Riding a century

Old September 12th 03, 06:59 PM
Bob M

Default Riding a century

How far do people generally ride before riding a century? I ask because my
ride this Sunday is 100km, but I can also ride 100 miles. I'm thinking of
riding the 100 miles instead of the 100km. My long rides have been 55
miles (last week), 50 miles (the week before), 45 miles (two weeks ago)...
I only ride about 4 days a week, the other 3 days being about 20 miles a
day. Is this enough riding to ride 100 miles?

Thanks.

--
Bob M in CT
Remove 'x.' to reply
Old September 12th 03, 07:45 PM
Ron Hardin

I've done centuries accidentally just running diverse errands. A couple
of 25-mile distant round trips and there you are. It still takes a while
though.

Numb butt or hands is the most likely indicator of having done one by
mistake.
--
Ron Hardin

Old September 12th 03, 09:34 PM
Bob M

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 17:59:21 GMT, Bob M wrote:

How far do people generally ride before riding a century? I ask because
my ride this Sunday is 100km, but I can also ride 100 miles. I'm
thinking of riding the 100 miles instead of the 100km. My long rides
have been 55 miles (last week), 50 miles (the week before), 45 miles (two
weeks ago)... I only ride about 4 days a week, the other 3 days being
about 20 miles a day. Is this enough riding to ride 100 miles?

Thanks.

Well, I've found out that the 100km ride is about 56 miles, with 4,900 feet
of climbing, while the 100 mile ride is about 92 miles with 7,400 feet of
climbing. I rode 55 miles last week, but I don't know how much climbing
there was, although there's a lot. So, I'll probably stick to the 56
miles, especially if it rains.

--
Bob M in CT
Remove 'x.' to reply
Old September 13th 03, 03:07 PM
H. M. Leary

In article ,
Bob M wrote:

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 17:59:21 GMT, Bob M wrote:

How far do people generally ride before riding a century? I ask because
my ride this Sunday is 100km, but I can also ride 100 miles. I'm
thinking of riding the 100 miles instead of the 100km. My long rides
have been 55 miles (last week), 50 miles (the week before), 45 miles (two
weeks ago)... I only ride about 4 days a week, the other 3 days being
about 20 miles a day. Is this enough riding to ride 100 miles?

Thanks.

Well, I've found out that the 100km ride is about 56 miles, with 4,900 feet
of climbing, while the 100 mile ride is about 92 miles with 7,400 feet of
climbing. I rode 55 miles last week, but I don't know how much climbing
there was, although there's a lot. So, I'll probably stick to the 56
miles, especially if it rains.

Picking nits:

100km = 62.093 miles
100miles = a century, not 92miles

Enjoy the ride.

Has anyone seen my Gore-Tex socks???

HAND

Old September 13th 03, 03:45 PM
JC Henry

Did my first century yesterday. It was a very flat paved trail
(converted train "rail" track), but I did it on a fat tire offroad bike.
My previous best distance wise was 60 miles. I read somewhere it's best
to a 80 mile run before going to 100 but after 80 I could start to smell
the 100 so I just bit it and did the last 20.

Old September 13th 03, 05:24 PM
Dan Cosley

In article , JC Henry wrote:
Did my first century yesterday. It was a very flat paved trail
(converted train "rail" track), but I did it on a fat tire offroad bike.
My previous best distance wise was 60 miles. I read somewhere it's best
to a 80 mile run before going to 100 but after 80 I could start to smell
the 100 so I just bit it and did the last 20.

So the big question: how do you feel today?

-- Dan

--
Dan Cosley * http://www.cs.umn.edu/~cosley/)
GroupLens Research Lab, Univ of MN (http://movielens.umn.edu/ * 612.624.8372)
Old September 15th 03, 03:15 PM
Bob M

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 14:07:58 GMT, H. M. Leary
wrote:

In article ,
Bob M wrote:

[...]

I realize that. I got confused looking at the published maps of the rides -
- I thought those numbers were the listed lengths. They 100km ended up
being about 65 miles (although I rode 69) and the 100 miler ended up being
103 miles. It's kinda hard to make a ride that's exactly 100 miles,
especially in the northeast.

--
Bob M in CT
Remove 'x.' to reply
Old September 15th 03, 04:00 PM
Bob M

Default Riding a century -- Update

Well, I rode the 100km, which ended up being 69 miles due to my missing a
few turns. I felt fine at the end, even though my HR averaged 85 % of my
max HR for the 5 hours, 8 minutes I rode (4 hours, 45 minutes of saddle
time). I believe I could've rode the 100 miles, but it poured during my
ride, and it really poured when I was driving home. Of course, if I made
63 miles into 69 miles, maybe I would've made 102 miles into 120, which
might've been a bit too much.
Thanks for the help!
-- Bob M in CT
Remove 'x.' to reply
Old September 15th 03, 10:05 PM
Pat

x-no-archive:yes

Well, I rode the 100km, which ended up being 69 miles due to my missing a
few turns. I felt fine at the end, even though my HR averaged 85 % of my
max HR for the 5 hours, 8 minutes I rode (4 hours, 45 minutes of saddle
time). I believe I could've rode the 100 miles, but it poured during my
ride, and it really poured when I was driving home. Of course, if I made
63 miles into 69 miles, maybe I would've made 102 miles into 120, which
might've been a bit too much.
Thanks for the help!
-- Bob M in CT

I have discovered that if you don't feed totally wiped out at the end of the
ride, then you could have gone farther. If you feel somehow "cheated" that
the ride was over 'way too soon--then you certainly should have gone
farther. I felt this way earlier this summer after going 40 miles. I kicked
myself all the way home wishing I had gone ahead and ridden the 100K
instead.

Pat in TX

Old September 12th 03, 09:42 PM
bgaudet0801

"Bob M" wrote in message
news
How far do people generally ride before riding a century? I ask because

my
ride this Sunday is 100km, but I can also ride 100 miles. I'm thinking of
riding the 100 miles instead of the 100km. My long rides have been 55
miles (last week), 50 miles (the week before), 45 miles (two weeks ago)...
I only ride about 4 days a week, the other 3 days being about 20 miles a
day. Is this enough riding to ride 100 miles?

Cetaris paribus I wouldn't consider going from 55 miles to 100 miles too
much of a leap if you're comfortable at 55. [you're not completely exhausted
and drained afterwards] But I'd still recommend you leave the day free for
recuperation.

--
'Sell your sin
Just cash in' -Jewell

Non riding friend pi**ed me off today Barry Gaudet General 32 August 18th 04 06:34 PM
Riding with kids Horace General 27 September 9th 03 02:12 PM
Riding facing traffic Bruce G Patrick General 4 August 12th 03 08:11 AM
Any DC area RBMers riding BikeDC? Luigi de Guzman General 3 August 9th 03 03:11 AM
Sore knee since century Marlene Blanshay General 1 July 11th 03 10:29 AM