Fall/Winter Riding Motivation

Old October 1st 03, 12:27 PM
Kerry Nikolaisen

Default Fall/Winter Riding Motivation

I am curious to know when people from this list get in their M-F rides.
Here in the midwest, one maybe has 1-1.5 hours after work to ride,
although that window will be closed in a couple of weeks.

Morning riding is the same with the sun not lighting things up until
about 6:45 am.

Especially as fall progresses, when, and how often do you non-commuter
types get your rides in? Do folks just crank up the indoor trainer for
weekly rides, or go with lighting systems/cold weather gear?

Kerry "I'm having trouble getting motivated to ride at 5:45 am" Nikolaisen

Old October 1st 03, 04:28 PM
Bran

Kerry Nikolaisen spake thusly on or about Wed, 1 Oct
2003 11:27:38 UTC

- Kerry "I'm having trouble getting motivated to ride at 5:45 am" Nikolaisen
-

to quote the zen master: Just do it.

I personally prefer riding at -40C more than 38C but I ride everyday that I
have to go someplace and am well enough.
--
I hurt before the ride so fibro gives me a head
start on the rest of the pack. silver lining?

Old October 2nd 03, 08:34 AM
Hjalmar Duklęt

"Kerry Nikolaisen" wrote in message
ink.net...
I am curious to know when people from this list get in their M-F rides.
Here in the midwest, one maybe has 1-1.5 hours after work to ride,
although that window will be closed in a couple of weeks.

Morning riding is the same with the sun not lighting things up until
about 6:45 am.

Especially as fall progresses, when, and how often do you non-commuter
types get your rides in? Do folks just crank up the indoor trainer for
weekly rides, or go with lighting systems/cold weather gear?

Kerry "I'm having trouble getting motivated to ride at 5:45 am" Nikolaisen

I've already put lights on my MTB. Go to work at about 06:00 AM for a two
hours ride. Return back home @ 16:00 for anaother hour. Soon I'll have to
put studdied tires on. Ride all winter but it can be hard getting out @
06:00 AM when it's snowy and windy. Makes you tough I guess.
Hjalmar

Old October 2nd 03, 12:03 PM

Kerry Nikolaisen wrote:

: Especially as fall progresses, when, and how often do you non-commuter
: types get your rides in? Do folks just crank up the indoor trainer for
: weekly rides, or go with lighting systems/cold weather gear?

A trainer could be a good idea, especially if you use it for
measuring your power levels and your bike doesn't have such
function. Then again, do you want to ride the trainer for 6+
months? :-)

If you want to implement a regular training programme then rain,
snow and wind can be no obstacle. What really keeps one from
riding is the stuff between one's two ears. Maybe it's time to
edit your self-image... :-) Be sure to dress and gear up
appropriately.

That said, winter can be a good time for a change of focus. One
could go from racing to touring or off-road riding. Personally I
find winter a good time to cross-train and taper, though I still
commute a bit.

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html
varis at no spam please iki fi
Old October 2nd 03, 04:30 PM
AMH

Kerry Nikolaisen wrote in message link.net...
I am curious to know when people from this list get in their M-F rides.
Here in the midwest, one maybe has 1-1.5 hours after work to ride,
although that window will be closed in a couple of weeks.

Morning riding is the same with the sun not lighting things up until
about 6:45 am.

Especially as fall progresses, when, and how often do you non-commuter
types get your rides in? Do folks just crank up the indoor trainer for
weekly rides, or go with lighting systems/cold weather gear?

Kerry "I'm having trouble getting motivated to ride at 5:45 am" Nikolaisen

I get up and put on my flashing lights. Although it is easier for me
since NYC has thoughtfully provided my riding route with street
lights.

If I have to ride in winter gear I must have the sun shining on me. I
put away the bike for weekday rides in the winter tho my gf puts hers
on the trainer. If I'm in the mood I'll sometimes take the bike out in
January. Especially if I'm putting air in the tires. All of a sudden
I've got my riding gear on and I'm out the door. Don't know how it
happens.

Andy
Old October 2nd 03, 11:30 PM
saki

"Kerry Nikolaisen" wrote in message

Especially as fall progresses, when, and how often do you
non-commuter types get your rides in? Do folks just crank up the
indoor trainer for weekly rides, or go with lighting systems/cold
weather gear?

Kerry "I'm having trouble getting motivated to ride at 5:45 am"
Nikolaisen

I don't know the trick to getting motivated at 5:45am either, which is
about the time I go out. As someone zenfully mentioned, you just do it.
Once you're on the bike, the motivation to finish the ride eventually
kicks in. For me the first two minutes are the toughest; it's all
downhill (so to speak) from there.

We're not even into cold weather. Here in Los Angeles it's never really
bitingly cold (I remember one year when it got down to 42 degrees
fahrenheit). These early October mornings it's in the high fifties or low
sixties at that time of the morning. Weather-related problems like fog or
rain are rare. It's dark but I have lights and the streets are well-lit
so I don't have many excuses.

Frankly there's no other time for my ride, which is about six to eight
miles on weekdays. Evenings are out; traffic's no good then. And I have
to be back home by about 6:15am to get the kids roused and fed and walked
to the bus or school so a later morning ride is impractical.

Sometimes I think about how bad my knees will feel if I skip too many
morning workouts. Sometimes I say to myself "What would Lance do?" (this
works only occasionally though). Now and again I'll allow myself to buy
some nifty piece of new gear or upgrade the bike to increase my
obligation; to *not* go out would be a waste of all that good money, not
to mention somehow disrespectful to the bike.

You could also focus on how good it'll feel to finish the ride. Sometimes
this works for me too...it did this morning.

----

Non riding friend pi**ed me off today Barry Gaudet General 32 August 18th 04 06:34 PM
Riding a century Bob M General 26 October 12th 03 09:36 PM
Group Riding Dynamics Roy Zipris General 7 September 25th 03 02:39 AM
Riding facing traffic Bruce G Patrick General 4 August 12th 03 08:11 AM
Any DC area RBMers riding BikeDC? Luigi de Guzman General 3 August 9th 03 03:11 AM