Lights for road riding

Old September 4th 06, 08:10 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Duncan

Default Lights for road riding

sinus wrote:

While flashing may be more visible , it also is seems to
scream out "slow bicycle". I have been turned in front of a number of
times with clearly flashing lights. I think distance perception is
harder for an oncoming vehicle.

I think you're correct here..

I've had many a vehicle wait for me with my 3W white luxeon+10deg lens
on the front, when they had plenty of room to get in front of me....
but on the flipside, I had some bloke ask me the other night "where are
your lights?" when I went past him.... so I clearly need to add a
wide-angle light to the arsenal.

duncan

Old September 4th 06, 08:27 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Travis

dgarry wrote:
Hi all,
Just wondering are using for a front light for night time road riding
.. I'm looking for a light so that I'm see and I can see with it also..

Any suggestions?

Yep, you're in luck.

A few months ago Torpedo.com had dual beam halogen light sets for $99NZ
and half the newsgroup ran out to buy them. I've got a set and am
quite happy with them.

Well now they're clearing out their last stock of them:

http://www.torpedo7.com/page/austral...nce/ACLRH-20_C

Travis

Old September 4th 06, 11:06 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Artoi

In article
,

On 2006-09-04, Artoi (aka Bruce)
In article ,
dgarry wrote:

Hi all,Just wondering are using for a front light for night time road
riding.. I'm looking for a light so that I'm see and I can see with it
also..Any suggestions?ThanksDavid-- dgarry

I was in the same boat recently. The key is how much light do you need
to see.

Riding in Sydney inner West, I bought a front white and rear red combo
set and found it to be more than adequate. It's 5 white LEDs at the
front and is good enough to supplement the street lighting up to 10m and
it's clear enough for others to see. The rear red has 7 LEDs and has
various flash pattern. The brand is called Basta. I think it's pretty
widely available. The other advantage is that it runs on just 2 AA
batteries for the front white. So it's relatively light.

Note that any flash pattern that doesn't simply flash all LEDs on then
all LEDs off, is next to useless.

This one does flash per your description.

I've seen lights that have 9 LEDs, and one of the patterns is to
continually scan up and down, a single LED at a time. So it's now 9
times less bright, and from 200m, you wouldn't be able to tell that it
is scanning at all -- it just appears as a constant light 9 times less
bright than what it should be.

The rear red light has 3 options. Steady on, flashing all 7 LEDs,
scanning.
Old September 4th 06, 11:08 AM posted to aus.bicycle
alison_b

On 2006-09-04, Artoi (aka Bruce)
In article ,
dgarry wrote:

[...]

If you alternately switch half on, then you simply are left with a
light half as bright, as from a distance, you can't pick the scanning
pattern.

--
TimC
Beware of Programmers who carry screwdrivers.

Even worse, I think, is 'blink' is too slow... some cyclists spend a
good part of the time invisible because of this. If it is too slow for
a glance to *always* see it, then it is impossible for a driver glancing
in a mirror to see it.

ali

--
alison_b

Old September 4th 06, 11:09 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Artoi

In article . com,
"Duncan" wrote:

sinus wrote:

While flashing may be more visible , it also is seems to
scream out "slow bicycle". I have been turned in front of a number of
times with clearly flashing lights. I think distance perception is
harder for an oncoming vehicle.

I think you're correct here..

I've had many a vehicle wait for me with my 3W white luxeon+10deg lens
on the front, when they had plenty of room to get in front of me....
but on the flipside, I had some bloke ask me the other night "where are
your lights?" when I went past him.... so I clearly need to add a
wide-angle light to the arsenal.

I suspect more of a case of single light vs two headlights of a car.
Distance and motion is harder to judge when there's only one point light
source.
Old September 4th 06, 11:43 AM posted to aus.bicycle
adam85

"Artoi" wrote in message
In article . com,
"Duncan" wrote:

sinus wrote:

While flashing may be more visible , it also is seems to
scream out "slow bicycle". I have been turned in front of a number of
times with clearly flashing lights. I think distance perception is
harder for an oncoming vehicle.

I think you're correct here..

I've had many a vehicle wait for me with my 3W white luxeon+10deg lens
on the front, when they had plenty of room to get in front of me....
but on the flipside, I had some bloke ask me the other night "where are
your lights?" when I went past him.... so I clearly need to add a
wide-angle light to the arsenal.

I suspect more of a case of single light vs two headlights of a car.
Distance and motion is harder to judge when there's only one point light
source.
--

One thing I've noticed with a single light on roadbars, is that the hoods
and your hands can obscure the light to traffic from the front left around

Adam

Old September 4th 06, 12:09 PM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2006-09-04, adam85 (aka Bruce)
One thing I've noticed with a single light on roadbars, is that the hoods
and your hands can obscure the light to traffic from the front left around
45 degrees. Commonly this is on roundabouts with traffic entering on the
left. I took an idea from dutchie (I think?) and stuck one of those little
flashers on my helmet with velco. Dorky...but effective.

Oi! Is not dorky!

--
TimC
Ah, so many of life's little problems can be solved by head
Old September 4th 06, 02:57 PM posted to aus.bicycle
BrettS

Artoi wrote:

In article . com,
"Duncan" wrote:

sinus wrote:

While flashing may be more visible , it also is seems to
scream out "slow bicycle". I have been turned in front of a number of
times with clearly flashing lights. I think distance perception is
harder for an oncoming vehicle.

I think you're correct here..

I've had many a vehicle wait for me with my 3W white luxeon+10deg lens
on the front, when they had plenty of room to get in front of me....
but on the flipside, I had some bloke ask me the other night "where are
your lights?" when I went past him.... so I clearly need to add a
wide-angle light to the arsenal.

I suspect more of a case of single light vs two headlights of a car.
Distance and motion is harder to judge when there's only one point light
source.
--

Here's an idea. Headlights in the brake/gear levers.

Briftights™

--
BrettS
Old September 4th 06, 10:37 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Artoi

In article ,
BrettS wrote:

Here's an idea. Headlights in the brake/gear levers.

Briftights

Bar end lights are already available I thought. Here comes the Christmas
tree!
Old September 5th 06, 01:58 AM posted to aus.bicycle
thefathippy

dgarry wrote:
Hi all,
Just wondering are using for a front light for night time road riding
.. I'm looking for a light so that I'm see and I can see with it also..

Any suggestions?
Thanks
David

Make your own! It's not hard to make basic lights, and the quality is
only limited by your imagination and materials.

I have several examples he

http://www.thefathippy.com

You can do better! ;^)

Tony F

Do Bicycle LED Lights Provide Light for Riding? Matt O'Toole General 0 December 13th 05 07:31 PM
questions about generator lights dvt Techniques 34 October 17th 05 03:40 AM
What bulb for dynamo. Martin Dann UK 352 July 22nd 05 07:12 AM
New resource, Compare Night Riding Bike Lights AR R8CR General 1 November 25th 04 05:17 PM
I will treat red lights and stop signs like yield signs Willy West Social Issues 8 August 12th 04 05:06 PM