Red Menace 36 update

Old October 19th 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unisk8r

Default Red Menace 36 update

Just noticed this thread bumped from last year.

The gear ratio is changed by loosening the chain tension, pulling out
the jackshaft, changing the cogs, and also pulling the right crank and
changing the crank cog accordingly. The two sides of the driveline are
symmetrical. Same as on Purple Phaze. The process takes about 10-15
minutes, not really field-serviceable.

--
unisk8r
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 19th 07, 03:58 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
harper

unisk8r wrote:
Just noticed this thread bumped from last year.

The gear ratio is changed by loosening the chain tension, pulling out
the jackshaft, changing the cogs, and also pulling the right crank and
changing the crank cog accordingly. The two sides of the driveline are
symmetrical. Same as on Purple Phaze. The process takes about 10-15
minutes, not really field-serviceable.

No, not really field serviceable. But in a short period of time it can
be set up for whatever ride you want. A wide range of gear ratios are
available. This makes it extremely versatile. You're not just stuck
with 1:1 or 1:1.5. How many gear ratios have you tried in your
jackshaft design? How many do you know to be possible?

--
harper

-Greg Harper

http://www.usenet.com
Old October 19th 07, 06:25 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unisk8r

I've ridden it in 1.22 (22x20), 1.44 (24x20), and 1.69 (26x20) ratios.
You can also do 1.00 (20x20), 1.96 (28x20), or even an 0.82 underdrive
(20x22).

The Menace has gotten even redder lately with a red painted rim, and
new brake cable guides in the form of red skulls:

|Filename: RedMenace.v5.cable.jpg |

unisk8r
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 19th 07, 02:42 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
siafirede

Does it feel about the same as a regular coker in 1:1 mode, or do you
notice a few differences? If so, what are they?

Love the red skulls.

--
siafirede

James = my name
'This' (http://www.myspace.com/clawsout) = my myspace

Pump Air Not Gas
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 20th 07, 04:19 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unisk8r

The lowest gear I've ridden in is 1.22 with 175mm cranks. A good climber
would have little problem with hills in that combo. My climbing is
still limited whether I'm on a guni or direct drive.

My best guess is that it would still have some perceptible driveline
friction as compared to a direct hub, but in general riding around you
don't really notice it. What you do notice is the lightweight wheel.

It's available for local test rides anytime.

--
unisk8r
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 20th 07, 05:35 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Hazmat

unisk8r wrote:
It's available for local test rides anytime.

Well that leaves me out of it.

--
Hazmat

I'M 1 WEIRD AND UNUSUAL GREEK
CYPRIOT AUSTRALIAN WHO
IS DESTINED TO BE DIFFERENT.

'*Hazmat's What people think of me??'
(http://tinyurl.com/ytyaau)*

ivan wrote:
Its a wild ride, grabs me by the shoe-lace, and doesn't let go till I do
a face-plant.

http://www.usenet.com
Old October 20th 07, 06:23 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unisk8r

Too bad Hazmat. Seattle is still the guni capital of the world! (i.e.
highest guni/rider ratio)

--
unisk8r
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 20th 07, 07:06 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
siafirede

unisk8r wrote:
The lowest gear I've ridden in is 1.22 with 175mm cranks. A good climber
would have little problem with hills in that combo. My climbing is
still limited whether I'm on a guni or direct drive.

My best guess is that it would still have some perceptible driveline
friction as compared to a direct hub, but in general riding around you
don't really notice it. What you do notice is the lightweight wheel.

It's available for local test rides anytime.

I'll keep that in mind! Hopefully I can make it out to the Seattle
area around/after Thanksgiving weekend to visit my Brother.

Old October 20th 07, 07:52 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

unisk8r wrote:
Too bad Hazmat. Seattle is still the guni capital of the world! (i.e.
highest guni/rider ratio)

I would have thought Vilters in Switzerland had more Gunis than
anywhere else in the world

--
GizmoDuck

The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net

The Monguni 2009....Unicycle Tour of Mongolia

Email me for details.
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 24th 07, 02:46 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
siafirede

Do you have anymore pics or videos of the Red Menace? You should have
painted it green, the color of envy, because I need one of these
beasts!