Ride Photos: Montara Mountain, July 2006

Old July 19th 06, 05:35 PM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.rides
Bill Bushnell

Default Ride Photos: Montara Mountain, July 2006

Sunday July 9, 2006

I rode from downtown Sunnyvale north to Pacifica, then up Montara
Mountain where the temperature climbed from a low of 59F to 94F once I
got above the fog. I then rode down to Half Moon Bay for a late lunch.
I returned home up the Purissima Creek and Borden Hatch Mill Trails,
Tunitas Creek Rd., Star Hill Rd., Swett Rd., Skyline Blvd, and then
descended the Spring Ridge Trail through the Windy Hill Open Space
Preserve. (96.9 miles; 7720 feet climbing; 3885 kJoules)

http://tinyurl.com/l3m7g

I led a similar WW ride a couple of years ago when Steve Prothero
documented the event.

http://tinyurl.com/5kp9c

--
Bill Bushnell
http://pobox.com/~bushnell/
Old July 19th 06, 07:08 PM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.rides
Scott Mace

Pretty impressive photo tour, Bill. I'm glad the mountain lions weren't
nibbling on cyclist that day!

Scott Mace

Old July 20th 06, 06:30 AM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.rides
duh

Scott Mace wrote:
Pretty impressive photo tour, Bill. I'm glad the mountain lions weren't
nibbling on cyclist that day!

Scott Mace

"Bill Bushnell" wrote in message

Sunday July 9, 2006

I rode from downtown Sunnyvale north to Pacifica, then up Montara
Mountain where the temperature climbed from a low of 59F to 94F once I
got above the fog. I then rode down to Half Moon Bay for a late lunch.
I returned home up the Purissima Creek and Borden Hatch Mill Trails,
Tunitas Creek Rd., Star Hill Rd., Swett Rd., Skyline Blvd, and then
descended the Spring Ridge Trail through the Windy Hill Open Space
Preserve. (96.9 miles; 7720 feet climbing; 3885 kJoules)

Is that cover on your bike while you ride? Just wondering if its some
sort of soft structure fairing. Serious question.
Old July 20th 06, 08:10 PM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.rides
Bill Bushnell

In ba.bicycles duh wrote:
Is that cover on your bike while you ride? Just wondering if its some
sort of soft structure fairing. Serious question.

"Yes" to both questions.

E.g.
http://tinyurl.com/z5eq2

--
Bill Bushnell
http://pobox.com/~bushnell/
Old July 21st 06, 05:28 AM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.rides
Taunto

Bill Bushnell wrote:
In ba.bicycles duh wrote:

Is that cover on your bike while you ride? Just wondering if its some
sort of soft structure fairing. Serious question.

"Yes" to both questions.

Hmmm...and it works ok evidently. Never heard of that. Any
safety/handling issues to go along with that?
Old July 21st 06, 05:54 AM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.rides
Bill Bushnell

In article ,
Taunto wrote:

Bill Bushnell wrote:
In ba.bicycles duh wrote:

Is that cover on your bike while you ride? Just wondering if its some
sort of soft structure fairing. Serious question.

"Yes" to both questions.

Hmmm...and it works ok evidently. Never heard of that. Any
safety/handling issues to go along with that?

The bike actually handles a little bit better with the bodysock, as it
is called, tightening the steering and reducing the effect of fork flop
just a bit. Overheating is seldom a problem as there's almost always
enough air movement underneath to facilitate convection. In direct sun,
the bodysock keeps the body shaded. Aside from these benefits, the
front bubble and the lycra bodysock are a good streamlining compromise,
allowing a 15-20% speed increase (in the 20-30 mph range) for the same
applied power, but only adding 3-5 lbs weight.

See http://www.easyracers.com/ for more info.

--
Bill Bushnell
http://pobox.com/~bushnell/
Old July 23rd 06, 07:02 PM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.rides
duh

Bill Bushnell wrote:
In article ,
Taunto wrote:

Bill Bushnell wrote:

In ba.bicycles duh wrote:

Is that cover on your bike while you ride? Just wondering if its some
sort of soft structure fairing. Serious question.

"Yes" to both questions.

Hmmm...and it works ok evidently. Never heard of that. Any
safety/handling issues to go along with that?

The bike actually handles a little bit better with the bodysock, as it
is called, tightening the steering and reducing the effect of fork flop
just a bit. Overheating is seldom a problem as there's almost always
enough air movement underneath to facilitate convection. In direct sun,
the bodysock keeps the body shaded. Aside from these benefits, the
front bubble and the lycra bodysock are a good streamlining compromise,
allowing a 15-20% speed increase (in the 20-30 mph range) for the same
applied power, but only adding 3-5 lbs weight.

See http://www.easyracers.com/ for more info.

What about cross-winds?

--
-------------------------
"Work like no one is watching,

\
=8{B
\
Old July 24th 06, 09:12 PM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.rides
Bill Bushnell

In ba.bicycles duh wrote:
Bill Bushnell wrote:
The bike actually handles a little bit better with the bodysock, as it
is called, tightening the steering and reducing the effect of fork flop
just a bit. Overheating is seldom a problem as there's almost always
enough air movement underneath to facilitate convection. In direct sun,
the bodysock keeps the body shaded. Aside from these benefits, the
front bubble and the lycra bodysock are a good streamlining compromise,
allowing a 15-20% speed increase (in the 20-30 mph range) for the same
applied power, but only adding 3-5 lbs weight.

See http://www.easyracers.com/ for more info.

What about cross-winds?

What about them?

I find riding in crosswinds no worse on a socked bike than on an upright bike.
It takes some practice to anticipate side-winds and to gauge the appropriate
compensation, much like driving a high-profile vehicle in windy conditions, but
the skill can be learned. The worst part is having the sock bow inward and afoul
of my legs while pedaling. Gusty winds can be difficult, but can still be ridden
through at moderate speed if the gusts are about 35 mph or less. It helps not to
be too lightweight. My weight plus bike weight comes out to around 225 lbs.
The effect of streamlining improves under adverse winds.

--
Bill Bushnell
http://pobox.com/~bushnell/