Remembering how to tie my shoes, going back for a do-rag

Old July 2nd 20, 09:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Wolfgang Strobl[_3_]

Default Remembering how to tie my shoes, going back for a do-rag

Am Thu, 2 Jul 2020 08:23:33 +0200 schrieb Rolf Mantel
:

Am 01.07.2020 um 23:27 schrieb Frank Krygowski:
On 7/1/2020 4:39 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, July 1, 2020 at 8:44:21 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Speaking of shoes: I recently took delivery of a new pair of cycling
shoes. It involved quite a search, since I don't use clipless pedals
(that a person clips into). I like toe clips and straps. I needed to
find shoes that came with a proper cleat cover, and it seems those are
becoming rare. Plus, I'm not into psychedelic shoe colors.

With double-sided SPD platform pedals and endless SPD stealth-shoe
styles, I can't imagine why anyone would want to use toe clips,
particularly on a tandem.

Personally, I frequently ride without "suiting up." In the last couple
of weeks, I've ridden that tandem twice with a little kid on the back
(using a kid-back attachment I fabricated myself, years ago). Should I
really have donned special shoes to ride 7 miles on neighborhood
streets, or two miles to a store and back?

The double-sided SPD pedals would work after a fashion, but if I were
not in SPD shoes I'd be on flat pedals without toe clips. For me, that's
less desirable.

The double-sided SPD pedals are the best compromise between special
shoes for longer distances and "normal shoes" for going into town only.

Perhaps. I got rid of my two sided M323 in 2008 on the bicycle used in
winter, because I disliked the reduced clearance in curves.

It it's not worth putting on special cycling shoes, the lack of foot
retention does not matter either.

Right. On the other hand, it is amazingly easy to ride on M520 with
sturdy shoes, when retention doesn't matter.

On the 7 miles to work, I forget to
put on the cycling shoes maybe once a year and I'm too lazy to go back
into the house again, the difference is quite noticable.

Indeed. It's just like riding on a classic rubber-block pedal. Riding
on M520 or similar with sturdy shoes is like riding on worn out classic
rubber-block pedals. I is something to avoid, but usefull on occasion.

But I would never want to ride those 7 milse with something as inferior
as toe clips vs. SPD the rest of the year just to get an improvement for
that one day per year.

Interestingly, my wife is perfectly able to switch between what I'd call
"rubber-block pedal riding" on her old and trusty utility bike and how
we ride on our road bikes. It is a different style. I mostly avoid
riding in groups, but when riding on my road bike together with people
on standard biycles, I notice that it's actually easier to do by not
using the SPD mechanics.
--
Wir danken für die Beachtung aller Sicherheitsbestimmungen
Old July 2nd 20, 10:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

On Thursday, July 2, 2020 at 9:50:16 AM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, July 1, 2020 at 2:27:19 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/1/2020 4:39 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, July 1, 2020 at 8:44:21 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Speaking of shoes: I recently took delivery of a new pair of cycling
shoes. It involved quite a search, since I don't use clipless pedals
(that a person clips into). I like toe clips and straps. I needed to
find shoes that came with a proper cleat cover, and it seems those are
becoming rare. Plus, I'm not into psychedelic shoe colors.

With double-sided SPD platform pedals and endless SPD stealth-shoe styles, I can't imagine why anyone would want to use toe clips, particularly on a tandem.

Hmm. Is that yet more intolerance for others' choices?

No, I question your choice when you're already buying special shoes, and particularly when double sided pedals are well suited to tandems. Entry is faster since there is no flip phase, which makes it easier to get into your pedals as you're wobbling off the start. Exit is easier too, depending on the soles of your toe clip shoes and whether you tighten your straps or have multiple straps. I also thought you owned at least one bike with SPD pedals. No?

-- Jay Beattie.

I can understand the appeal of pedals that you can use comfortable with any shoes that you are wearing at that moment. For me that are platform pedals because they are two sided. The disadvantage for me is that your position is not fixed and you have to look for the right one every time you put your foot on the pedal. For my utility bike I accept this, but for a tandem you don't use to just hop on to get a loaf of bread my choice would be definitely double sided SPD pedals with walkable cycling shoes.

