Once more with feeling

Old August 21st 08, 07:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
SLAVE of THE STATE

Default Once more with feeling

On Aug 21, 3:18*am, Ted van de Weteringe
wrote:
SLAVE of THE STATE schreef:

I totally misread this earlier sentence: "I never went all out (max HR
187)." *I read it as your max HR is 187 and you didn't go to it.

Ah, sorry, yes 187 session max.

You also wrote "when I was 19-22 that my AT is about 174." *That sure
does seem fractionally low for having had a max HR of "205 or so."

Well, that could be part of it: maybe I remembered incorrectly and it
was 176 and perhaps that was underestimated by 4 or 5. Still not in the
league of your narrow 180/187 spread.

I have no idea what would be "normal" across a population. I just
note the difference, that's all. I was actually surprised at my own
narrow spread, and would have guessed it to be not possible.

Also, different sports (more or
less muscle mass engaged, body position) have different heart rate
characteristics.

I didn't know that. Some people have called out a detachment between
power output and HR, but I haven't found the arguments too compelling
on an individual-per-sport basis. (I mean power out v HR under the
specific conditions of well-rested, well-trained, and at AT.)

But I never saw an appreciable difference between my HR
in rowing and cycling. I seem to remember a hill climb when I was quite
fit, went all out, was totally knackered at the top and always had 180
on the HRM. That suggests to me that my AT was a little lower than that.

My guess (for me) came from a 50-min crit where every time I looked at
my HR monitor it was 179-181-ish -- that lasted pretty much the entire
race, and I already knew my max.

without anything fancy -- no gadgets of any kind. *My best fitness
came from riding with better people.

I know. My post was a covert attempt at getting dating advice.

Okay then -- You need to train hard with better looking women.

Old August 21st 08, 07:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

SLAVE of THE STATE wrote:
Okay then -- You need to train hard with better looking women.

Does the way they look affect power output ?
Old August 21st 08, 07:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ted van de Weteringe

Donald Munro schreef:
SLAVE of THE STATE wrote:
Okay then -- You need to train hard with better looking women.

Does the way they look affect power output ?

I'm afraid it's reversely correlated. Looker = easy side by side,
minger = drop her.
Old August 25th 08, 12:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Robert Chung

On Aug 21, 1:19*pm, Ted van de Weteringe
wrote:

I know; if Chung chimes in it'll also be to call me a dumbass for not
getting a power meter.

Mafkees:

You're a dumbass, but I wouldn't've said it was for not getting a
power meter. I like, and use, RPE too. The thing is, it wasn't until I
got a PM that I figured out how much variability there is in PE for
the same measured output. There are lots of reasons why HR and watts
can diverge and one of the things I've learned is not to obsess about
any single training session. That's pretty liberating.

Old August 25th 08, 12:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Robert Chung

On Aug 25, 1:19*pm, Robert Chung wrote:
That's pretty liberating.

I'll add that another liberating thing is not spending too much time
chasing numbers. Typically, I (now) know before I start a training
ride what I'm supposed to be doing, then all's you can do is all's you
can do. When I ride, the most important number I want to see on my
display is the time so I can finish my Greg-sponsored ride before the
kid gets off from school. Then I download the data and spend 30
seconds checking to see if I met the training goal. Then I ignore
everything else. The PM has been a great time saver.
Old August 25th 08, 03:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

Robert Chung wrote:

I'll add that another liberating thing is not spending too much time
chasing numbers. Typically, I (now) know before I start a training ride
what I'm supposed to be doing, then all's you can do is all's you can do.
When I ride, the most important number I want to see on my display is the
time so I can finish my Greg-sponsored ride before the kid gets off from
school. Then I download the data and spend 30 seconds checking to see if I
met the training goal. Then I ignore everything else. The PM has been a
great time saver.

Perhaps you can put in a grant for a nanny so you can do longer afternoon
training rides. I'm sure greg will oblige.

Old August 26th 08, 12:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
SLAVE of THE STATE

On Aug 25, 7:52*am, Donald Munro wrote:
Robert Chung wrote:
I'll add that another liberating thing is not spending too much time
chasing numbers. Typically, I (now) know before I start a training ride
what I'm supposed to be doing, then all's you can do is all's you can do.
When I ride, the most important number I want to see on my display is the
time so I can finish my Greg-sponsored ride before the kid gets off from
school. Then I download the data and spend 30 seconds checking to see if I
met the training goal. Then I ignore everything else. The PM has been a
great time saver.

Perhaps you can put in a grant for a nanny so you can do longer afternoon
training rides. I'm sure greg will oblige.

Cold and careless,

What about the children? His children might be trucked off to publik
skools. Don't you even think about that? He needs a grant to ged-em-
oughta-there!

Old August 26th 08, 12:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ted van de Weteringe

Robert Chung wrote:
Mafkees:
[...] The thing is, it wasn't until I
got a PM that I figured out how much variability there is in PE for
the same measured output.

Between sessions you mean? My point about too much diversion I made with
one session in mind.

[...] one of the things I've learned is not to obsess about
any single training session. That's pretty liberating.

Thanks. To bang on about HR just a little more, I know it also varies
with temperature, mental or physical fatigue level, time of the month
(last one not for me) and probably more. I also acknowledge that trend
is the important thing (isn't it always? well I suppose in life the
timepoint of birth is most important, not the trend of being dead for
most eternity). That is the reason I asked: because I do not know after
one session. A few weeks of wearing the HRM may answer my own question.

I Will Not Obsess About Numbers.
Old August 26th 08, 01:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article
,

wrote:

I know; if Chung chimes in it'll also be to call me a dumbass for not
getting a power meter.

Mafkees:

You're a dumbass, but I wouldn't've said it was for not getting a
power meter. I like, and use, RPE too. The thing is, it wasn't until I
got a PM that I figured out how much variability there is in PE for
the same measured output. There are lots of reasons why HR and watts
can diverge and one of the things I've learned is not to obsess about
any single training session. That's pretty liberating.

But you're still slow, right?

Old August 26th 08, 01:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article
,

Robert Chung wrote:
I'll add that another liberating thing is not spending too much time
chasing numbers. Typically, I (now) know before I start a training ride
what I'm supposed to be doing, then all's you can do is all's you can do.
When I ride, the most important number I want to see on my display is the
time so I can finish my Greg-sponsored ride before the kid gets off from
school. Then I download the data and spend 30 seconds checking to see if I
met the training goal. Then I ignore everything else. The PM has been a
great time saver.

Perhaps you can put in a grant for a nanny so you can do longer afternoon
training rides. I'm sure greg will oblige.

Cold and careless,

What about the children? His children might be trucked off to publik
skools. Don't you even think about that? He needs a grant to ged-em-
oughta-there!

Chung: Greg's trying to get you a voucher system. And they say
libertarians are heartless!

God bless Greg, and his love for the Chunglet!

Feeling a bit of a tit Ekul Namsob UK 8 April 15th 07 09:06 AM
I Love This Feeling Jimbo(san) Mountain Biking 14 August 28th 06 03:56 PM
feeling guilty recycled-one General 32 April 18th 06 01:19 PM
I have a feeling... Stewart Fleming Racing 16 July 16th 05 04:12 PM
Feeling better now nobody760 UK 27 February 27th 04 12:58 PM