Anybody know vintage BMX parts well? (fork)

Old September 19th 07, 02:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones

Default Anybody know vintage BMX parts well? (fork)

Hi.

I'm restoring an old BMX and I need some advice on choosing a fork.
First of all, it's a tandem frame!!! (yeah, one was produced in the
'70s) The head tube is sized for a standard 1" BMX headset and
threaded. (406 wheels or something close)

Given that I probably don't have a snowball's chance of ever finding
the original Littlejohn forks (you never know... watch eBay!), what
would make a good second choice? They'll need to be strong even at
the expense of weight.

Oh, yeah... we're not actually going to *ride* it in any BMX... what
do they call 'em? ... "crosses".

Jones

Old September 19th 07, 10:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Scott Gordo

On Sep 19, 9:00 am, !Jones wrote:
Hi.

I'm restoring an old BMX and I need some advice on choosing a fork.
First of all, it's a tandem frame!!! (yeah, one was produced in the
'70s) The head tube is sized for a standard 1" BMX headset and
threaded. (406 wheels or something close)

Given that I probably don't have a snowball's chance of ever finding
the original Littlejohn forks (you never know... watch eBay!), what
would make a good second choice? They'll need to be strong even at
the expense of weight.

Oh, yeah... we're not actually going to *ride* it in any BMX... what
do they call 'em? ... "crosses".

Jones

Tandem BMX? Wow. Long wheelbase, twitchy handling.... Sounds
interesting.

I don't have an answer for you, but I was unable to bend any of the
80's BMX forks that were under me. Believe me, I tried.

/s

Old September 20th 07, 02:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 14:15:25 -0700, in rec.bicycles.tech Scott Gordo
wrote:

Tandem BMX? Wow. Long wheelbase, twitchy handling.... Sounds
interesting.

Yeah, it's an oddball fer sure. I don't know what I'll *do* with the
damn thing when I get it built, but I will most deffo take it for a
spin before it hits eBay... straight and level, you know! (I'm not
into blood.)

Right now, I need to decide what make of fork I want. I see all of
the various name brands and I haven't a freakin' *clue*... some are
better 'n others, I gather.

Any advice at all will be useful.

Jones