Lou
Old July 2nd 20, 06:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/2/2020 3:50 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, July 1, 2020 at 2:27:19 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/1/2020 4:39 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, July 1, 2020 at 8:44:21 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Speaking of shoes: I recently took delivery of a new pair of cycling
shoes. It involved quite a search, since I don't use clipless pedals
(that a person clips into). I like toe clips and straps. I needed to
find shoes that came with a proper cleat cover, and it seems those are
becoming rare. Plus, I'm not into psychedelic shoe colors.

With double-sided SPD platform pedals and endless SPD stealth-shoe styles, I can't imagine why anyone would want to use toe clips, particularly on a tandem.

Hmm. Is that yet more intolerance for others' choices?

No, I question your choice when you're already buying special shoes, and particularly when double sided pedals are well suited to tandems.

OK, you're questioning my choice, not showing intolerance for my choice.
At least that allows more civil discussion.

Entry is faster since there is no flip phase, which makes it easier to get into your pedals as you're wobbling off the start.

Perhaps I don't understand which SPD pedals you mean. The double sided
ones with "no flip phase" still need to be oriented so they're not
edgewise, which is not hard. But those are lousy for riding in ordinary
shoes. They are a tiny target for pedaling forces and are too easy to
slip off of.

Pedals like PD-T421 SPDs have a flat platform side, but they still need
to be flipped to the proper side depending what shoes you chose that day.

Our tandem (like most bikes here) is fitted with Lyotard Mod 23 pedals
or their MKS Urban Platform clones. Sheldon agreed with me that these,
with toe clips, are the easiest pedals of all to slide into. The opening
is like a big funnel. I can get my foot in faster than my friends can
clip into their pedals. (On a couple other bikes, I've achieved the same
thing with a little bolt-on attachment for the pedal.)

If it didn't work, I wouldn't do this.

Exit is easier too, depending on the soles of your toe clip shoes and whether you tighten your straps or have multiple straps.

I keep the straps just a little loose. I can pull up in the very few
instances that's really valuable. (It's usually a myth.) But I can slide
out instantaneously.

I also thought you owned at least one bike with SPD pedals. No?

No. My kid does.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 3rd 20, 05:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 13:39:41 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

I can see wanting to avoid special shoes, but you're buying special shoes.

I don't like to change my pedals when I change my shoes.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
Old July 3rd 20, 06:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

I can see wanting to avoid special shoes, but you're buying special shoes.

I don't like to change my pedals when I change my shoes.

Shimano makes at least one model of dual sided pedal. Flat on one side
and SPD cleat on the other. One model is the M324 and I think there is
a second but can't find a reference to them at the moment.

The M324's that I have, on 2 bikes, once they are "broken in" hang
almost vertically so to use the flat side you sort of kick the top of
the pedal backward and to use the cleat side you kick the top forward.
I find that after ridding them for a while it becomes almost automatic
to kick the right way to get the side that you want.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old July 3rd 20, 02:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Heise

On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 13:01:58 -0400,
Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/2/2020 3:50 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, July 1, 2020 at 2:27:19 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/1/2020 4:39 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, July 1, 2020 at 8:44:21 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Speaking of shoes: I recently took delivery of a new pair
of cycling shoes. It involved quite a search, since I don't
use clipless pedals (that a person clips into). I like toe
clips and straps. I needed to find shoes that came with a
proper cleat cover, and it seems those are becoming rare.
Plus, I'm not into psychedelic shoe colors.

Frank, elsewhere in your post you mentioned possibly needing to
adjust strap length. I don't quite understand what you were
getting at, because I tend to adjust mine every time I ride.
After all, it seems most are designed to do just that, and with
little hassle.

With double-sided SPD platform pedals and endless SPD
stealth-shoe styles, I can't imagine why anyone would want
to use toe clips, particularly on a tandem.

