The problem of shimmy explained

Old July 17th 06, 07:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default The problem of shimmy explained

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 16:04:30 +1000, jur
wrote:

Ahhh, I see. Someone promised something to you, but you can't wait for
it like a good boy, now you're smashing your toys.

Dear Jur,

How can anyone smash a toy that you're afraid to put in plain sight?

You said click on the link to have the problem of shimmy explained,
but you won't explain it.

You simply lied in your post to this newsgroup, so now you're in the
embarrassing position of having numerous people point it out. No
apology, no oops-that-was-dumb, not even enough brains to keep quiet.

It's unlikely that you could astonish anyone by actually providing
even the ghost of an explanation, but let's keep playing twenty
questions . . .

You failed to answer whether the secret of shimmy was bigger than a
breadbox.

Is the secret of shimmy in this room?

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old July 17th 06, 08:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jur

Dear Carl,

'here' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_wobble) is my explanation in
words. Please don't throw any more of your toys out of the cot.

Sincerely,
Jur

--
jur

Old July 17th 06, 01:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RonSonic

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 17:15:41 +1000, jur
wrote:

Dear Carl,

'here' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_wobble) is my explanation in
words. Please don't throw any more of your toys out of the cot.

I don't see anything new in the wikipedia entry, but you might have pointed to
it earlier, before becoming so committed to you little game of "I've got a
secret."

Ron
Old July 17th 06, 02:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jur

RonSonic Wrote:
I don't see anything new in the wikipedia entry, but you might have
pointed to it earlier, before becoming so committed to you little game
of "I've got a
secret."

You don't see anything new? How about the key word NUTATION????

And it wasn't me who got so obsessed about secrecy, dude. Others played
the childish game of "well if you can't say it, then you don't know it".

--
jur

Old July 17th 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RonSonic

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 23:01:04 +1000, jur
wrote:

RonSonic Wrote:
I don't see anything new in the wikipedia entry, but you might have
pointed to it earlier, before becoming so committed to you little game
of "I've got a
secret."

You don't see anything new? How about the key word NUTATION????

And it wasn't me who got so obsessed about secrecy, dude. Others played
the childish game of "well if you can't say it, then you don't know it".

You are expected to show your work.

It is not so much that if "you can't say it, you don't know it" it's more a case
of "if you can't say it, then why the hell are you talking about it." Or, "if
you can't say it, then it's useless to us."

Look, we get lots of guys who blow through with some new "discovery" that'll
change cycling forever that turns out to be either commonplace or just plain
silly, or an "invention" that was last seen in the late nineteenth century.
These usually come with vague, meaningless descriptions (not unlike your
original post) solicitations for financial support (not unlike your original
post) and promises of world changing improvement (not unlike your original post)
to what is the most elegant and efficient mechanical appliance developed by man.

We're a little jaded by now.

Ron
Old July 17th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

jur wrote:
RonSonic Wrote:
I don't see anything new in the wikipedia entry, but you might have
pointed to it earlier, before becoming so committed to you little game
of "I've got a
secret."

You don't see anything new? How about the key word NUTATION????

Nope, sorry. That's an old word. ;-)

Honestly, from here, the nutation idea sounds like another flower on a
well-decorated cake. AFAICT, you haven't really proven it's a major
cause, and you haven't shown how knowing about it makes a critical
difference.

And it wasn't me who got so obsessed about secrecy, dude. Others played
the childish game of "well if you can't say it, then you don't know it".

Sorry, "dude," but you did start off in secrecy. And you haven't
convinced _anyone_ here that you've got anything significantly original
or practical. And, sorry to say, even if you have made the
mathematical breakthrough that would eliminate shimmy forever, I don't
think it's going to make you any money.

I don't think it's going to gain you any fame, either. The Nobel
committee is distracted by other things.

There are people here who could follow the math and check your ideas,
if you put them up in detail. I'd suggest you first add some graphics
to that Wiki entry to make your points easier to visualize. I'd also
suggest you concoct a definitive test to prove your ideas have value -
some sort of "anti-nutation" bike to banish the "death wobble"
phenomenon (um... which most of us never experience, anyway...).

Oh, and if you've got your math worked out and want all the glory and
fame that will bring, you need to submit it as a technical paper to,
perhaps, an ASME conference. Or to Human Power, the journal of the
HPVA.

Your glory and fame will consist of a nod during certain possible job
interviews, but it's something.

- Frank Krygowski

Old July 17th 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson

wrote:

RonSonic Wrote:
[...]

Not to mention trolled? eg