From wannabe to poseur -- My New Coker!

Old January 23rd 06, 12:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default From wannabe to poseur -- My New Coker!

Having dispatched one of my new year's resolutions two weeks early, i
now find myself gazing in terror at the yellow Coker Deluxe looming in
my great room. It came friday evening.

I have yet to name it.

I've been avoiding eye contact so as not to challenge it and evoke an
aggressive response from it.

I suppose it's been said before, but OMG, it's a lot bigger in person
than in the many dozens of pictures i've seen in the gallery! My 7
y.o. niece took one look at it yesterday and said "you're going to
break both your arms". Stupid kid, i'm going to get a concussion and a
shattered elbow.

I also got my sixsixone shin/knee guards from Nashbar on friday. I
gots [sic] a full set of Rollerblade wrist/elbow/knee pads, my backpack
full of packing peanuts, bike helmet (SecondChance ballistic parachute
on order).

Before i can do anything i need to cut down the seatpost and, for now,
i think i'll remove the brakes. Flashier pedals come afer i get
freemounts above 60%. Other than that, ready to go.

Fortunately for me, i have some breathing time: its all snowy here, and
i have decreed i won't start practicing until the weather dry and temps
are above 65F. Unless i get impatient...

In the meantime, it looms menacingly.

.max

--
BraveSirStupid

-i am a poser. face-down on pavement, mostly, although sometimes i like
to pose face-down in grass, but my favorite pose is
madly-flailing-arms-with-rictus-of-terror-on-my-face-
BraveSirStupid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7738

Old January 23rd 06, 12:21 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

BraveSirStupid wrote:

I have yet to name it.

q: what's yellow and crashes thru the wall?
a: Casper the Coker

--
wobbling bear

One Wheel : bear necessity
wobbling bear's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3716

Old January 23rd 06, 01:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

You may want to hang onto the brake for now.
During my initial fumbles on yon 'Big One' I never used the brake but
took great comfort in knowing it was there.

Call it Humphrey.
It's impossible to be scared of something called Humphrey.

--
GILD

'three short gs and a long e-flat™'
(http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/beethoven_sym5_1.wav) - 'map'
(http://www.frappr.com/unicycleworld)
'if i'm murdered, don't execute my killer.'
(http://www.inthesetimes.com/site/main/article/1539/)
'harper' (http://tinyurl.com/c9epx)
'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
'Dave' (http://www.lyricsdir.com/d/deep-purp...ld-in-time.php)

Old January 23rd 06, 01:42 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

GILD wrote:

It's impossible to be scared of something called Humphrey.

Are you too young to remember Hubert Humphrey?

Old January 23rd 06, 06:36 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

wobbling bear wrote:
Are you too young to remember Hubert Humphrey?

Did you ever hear the song "Whatever Became of Hubert?" by Tom
Lehrer?

--
brian.slater

Brian C. Slater
AKA: Snoopy

Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference. If you try not
to confuse me, that will confuse me.

"To not decide is to decide" - undecided
brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902

Old January 23rd 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

BraveSirStupid wrote:

Fortunately for me, i have some breathing time: its all snowy here, and
i have decreed i won't start practicing until the weather dry and temps
are above 65F. Unless i get impatient...

Looks dry there from here and I could swear it was 65F. I think you'd
better gear up and break that bronco today.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*

Old January 23rd 06, 08:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Max,
You are the Jedi master… you will exert full and complete control over
your soon-to-be-obsequious (and yet to be named) Coker Deluxe.

The most likely reason for your terror is due to the fact that you
probably have not undergone proper mental training in preparation for
becoming a Cokeur!

Get yourself into a relaxed state (maybe when you’re lying in bed
trying to go to sleep) and visualize yourself dominating the machine –
it doesn’t have intellect and you do… so you have an inherent
advantage!

Make the mental adjustment in your head before you attempt to gain
control of your machine, thus... think about and visualize the changes
that will need to take place in order to make that machine acquiesce to
your command. Mount and ride that beast in your head a dozen times
before you take it for your first spin. You know everything is going to
feel “bigger”, that you’ll need more force to propel yourself up to
free-mount. Be prepared to be traveling faster than you are accustomed
to. While it will feel like you are a lot higher and going a lot faster
(which is really cool), in reality, I don’t think the added height and
speed add much (if any) additional danger during the initial learning
curve.

Prepare yourself well… and you will be victorious!
Andrew

PS: Do you hang glide paraglide or fly a Cirrus Designs aircraft? Just
wondering because of your familiarity with ballistic parachutes.

--
HardcoreCokerRider
HardcoreCokerRider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8529

Old January 23rd 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I think *-Daffodil -*is a lovely name for a menacing yellow machine that
will come out in the early spring.

--
podzol

THE MISSING WHEELS TOUR DA YOOP!
Check out the charity ride, planning is under way.
Seeking riders and support.
*http://missingwheels.unicyclist.com/ *
podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

Old January 24th 06, 05:38 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

podzol wrote:
*-Daffodil -*

Reminds me of Bullwinkle and Rocky...

--
U-Turn

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
-- Dave Stockton

Old January 24th 06, 08:43 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

brian.slater wrote:
Did you ever hear the song "Whatever Became of Hubert?" by Tom
Lehrer?

actually no (though I have heard about it)
should be in : just conversation
this said I admire politicians for the kind of qualities that chap had
(not meaning I did agree with him)
/should be