Newbie Roadie

Old September 7th 06, 12:10 AM posted to aus.bicycle
adam85

Default Newbie Roadie

"Bleve" wrote in message
So *you're* the one still doing that?!

It's a good a starting point as any other! Leave the clamp bolts loose, jump
on a trainer and move them to where they feel good. With my Cinelli Neo bars
here's where they ended up, although the stem has dropped 25mm since this
photo.

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/p...es/Kharma2.JPG

Adam

Old September 8th 06, 05:26 AM posted to aus.bicycle
gumby

Plodder (remove DAKS to reply) wrote:
--
Frank

Drop DACKS to reply
"adam85" wrote in message

Plodder Wrote:
G'day all,

I've bought me a "proper" road bike - Azzuri Uno. It'll do for now. I
have a question so basic that I can't find the answers through
Googling:

I need some advice on placing the levers on the bars in such a way that
the
hoods are in the right place for me. Is there a specific place they
need to
go and I adjust reach with stem size? I've brought the levers up the
curve a
bit but now find that using the brakes requires quite a stretch. If I
put
the levers on the curve in such a way that I can reach the brakes more
easily, I feel like I'm lying on the top tube when I'm on the hoods. I
know
I'm not - I'm just very used to my MTBs and flat-bar roadie.

Is this just a case of getting used to a different riding position?
The
bike's not too big (I was careful with the sizing) and the distance
from
seat to centre of the bars is the same as my MTBs.

Told you it was basic!

Cheers,

Frank

--
Frank

Drop DACKS to reply

Some articles that you might find useful.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?...tters08-07#Pro
http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?...8-08#Handlebar
http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?...ters08-14#More

As a starting point, it's normal to set the bars up so the lower
section of the bars are horizontal i.e. parallel to the ground, and the
levers set so the brake levers are vertical. From here you can play
around with the angle of the bars and the position of the levers to
find a setup that works in and out of the saddle on the hoods and in
the drops. I've used rubber shims before for a rider with small hands
to prevent the levers from returning all the way, and this helps quite
a bit. From your description that might help you a bit, or maybe your
stem is a bit long. The shape and depth of the drops plays a big part
as well.

Hope that helps
Adam

--
adam85

Thanks to all for the tips. I bought the bike from Glenn Parker's in
Cannington - they'll help me with the initial set up. I'm an inveterate
fiddler though, hence trying it myself. I'm getting good at retaping bars!

About 10 years ago someone had a fit kit set up in Freo as a promo. I got
fitted on my MTB and noted the measurements. All my MTBs are now set up the
same way and are comfy. I'm guessing the old bod is having trouble adjusting
to a new position - at least I still have muscle memory even if the real
memory is fading

My main concern in getting the position correct is that I've had carpal
tunnel surgery which opened up badly compressed tunnels but the nerves are
damaged after many years of compression so I still have lots of trouble. It
makes me very picky with bike setup. I'm considering a set of bars with flat
tops (flat near the stem, that is) which seem to me to be less likely to
compress my wrists when I'm riding with my hands there. I want to get my
position right before I shell out for more bars.

Tricky buggers, eh? Setting up an MTB is easier! I'm still getting used to
the idea of riding without covering the brakes - emergency stops are taking
some practice!

Cheers,

Frank

Definately go for two layers of bar tape, DeF here on a.b swears by
it!! That is when he isnt worrying sheep.

Old September 8th 06, 05:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Paulie-AU

adam85 Wrote:
"Bleve" wrote in message
So *you're* the one still doing that?!

It's a good a starting point as any other! Leave the clamp bolts loose,
jump
on a trainer and move them to where they feel good. With my Cinelli Neo
bars
here's where they ended up, although the stem has dropped 25mm since
this
photo.

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/p...es/Kharma2.JPG

Adam

Show off!!!!

--
Paulie-AU

Bike magazine joke. (I'm a newbie, and I don't get it....) Hell and High Water Marketplace 9 August 14th 05 01:41 AM
Rack for a Ford Focus - newbie MIB UK 7 August 13th 05 09:48 PM
FS: Gunnar Roadie Frame/Fork Matt Marketplace 1 January 23rd 05 10:23 PM
Fixed Roadie Question Gags Australia 6 October 26th 04 10:36 PM
Stupid newbie question about lightening bike *John* Mountain Biking 14 September 19th 03 03:39 PM