BUSTED! PPB Catches Roubaix Theif

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 14th 18, 01:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default BUSTED! PPB Catches Roubaix Theif

When my Roubaix got stolen out of my garage (left the door open at night), I reported it to Portland Police Bureau as well as these "stolen bike" websites including Bike Index. Huge shout-out to BI for finding my bike on the meth-head sales site, OfferUp. BI gave me a heads up; I communicated with the seller, looked at the posted pictures and confirmed it was mine. BI had already looped-in PPB. I get a call from the officer today who tells me that he has made a date with the seller, and next thing I know, the bike is back. It was returned to me today by the PPB officer who busted the seller.. He came rolling down the street in front of my building, on a bike with the Roubaix rolling along side. Totally awesome.

It's kind of beat up with stuff missing -- like the rear hydraulic disc. Why that? The housing is just cut, and the brake is gone. So are the fenders and some other stuff. The PPB busted the seller who was a tweaker carrying meth and a back-pack filled with stolen electronics. The amazing part to me is that officer just handed me the bike. It didn't go into an evidence locker. Then he took my picture for a Twitter feed (PPB is really cracking down on bike thieves and posting their successes), and then gave me a bunch of stickers to put on my other bikes to register them. I got my bike back and a bunch of PPB swag. I'm going to tell my insurer that it can have the bike if it wants. I've got too many, although I did pay a big deductible.

Anyway, kudos to PPB and Bike Index.

-- Jay Beattie.