Old Trek...New Fork

Old September 20th 07, 05:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Comcastic

Default Old Trek...New Fork

I have a '93 Trek 930 with the Shockwave front fork. I'd like to put a Rock
Shox Dart2 on this bike. The bike has center-pull brakes on it now....will
they work with the new fork? I really don't want to get into spending a lot
of cash to upgrade this bike. I'd just like to replace the worn out fork.

Anything else I should look out for?

Thanks...

Old September 20th 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Steve Gravrock

On 2007-09-20, Comcastic wrote:
I have a '93 Trek 930 with the Shockwave front fork. I'd like to put a Rock
Shox Dart2 on this bike. The bike has center-pull brakes on it now....will
they work with the new fork? I really don't want to get into spending a lot
of cash to upgrade this bike. I'd just like to replace the worn out fork.

I assume you mean center pull cantilevers and not caliper brakes. You'll
need to switch to a V brake in front. Your old cantilevers will fit the
studs on the new fork, but there is no cable stop on the brake arch.

Anything else I should look out for?

Yes. The Dart 2 has a 1-1/8" steerer tube, as does basically every other
modern suspension fork that's actually designed for off-road use. Your
bike is probably designed for a 1" steerer. The other thing to check is
the height of the fork. Measure your current fork from axle to crown and
compare to the Dart 2. If the new fork is much taller, it will make the
frame angles slacker and screw up the handling of the bike.

If you need a 1" steerer or don't plan to ride off-road, you'll probably
be better off with a rigid fork.
Old September 20th 07, 07:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Steve Gravrock

On 2007-09-20, Comcastic wrote:

Anything else I should look out for?

Yes. The Dart 2 has a 1-1/8" steerer tube, as does basically every other
modern suspension fork that's actually designed for off-road use. Your
bike is probably designed for a 1" steerer. The other thing to check is
the height of the fork. Measure your current fork from axle to crown and
compare to the Dart 2. If the new fork is much taller, it will make the
frame angles slacker and screw up the handling of the bike.

If you need a 1" steerer or don't plan to ride off-road, you'll probably
be better off with a rigid fork.

Also, you'll need a threadless headset and stem to use the Dart 2. Your
current gear is probably threaded.

All in all, this is probably a more expensive project than you were
expecting.
Old September 20th 07, 08:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Comcastic

"Steve Gravrock" wrote in message
On 2007-09-20, Comcastic wrote:
[...]

Thanks Steve....the bike has a 1-1/8" threadless steerer tube now, so I
guess I'm ok there. I'd have to upgrade the front brake though. And I think
the shifters and brake body are one peice on this bike. It's older Shimano
Altus stuff.

I'll see if I can find a NOS fork on ebay that I can use my existing brakes
with...and yes, they are center-pull cantilever

Old September 20th 07, 08:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Steve Gravrock

On 2007-09-20, Comcastic wrote:

Thanks Steve....the bike has a 1-1/8" threadless steerer tube now, so I
guess I'm ok there. I'd have to upgrade the front brake though. And I think
the shifters and brake body are one peice on this bike. It's older Shimano
Altus stuff.

I'll see if I can find a NOS fork on ebay that I can use my existing brakes
with...and yes, they are center-pull cantilever

That changes the picture somewhat. If the fork height is a close enough
match and you want to go with the Dart, you can probably get all the
parts you need except the fork for $100 or so. You can get some basic V
brakes and levers cheaply enough, and 7 speed shifters are still
available: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/shifters.html#underbar.
Old September 20th 07, 10:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Comcastic

"Steve Gravrock" wrote in message On
2007-09-20, Comcastic wrote:

Thanks Steve....the bike has a 1-1/8" threadless steerer tube now, so I
guess I'm ok there. I'd have to upgrade the front brake though. And I
think
the shifters and brake body are one peice on this bike. It's older
Shimano
Altus stuff.

I'll see if I can find a NOS fork on ebay that I can use my existing
brakes
with...and yes, they are center-pull cantilever

That changes the picture somewhat. If the fork height is a close enough
match and you want to go with the Dart, you can probably get all the
parts you need except the fork for $100 or so. You can get some basic V
brakes and levers cheaply enough, and 7 speed shifters are still
available: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/shifters.html#underbar.

Thanks for the link and info....now I just need to decide if I want to spend
a couple hundred on upgrading this...or put it toward a new or newer bike.
There is really nothing wrong with this one besides the crummy shock...and
it would certainly work for my riding purposes(easy trails, fire roads,
paved paths). But it is 14 yrs old....and the technology certainly is better
today.

Anyway....thanks for your help!

Trek road fork kg4kpg Marketplace 0 August 6th 06 05:49 AM
Trek 970 MTB needs a new fork.... Alan Hoyle Techniques 2 January 30th 06 07:16 PM
FS: Trek OCLV & Sid fork Charles Stickle Marketplace 0 October 14th 05 02:34 AM
FS: Trek OCLV & Sid fork Charles Stickle Marketplace 0 October 3rd 05 12:23 AM
FS: Trek carbon fork Charles Stickle Marketplace 0 June 1st 05 12:16 AM