Securing bikes on a (car) rack

Old September 4th 06, 11:45 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Jules

Default Securing bikes on a (car) rack

Doing a bit of a (4 wheeled) road trip at the end of the month and plan
on taking the bikes to for some 2 wheeled fun along the way.

Neither of them are particularly valuable, but not so cheap that I'd
feel comfortable leaving them unsecured on a regular clamp-on bicycle rack.

But I'd like to avoid removing them and locking them somewhere every
time we stop.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how I could go about securing the
bikes in-situ on the rack? A chain and padlock is an obvious start, but
there's no big holes on the rack to run the chain through that I can
think of.

Of course I've never been adverse to some, ahem, modifications ;-)

Cheers,
Jules
Old September 4th 06, 11:54 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Artoi

In article ,
Jules wrote:

Doing a bit of a (4 wheeled) road trip at the end of the month and plan
on taking the bikes to for some 2 wheeled fun along the way.

Neither of them are particularly valuable, but not so cheap that I'd
feel comfortable leaving them unsecured on a regular clamp-on bicycle rack.

But I'd like to avoid removing them and locking them somewhere every
time we stop.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how I could go about securing the
bikes in-situ on the rack? A chain and padlock is an obvious start, but
there's no big holes on the rack to run the chain through that I can
think of.

At top of the car and clamped down using those railed bike carrier? I
have a front fork lock version from Thule that has a key lock. When
locked, it's pretty secure. Most other brands have similar. At the top
of your vehicle, at least it's harder for any casual thief to reach...

Old September 5th 06, 12:56 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Jules

--

Nah it's a towbar one, which is nice because I can leave the wheels on.
Old September 5th 06, 01:21 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Artoi

In article ,
Jules wrote:

At top of the car and clamped down using those railed bike carrier? I
have a front fork lock version from Thule that has a key lock. When
locked, it's pretty secure. Most other brands have similar. At the top
of your vehicle, at least it's harder for any casual thief to reach...

Nah it's a towbar one, which is nice because I can leave the wheels on.

Oh I see. But I wouldn't do it. If someone accidentally reverses their
car into your bikes in the parking lot, you'll find a sorry sight in the
morning. And if anyone who decides to borrow a few spare parts from your
bike, then you'll be carry dead weights.
Old September 5th 06, 06:36 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc

Jules wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions about how I could go about securing the
bikes in-situ on the rack? A chain and padlock is an obvious start, but
there's no big holes on the rack to run the chain through that I can
think of.

My rack has two hole (one either side to lock the top plate to the
bottom plate (so 2/3 bikes can not be removed. then I run cable and
chain. through the frame and wheels and lock it together. You will need
2-3 metres. Old tubes are good protection from scratching, or a tin with
thinned plasti-dip might also work (although this stuff is a dirt magnet).

Out of sight, out of mind, drap a cheap poly tarp over the lot so people
can not see the bicycles underneah. tie up with rope.
Old September 5th 06, 10:24 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Graeme Dods

Jules wrote:
But I'd like to avoid removing them and locking them somewhere every
time we stop.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how I could go about securing the
bikes in-situ on the rack? A chain and padlock is an obvious start, but
there's no big holes on the rack to run the chain through that I can
think of.

As it's a tow ball carrier, what about using your cars existing boot
lock? Just get a length of steel cable, bolt something at either end
(about the size of a tennis ball but more solid). Thread the cable
through the bike, open the boot lid, chuck the ends of the cable in the
boot, close it, lock it and walk away. It won't stop a determined
thief, but nothing will [1], you just need to put off the opportunistic
gits who'll nick anything that's not tied down.

Graeme

[1] And having opened my bike lock with a rolled up business card in
about 30 seconds (including the time take to tear and roll the card)
earlier this afternoon, it seems they don't have to be that determined
:-(

Old September 5th 06, 01:03 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Artoi

In article . com,
"Graeme Dods" wrote:

[1] And having opened my bike lock with a rolled up business card in
about 30 seconds (including the time take to tear and roll the card)
earlier this afternoon, it seems they don't have to be that determined
:-(

You are not talking about one of those U-locks are you?
Old September 6th 06, 06:39 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Graeme Dods

Artoi wrote:
In article . com,
"Graeme Dods" wrote:

[1] And having opened my bike lock with a rolled up business card in
about 30 seconds (including the time take to tear and roll the card)
earlier this afternoon, it seems they don't have to be that determined
:-(

You are not talking about one of those U-locks are you?

That's the ones, mind you most types of lock which uses a circular key
is just as vulnerable. I've since found that it's easier just to use a
rolled up bit of paper rather than faff about rolling a business card
smoothly. I've not had 100% success rate (as I've only spent about half
an hour playing at it that's not surprising), but it's worrying enough
that I'm buying new locks.

Graeme

Old September 6th 06, 07:28 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Artoi

In article .com,
"Graeme Dods" wrote:

Artoi wrote:
In article . com,
"Graeme Dods" wrote:

[1] And having opened my bike lock with a rolled up business card in
about 30 seconds (including the time take to tear and roll the card)
earlier this afternoon, it seems they don't have to be that determined
:-(

You are not talking about one of those U-locks are you?

That's the ones, mind you most types of lock which uses a circular key
is just as vulnerable. I've since found that it's easier just to use a
rolled up bit of paper rather than faff about rolling a business card
smoothly. I've not had 100% success rate (as I've only spent about half
an hour playing at it that's not surprising), but it's worrying enough
that I'm buying new locks.

Ok, I'll have to make sure my U-lock remain unlubricated, nice and stiff
to screw up those fake keys.
Old September 6th 06, 08:11 AM posted to aus.bicycle
gplama

Jules Wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions about how I could go about securing
the
bikes in-situ on the rack?

Can't be any harder than securing SNAKES ON A PLANE... oh wait...!!!

--
gplama