Riding a century

Old September 15th 03, 03:59 PM
Pat

Default Riding a century

x-no-archive:yes

I had only ridden maybe 40km before going on mine. Of course it wasn't
meant to be a 160k ride rather 120 but it's 20km from my house to the
start. I'm determined not to look like a slacker in front of all those
sexy women in lycra too. This might sound a bit sick but also I've got
extra incentive out on a long ride whenever I pass someone, it means I'm
not the slowest. I don't care about being the fastest but as long as
there's someone out there worse than me I'm happy.

--
Cheers
Damian Harvey

Oh yes, I do know what you mean! On my first 100K two years ago, I heard
the volunteer on his walkie-talkie mention that he was getting ready to
dismantle his rest stop because the last of the riders were there now. I
looked around and saw a dozen people--and me! I immediately jumped up and
rode off. Then, on my second 100 mile ride in 2001, I heard a volunteer
saying that all of the rest stops up to their rest stop had already been
dismantled. Yikes! Not only did I jump on my bike, but I passed 6 people
who had left that rest stop much earlier. On Saturday, I was doing a 100K
and mentally counting all the people behind me (at least 30-50) and all the
people I passed in the last few miles. I finished strong and around 18 Mph
while many of the ones I passed were weaving all over the road.

Pat in TX

Old September 15th 03, 04:00 PM
Bob M

Default Riding a century -- Update

Well, I rode the 100km, which ended up being 69 miles due to my missing a
few turns. I felt fine at the end, even though my HR averaged 85 % of my
max HR for the 5 hours, 8 minutes I rode (4 hours, 45 minutes of saddle
time). I believe I could've rode the 100 miles, but it poured during my
ride, and it really poured when I was driving home. Of course, if I made
63 miles into 69 miles, maybe I would've made 102 miles into 120, which
might've been a bit too much.
Thanks for the help!
-- Bob M in CT
Remove 'x.' to reply
Old September 15th 03, 10:05 PM
Pat

x-no-archive:yes

Well, I rode the 100km, which ended up being 69 miles due to my missing a
few turns. I felt fine at the end, even though my HR averaged 85 % of my
max HR for the 5 hours, 8 minutes I rode (4 hours, 45 minutes of saddle
time). I believe I could've rode the 100 miles, but it poured during my
ride, and it really poured when I was driving home. Of course, if I made
63 miles into 69 miles, maybe I would've made 102 miles into 120, which
might've been a bit too much.
Thanks for the help!
-- Bob M in CT

I have discovered that if you don't feed totally wiped out at the end of the
ride, then you could have gone farther. If you feel somehow "cheated" that
the ride was over 'way too soon--then you certainly should have gone
farther. I felt this way earlier this summer after going 40 miles. I kicked
myself all the way home wishing I had gone ahead and ridden the 100K
instead.

Pat in TX

Old September 15th 03, 10:24 PM
Bob M

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 16:05:40 -0500, Pat wrote:

x-no-archive:yes

[...]

I definitely could've gone farther, especially if I were to pay attention
to my HR monitor. I tried to keep up with people who were faster than I,
and I should've just let 'em go. Also, after the downpour, I put the pedal
to the metal so that I could get to the finish faster.

--
Bob M in CT
Remove 'x.' to reply
Old October 11th 03, 01:54 AM

Pat wrote:

: I think there has been too much emphasis on riding a long ride before
: attempting the 100 miles. I think people are ignoring the mental aspect of
: it: even strategy, planning, pacing, and eating. Before I did the first of
: my 3 centuries, I had only ridden 65 miles at one time. Most of my rides
: were about 30 miles in length. It takes mental determination, too.

Pacing and eating are very important - that is why one needs the
65 mile training rides before the event :-)

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html
varis at no spam please iki fi
Old October 11th 03, 11:10 PM
Pat

Pat wrote:

: I think there has been too much emphasis on riding a long ride before
: attempting the 100 miles. I think people are ignoring the mental aspect

of
: it: even strategy, planning, pacing, and eating. Before I did the first

of
: my 3 centuries, I had only ridden 65 miles at one time. Most of my rides
: were about 30 miles in length. It takes mental determination, too.

Pacing and eating are very important - that is why one needs the
65 mile training rides before the event :-)

--
Risto Varanka

But, when you are riding with a lot of people, the pacing sort of takes care
of itself (and the drafting helps, too). As for eating, I am on the Atkins
diet---that means cutting out a lot of carbs. So, I did not carbo load. My
only concession to the length of the ride was to drink the Gatorade during
the ride, as well as eat some fruit. Carbo loading is 'way over valued, in
my experience.

Pat in TX

Old October 12th 03, 09:36 PM

Pat wrote:

: Pacing and eating are very important - that is why one needs the
: 65 mile training rides before the event :-)
:
: --
: Risto Varanka

: But, when you are riding with a lot of people, the pacing sort of takes care
: of itself (and the drafting helps, too).

Supposing they put in the effort to learn pacing

: diet---that means cutting out a lot of carbs. So, I did not carbo load. My
: only concession to the length of the ride was to drink the Gatorade during
: the ride, as well as eat some fruit. Carbo loading is 'way over valued, in
: my experience.

I don't think many people carbo load for their weekly 60 mile
training ride :-, You could be right about overvaluation - it
takes some practice anyway, the boost might not be that big and
it's a one-shot thing...

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html
varis at no spam please iki fi

Non riding friend pi**ed me off today Barry Gaudet General 32 August 18th 04 06:34 PM
Riding with kids Horace General 27 September 9th 03 02:12 PM
Riding facing traffic Bruce G Patrick General 4 August 12th 03 08:11 AM
Any DC area RBMers riding BikeDC? Luigi de Guzman General 3 August 9th 03 03:11 AM
Sore knee since century Marlene Blanshay General 1 July 11th 03 10:29 AM