Safety Issue: Collapsed Wheel Pops Right Back In Shape

Old July 3rd 20, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

Default Safety Issue: Collapsed Wheel Pops Right Back In Shape

Not being to procure parts for the MTB due to CV-19 forced me to press a low end vintage road bike back into service yesterday.

Only one big problem: a bale of chicken wire had fallen onto the rear wheel warping it into a hyper convoluted trig function or something. This usually means the rim is beyond retrueing.

Still I had to give it a try or get absolutely zero exercise for the next 2 weeks.

I hadn't loosened 6 spokes when the wheel suddenly popped right back into shape like those memory metal eyeglass frames. Except for retightening the 6 spokes there was very little it seemed I needed to do with the wheel. I oiled the rusty chain, added pedals and pumped up the tires and was soon riding it on heat buckled asphalt roads.

Is this wheel safe?

They just closed the parks again so I really need to get out of town where cell service is spotty at best and, of course, get back before the water runs out.

I'll take a spoke wrench just in case.

Bret Cahill

Wheel collapsed! Marc[_2_] UK 5 September 7th 09 10:44 PM
Mountain biking as a way to get back in shape for muni? skilewis74 Unicycling 4 July 6th 08 06:05 AM
Mountain biking as a way to get back in shape for muni? Goats_On_Unicycles Unicycling 5 July 1st 08 04:45 PM
Getting back into shape Eric General 14 August 14th 06 07:09 PM
A real safety issue? Colin McKenzie UK 17 April 26th 04 02:15 PM