any particular brands/styles of tires to avoid?

It also wouldn't hurt if they were periodically on sale at a place
like Performance. : - )

Thanks,

Steve

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I finally decided on a pair of
Continental Ultra Gatorskins. The ultra 2000 came in a close second.
I'll give them a test run tomorrowon n metric MS training ride.

So, what has Continental done with their new run of tires that now
have a black sidewall instead of the older brown sidewall? Was there a
reason behind this change?

I wrote them a letter telling them that the brown does not
go with my silver and black bicycle, and that I would not
buy their tires until they changed to black side-walls.

--
Michael Press
Old August 21st 05, 02:25 AM
Pat

: So, what has Continental done with their new run of tires that now
: have a black sidewall instead of the older brown sidewall? Was there a
: reason behind this change?

: I wrote them a letter telling them that the brown does not
: go with my silver and black bicycle, and that I would not
: buy their tires until they changed to black side-walls.
:
: --
: Michael Press

Hey, Thanks Dude!