Cars to be banned from Hull city centre

Old October 12th 11, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

Default Cars to be banned from Hull city centre

This scheme will make my ride home from work on a Saturday night much
safer as I ride down that street on the way home.

"Traffic will not be allowed down the street between the Alfred Gelder
Street junction and Liberty Lane for the next three Saturdays. Only
emergency vehicles will have access. The restrictions will be in force
during a six-hour period, starting at 9pm.

The initiative is aimed at improving the safety of people moving
between bars along the route.

Chief Inspector Barry Longstaff, of Humberside Police, said: "I
believe the introduction of this pedestrian zone will create a safer
environment for those within the night-time economy.

"We are trying to create a safer place for people to work, visit and
live."

It is the first time a major city centre road has been temporarily
closed to provide safety for revellers since Castle Street was shut
during last year's Freedom Festival.

However, officials say the Lowgate experiment could become a permanent
weekend measure if it proves successful.

Chief Inspector Longstaff said discussions with licensed premises in
the area as well as hackney carriage and taxi drivers had been
overwhelmingly positive.

He said: "Everyone involved is fully behind the promotion of a vibrant
and safe Lowgate area."

Ellie Burrell, owner of Jaz Bar, said the Old Town's narrow pavements
and large numbers of visitors were a dangerous mix. She said: "Safety
is the most important consideration when there are so many people
moving between the different bars in the Old Town, because it is a
busy road."

During the closures, temporary barriers will be placed across Lowgate.

Access will be limited to emergency vehicles and residents while
alternative routes for drivers will be signposted.

Mobile public order patrols, including police and council CCTV, will
continue to operate in the area.

Councillor John Hewitt, cabinet member for neighbourhood and customer
services, said: "Lowgate is a busy road with a very active night-time
economy.

"Coupled with traffic and pedestrians, it can pose a risk.

"Similar schemes are working well elsewhere, including S****horpe and
Doncaster, and I hope the Saturday night trials will offer a solution
and help make Lowgate a safer place."

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.c...ail/story.html

--
Simon Mason
Old October 12th 11, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 04:02:12 -0700 (PDT), Simon Mason
wrote:

This scheme will make my ride home from work on a Saturday night much
safer as I ride down that street on the way home.

Oh - so it is your intention to deliberately break the law is it?

I think I will contact Hull's finest and ask if they can send three officers
round to hear me grass you up.

I think you could actually be genuinely stupid - have you ever taken an
intelligence test?

--
Simple Simon Mason - who cycles at 25mph in 20mph limits just because the limits do not apply to cyclists.
This includes exceeding the speed limit past three schools. A total disregard for the well-being of vulnerable road users.

Old October 12th 11, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

which bit of 'pedestrian zone' is hard to understand?

Old October 12th 11, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

A knock on benefit I hadn't thought of.

"by CallMeSir
Wednesday, October 12 2011, 2:12PM

“I live on High Street and this is a very good idea. In my opinion
Lowgate should be completely pedestrianised, the damage that traffic
has gradually been doing to historic building on this road is a crime
in itself, particulary to the two churches the constant rumbling of
traffic is damaging these historic buildings.”

--
Simon Mason
Old October 12th 11, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Scion

Simon Mason wrote:

[...]

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.c...ay-night-ban-H
ull-city-centre/story-13537899-detail/story.html

--
Simon Mason

If it's a pedestrian zone then it will be illegal to ride there. Or is that
just sloppy wording for "no motorised traffic"?
Old October 12th 11, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Oct 12, 4:51*pm, Scion wrote:

"Similar schemes are working well elsewhere, including S****horpe and
Doncaster, and I hope the Saturday night trials will offer a solution
and help make Lowgate a safer place."

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.c...ay-night-ban-H
ull-city-centre/story-13537899-detail/story.html

--

If it's a pedestrian zone then it will be illegal to ride there. Or is that
just sloppy wording for "no motorised traffic"?- Hide quoted text -

I will report back in a few weeks to see if I get pulled by plod for
riding in that area.
Sounds like it only will apply to motor traffic.

--
Simon Mason

Old October 12th 11, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
[...]

There is nothing new in this story.

Old October 12th 11, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
ian

On Oct 12, 4:51 pm, Scion wrote:

"Similar schemes are working well elsewhere, including S****horpe and
Doncaster, and I hope the Saturday night trials will offer a solution
and help make Lowgate a safer place."

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.c...ay-night-ban-H
ull-city-centre/story-13537899-detail/story.html

--

If it's a pedestrian zone then it will be illegal to ride there. Or is
that
just sloppy wording for "no motorised traffic"?- Hide quoted text -

I will report back in a few weeks to see if I get pulled by plod for
riding in that area.
Sounds like it only will apply to motor traffic.

-----------------------------------]

Please will you post the helmet-cam video of plod pulling you? Any chance of
a decent soundtrack on it, too???

Old October 12th 11, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Oct 12, 4:51 pm, Scion wrote:

"Similar schemes are working well elsewhere, including S****horpe and
Doncaster, and I hope the Saturday night trials will offer a solution
and help make Lowgate a safer place."

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.c...ay-night-ban-H
ull-city-centre/story-13537899-detail/story.html

--

If it's a pedestrian zone then it will be illegal to ride there. Or is
that
just sloppy wording for "no motorised traffic"?- Hide quoted text -

I will report back in a few weeks to see if I get pulled by plod for
riding in that area.
Sounds like it only will apply to motor traffic.

-----------------------------------]

Please will you post the helmet-cam video of plod pulling you? Any chance of
a decent soundtrack on it, too???

No problem, but I don't wear a helmet, they are video sunglasses.
As for the soundtrack, that area will be booming with the latest
choons, so that won't be a problem.

--
Simon Mason
Old October 12th 11, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Parry

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 08:56:44 -0700 (PDT), Simon Mason
wrote:

I will report back in a few weeks to see if I get pulled by plod for
riding in that area.

Wouldn't it be simpler to read the road signs?