I've had toeclips and straps on my fixed gear bike for most of its
life. For me, this makes a good commuter bike. It allows me to
just wear my work shoes on the ride to and from the office.

Despite years of use and relatively good skill getting in and out,
I would not choose such a pedal for my tandem.

[snipped semantic jousting]

Entry is faster since there is no flip phase, which makes it
easier to get into your pedals as you're wobbling off the
start.

Our tandem (like most bikes here) is fitted with Lyotard Mod 23
pedals or their MKS Urban Platform clones. Sheldon agreed with
me that these, with toe clips, are the easiest pedals of all to
slide into. The opening is like a big funnel. I can get my foot
in faster than my friends can clip into their pedals.

Well, my hat is off to you. I'm pretty practiced, and it still
takes me an extra go-round or two to get the second pedal flipped
so the toe clip is up. Maybe you don't mind the toe clip dragging
on the ground for a stroke or two. Maybe it's less of an issue
without a fixed gear. In any case, I find double sided pedals (I
use original Speedplays) much easier to get into.

Exit is easier too, depending on the soles of your toe clip
shoes and whether you tighten your straps or have multiple
straps.

I keep the straps just a little loose. I can pull up in the
very few instances that's really valuable. (It's usually a
myth.) But I can slide out instantaneously.

Yeah, I generally run the straps on the loose side too. I'm not
typicallly riding at high effort when on my bike with toe clips.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old July 3rd 20, 05:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/3/2020 9:03 AM, Ted Heise wrote:
On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 13:01:58 -0400,
Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/2/2020 3:50 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, July 1, 2020 at 2:27:19 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/1/2020 4:39 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, July 1, 2020 at 8:44:21 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Speaking of shoes: I recently took delivery of a new pair
of cycling shoes. It involved quite a search, since I don't
use clipless pedals (that a person clips into). I like toe
clips and straps. I needed to find shoes that came with a
proper cleat cover, and it seems those are becoming rare.
Plus, I'm not into psychedelic shoe colors.

Frank, elsewhere in your post you mentioned possibly needing to
adjust strap length. I don't quite understand what you were
getting at, because I tend to adjust mine every time I ride.
After all, it seems most are designed to do just that, and with
little hassle.

My default length for the straps is sort of slightly loose. They're
loose enough that I can pull my foot out instantaneously, but tight
enough to prevent my foot slipping off the pedal if I hit a bump, etc.
On single bikes, they're tight enough that I can bunny hop.

Since most of the rides on the tandem have been done with the same shoes
(because we're less likely to use it for utility rides), the straps have
been adjusted for those shoes.

The only time I tighten the straps more is if it's going to be a really
long or hard (for me) "sport" ride. Sadly, those are rare these days.

Our tandem (like most bikes here) is fitted with Lyotard Mod 23
pedals or their MKS Urban Platform clones. Sheldon agreed with
me that these, with toe clips, are the easiest pedals of all to
slide into. The opening is like a big funnel. I can get my foot
in faster than my friends can clip into their pedals.

Well, my hat is off to you. I'm pretty practiced, and it still
takes me an extra go-round or two to get the second pedal flipped
so the toe clip is up. Maybe you don't mind the toe clip dragging
on the ground for a stroke or two.

The Lyotards are amazingly easy to get into. I just checked to see how
it happens, so here are details:

The pedal naturally hangs upside down, and the weight of the toe clip
means the pedal surface is not exactly horizontal. The toe clip makes it
tilt back a bit.

When astride the bike and ready to go, my habit (now decades old) is to
touch my left foot horizontally to the underside of the pedal, so the
pedal pivots from its equilibrium position to horizontal and inverted.
When I take my foot off the underside, the pedal swings forward and
presents the long rear tab of the Lyotard to my toe. That swing seems to
be the key. I slide in easily.

That's how I get my left foot in while stationary. When I pedal, I
normally do one or two strokes with my right foot on that pedal's
underside, but same swinging action makes it dead easy to get my right
foot in. Toe clips almost never scrape.

That's more than you want to know, I suppose. It's more than I knew
until I started this post. I never analyzed it; it all developed by
instinct.

