BR7 - AlpeDueEast ride

Old August 2nd 04, 12:02 AM
flyingdutch

Default BR7 - AlpeDueEast ride

tonykara Wrote:
im there....shoppo 7:20

well, that was different!

Did someone say cold!?!?!?
brass monkeys were heard to go clang...

that extra loop out past Kangaroo Ground to Watson's Creek was cool.
pity my mate didnt mention the pave-come-roadworks stretch tho.
definetely looking to do that again in future. looks like it may only
be days/weeks away from being finished so more new smooth tarmac to
whizz down

Tony even suggested doing the much-feared Austin Hospital hill.
these BR's must be doing good cos didnt feel nearly as tuff as we
expected

cuttin back on the fried stuff this week. me thinks im carrying too
much ballast

--
flyingdutch

Old August 2nd 04, 03:39 AM
kyra

I was there at 7.35am... you guys had already gone! spewing... I just
rode down to kew boulevard for 2 loops and rode back home... 62km for
an early sunday was ok.

--
kyra

Old August 2nd 04, 12:41 PM
Geoff

"flyingdutch" wrote in
message ...

tonykara Wrote:
im there....shoppo 7:20

well, that was different!

Did someone say cold!?!?!?
brass monkeys were heard to go clang...

Cold, Freezing would be a better word for it.
The Temp Stats from my HRM a
Min = 0
Avg = 4
Max = 19 (That must have been either when the sun was shining directly on
the HRM or when I was sitting behind a bus at the lights on the way home).
End of ride Temp = 12

that extra loop out past Kangaroo Ground to Watson's Creek was cool.
pity my mate didnt mention the pave-come-roadworks stretch tho.
definetely looking to do that again in future. looks like it may only
be days/weeks away from being finished so more new smooth tarmac to
whizz down

Agreed, I really enjoyed the uphill bits on Alma Road when we turned left
off the KGround - Yarra Glen Rd. Lots of small steep climbs but short
enough to not hurt too much. btw. the first climb on this leg (the one
where I think we all had the "Oh ****" look on our faces) was 200m long and
had an avg gradient of 12% however there were sections of this part that
were 17%.

Tony even suggested doing the much-feared Austin Hospital hill.

The "Col du Burgundy St".

these BR's must be doing good cos didnt feel nearly as tuff as we
expected

I hopped on the SRM equiped ergo tonight at training and compared to the
last time I used it about three weeks ago I recorded a 20W gain in my avg
power output at AT (and 95 cadence). I'm also finding that my strength and
endurance efforts are getting easier. So I have to agree it's definitely
doing some good although I am now finding it harder to spin at cadences any
higher than 135rpm for anything longer than a minute.

Geoff

Old August 2nd 04, 12:58 PM
DRS

"Geoff" wrote in message

"flyingdutch"
wrote in message

[...]

Did someone say cold!?!?!?
brass monkeys were heard to go clang...

Cold, Freezing would be a better word for it.
The Temp Stats from my HRM a
Min = 0
Avg = 4
Max = 19 (That must have been either when the sun was shining
directly on the HRM or when I was sitting behind a bus at the lights
on the way home). End of ride Temp = 12

The Temp Stat from my bed: toasty.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old August 2nd 04, 02:04 PM
hippy

Geoff
I hopped on the SRM equiped ergo tonight at training and compared to
the last time I used it about three weeks ago I recorded a 20W gain in

my avg power output at AT (and 95 cadence). I'm also finding that my
strength and endurance efforts are getting easier. So I have to agree

it's definitely doing some good although I am now finding it harder

to spin
at cadences any higher than 135rpm for anything longer than a

minute.

Damn! Looks like I have some catching up to do bike toys.. I.. I
mean.. bike _tools_ yeah.

What's an SRM cost? Why didn't you get the Polar power meter?
How come you have it on your trainer and not a road or track bike?
Wanna sell it cheap? :P
How does it get used wrt your training?

Looks like you take this a little more seriously than some of us (no
names... HIPPY! ). Do you have a coach or are you self-coached?

I'm thinking of getting some proper coaching..
1) because I can afford it
2) because I want to see if it helps me win
3) because I like winning!!

I find it easy to push myself in a race, but with no goals, the rest of
my
time is spent either riding too hard too often or not hard enough. I
was
thinking of using the coaching as a means to focus my energy on
getting
better race results - do you have any opinions on this logic/illogic?

hippy
I bought a Polar cadence sensor on the weekend. I know it pales to
an SRM but it's all I got recently okay! :P

--
hippy

Old August 2nd 04, 02:06 PM
tonykara

flyingdutch Wrote:
on location epsisode?
wotch-ewe-torkin-bout-willis???

damn... ....i make one joke and no one gets it......you know the
show get away...th one with all the hot women? they allways say they
are going on location to some exotic place like broadmedows or west
heidelberg.. well i thought it would be funny to describe a trip to
beach road in the same way.

i hope this has eased your enquisitiveness

--
tonykara

Old August 2nd 04, 03:08 PM
Geoff

"hippy" wrote in message

Damn! Looks like I have some catching up to do bike toys.. I.. I
mean.. bike _tools_ yeah.

What's an SRM cost?

The SRM is not mine. It's on one of the ergo bikes at the location where I
train. The SRM is the Pro model with a Powercontrol IV which also has the
Power-Torque Analysis option.
Power-Torque Analysis lets you see a live graphical representation of your
pedalstroke. Very Cool
Price Tag = $lots.

Why didn't you get the Polar power meter?

Too much crap to have attached to the bike.

How does it get used wrt your training?

Used for gauging improvement in power output for a given type of training
session. The ergo sessions are a controlled environment so comparisons
between similar sessions is relatively easy. Also used by coach for Lactic
Acid Tolerance Testing. ie Start off at 100W at 100RPM and increasing the
effort by 50W increments every 3 minutes whilst maintaining the same cadence
(usually I fall apart at the 350W mark). Blood is tested at end of each 3
minutes and the data, including HR at time of sample, recorded for later
input into a PC program that calculates LT, AT, and HRmax.

Looks like you take this a little more seriously than some of us (no
names... HIPPY! ). Do you have a coach or are you self-coached?

Coached by accredited coach.

I'm thinking of getting some proper coaching..
1) because I can afford it
2) because I want to see if it helps me win
3) because I like winning!!

All good reasons. Speak to one of the Club Coaches at Blackburn CC and see
what they recommend. If they are unable to provide what you want they may
know someone who can.

I find it easy to push myself in a race, but with no goals, the rest of
my
time is spent either riding too hard too often or not hard enough. I
was
thinking of using the coaching as a means to focus my energy on
getting
better race results - do you have any opinions on this logic/illogic?

A coach keeps you motivated and on track by using a training program and
helping you stick to it. If you have any realistic goals planned they will
help you to reach them. Remember the coach is just your guide to achieving
a reachable goal, they do not do it for you.

Geoff