BTW, I think I found the easiest answer to my slippery sole problem. The
front of the tandem has the classic Lyotard M23 pedals, which have a
somewhat small platform. The rear has the MKS clones. They're similar,
but wider and with a somewhat different top surface. Yesterday I tried
my shoes on those pedals and they seem fine, so new pedals are on order.
Soon our tandem will have properly matching front and rear pedals.

For Jeff: The downside is I won't learn as much about glue and rubber
technology. (But thanks for that technical content.)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 3rd 20, 08:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Heise

Frank Krygowski wrote:

[...]

So are you saying the pedal does a roughly 180 degree rotation
after you lower your foot from its underside? That doesn't sound
right, so I'm probably missing something.

I think my technique may be somewhat similar. I place my foot on
top of the pedal (toe clip side downward, where it naturally
hangs), and when I take my foot off the pedal it swings forward
just enough for me to get the toe of my shoe over the other face
of the pedal. If I catch it right (maybe 60-70% of the time?), I
can then get it pulled around far enough the same direction to let
me slide the toe of my shoe in.

Maybe that curved tab on the model you use helps a lot. I've got
Campagnolo Superleggeri pedals, so they are pretty much flat with
both edges the same.

And the 'decades old" practice makes me wonder if it was really
that simple when you began with it.

That's how I get my left foot in while stationary. When I
pedal, I normally do one or two strokes with my right foot on
that pedal's underside, but same swinging action makes it dead
easy to get my right foot in. Toe clips almost never scrape.

How can you take one or two strokes without scraping? This
doesn't make sense to me, but maybe you angle the pedal somehow.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old July 3rd 20, 09:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/3/2020 3:08 PM, Ted Heise wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:

[...]

It sounds to me like we do exactly the same thing. Except these pedals
are so easy to get into, I slide in well over 90% of the time. Probably
about 99%, actually.

Maybe that curved tab on the model you use helps a lot. I've got
Campagnolo Superleggeri pedals, so they are pretty much flat with
both edges the same.

It really does help a lot. FWIW, the pedals on my touring bike are
different - they're the original quill style pedal that came with the
bike. I added "Toe Flips" to the back edges of those pedals - a thin
steel accessory that works similarly to the scoop or tab on the
Lyotards. Here's a link, although you can't see the shape very well:

https://aroundthecycle.com/products/...=8757518827580

I see that MKS markets something with similar intent, but very tiny:
https://www.jensonusa.com/MKS-Spin-Pedal-Flips I'd be surprised if
those helped as much.

And the 'decades old" practice makes me wonder if it was really
that simple when you began with it.

Yes, it might have taken a while. Can't recall.

That's how I get my left foot in while stationary. When I
pedal, I normally do one or two strokes with my right foot on
that pedal's underside, but same swinging action makes it dead
easy to get my right foot in. Toe clips almost never scrape.

How can you take one or two strokes without scraping? This
doesn't make sense to me, but maybe you angle the pedal somehow.

No, I don't even think about it. There is some ground clearance between
the toe clip and the inverted pedal. Remember, it's not hanging loose;
my foot is on it as it sits inverted. It's not that it never scrapes;
but it is seldom.

I just measured about 1.5" ground clearance. Obviously, that would vary
with crank length, bottom bracket height and toe clip contours.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 4th 20, 12:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Frank Krygowski wrote:

[...]

I used to blow through Lyotard platform pedals because they were relatively cheap and had poor/non-existent seals. Cones would pit and bearings would fail, particularly since I wasn't that diligent repacking them every time I rode in the rain. Anyway, this points out another benefit of the M520s or better -- they have great seals. I repacked a set of pedals that were a decade old and that had been ridden in endless rain, and the grease was still intact and in good shape.

Speaking of rain, another benefit of clipless is that your booties don't get beat-up by toe clips and don't hang-up on the toe clips when you're getting in to the pedal. My booties are not cheap. Back in the toe-clip days, I sewed my own booties. They were junk, but riding in California, they were rarely used and good enough.

-- Jay Beattie.