Show of hands: who carries a camera when cycling?

Old June 25th 05, 09:31 PM
Chris Zacho The Wheelman

Guilty as charged! On single day events,I carry my Olympus "snapshot"
style camera (film type, I get a disc made with developing if I want to
upload the pics anywhere).

On tours (multi day, with packs) I also pack my Nikon SLR, a 35-105 zoom
lens, three filters, a small backpack tripod, and sometimes an
doubler/extention tube for telephoto/macro shots.

- -

"May you have the winds at your back,
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Old June 26th 05, 07:42 PM
The Wogster

Chris Zacho The Wheelman wrote:
Guilty as charged! On single day events,I carry my Olympus "snapshot"
style camera (film type, I get a disc made with developing if I want to
upload the pics anywhere).

On tours (multi day, with packs) I also pack my Nikon SLR, a 35-105 zoom
lens, three filters, a small backpack tripod, and sometimes an
doubler/extention tube for telephoto/macro shots.

What's a good way to carry a camera, I'm talkin' a big old circa 1970's
style SLR, with a nice collection of equally elderly lenses. The camera
bag is too big, the backpack to flimsy in a crash....

Old June 26th 05, 08:50 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

At Sun, 26 Jun 2005 14:42:02 -0400, message
was posted by The Wogster
, including some, all or none of the following:

What's a good way to carry a camera, I'm talkin' a big old circa 1970's
style SLR, with a nice collection of equally elderly lenses. The camera
bag is too big, the backpack to flimsy in a crash....

I put mine in a rack pack. An Ortlieb one, because it's completely
waterproof.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old June 27th 05, 03:15 PM
brucianna

Chris Zacho "The Wheelman" wrote:
Guilty as charged! On single day events,I carry my Olympus "snapshot"
style camera (film type, I get a disc made with developing if I want to
upload the pics anywhere).

On tours (multi day, with packs) I also pack my Nikon SLR, a 35-105 zoom
lens, three filters, a small backpack tripod, and sometimes an
doubler/extention tube for telephoto/macro shots.

I used to have a Chinese made K-1000 style.

Now, I'm a much better photographer and I carry an automagic Nikon SLR.

It's $300 of lens (bought new) on $200 of camera body (second hand)
with $75 of flash (on loan).

I do not carry it when I go bicycling in China, though I will almost
certainly carry it with me when I go bicycling at home in the US this
summer.

I'm not too afraid of breaking it. But, I'm very afraid of being
robbed. I mostly bike alone. If I could find a biking partner I'd
probably carry it.

I just don't like putting temptation in front of people who are making
less than $50 a month.

-M

Old June 27th 05, 04:06 PM
C.J.Patten

"brucianna" wrote in message
ups.com...

snip

I do not carry it when I go bicycling in China, though I will almost
certainly carry it with me when I go bicycling at home in the US this
summer.

snip
I just don't like putting temptation in front of people who are making
less than $50 a month.

Isn't your BIKE the same temptation for them!?

Old June 28th 05, 02:13 PM
brucianna

C.J.Patten wrote:
"brucianna" wrote in message
ups.com...

snip

I do not carry it when I go bicycling in China, though I will almost
certainly carry it with me when I go bicycling at home in the US this
summer.

snip
I just don't like putting temptation in front of people who are making
less than $50 a month.

Isn't your BIKE the same temptation for them!?

Including water bottle cage, lock, and cyclometer my bike cost less
than $100. But, even so, I don't take it into the countryside alone.

I didn't used to be so afraid but in April of this year I had a mobile
phone stolen, then in early June someone tried to steal my new mobile
phone, and my daily rides to the beach mean that I keep seeing the same
shady characters who don't look like beach fluff.

-M

Old July 3rd 05, 11:00 PM
Robert S. Dean

Mark McNeill wrote:

Response to C.J.Patten:
(I still have a medium format camera and an old 35mm Voigtlander here.)

I really, really wanted a good rangefinder (had a few bad ones...), and
was always on the lookout for a bargain; if I was going to get back into
film photography, that's the sort of thing I'd go for.

It's a bit out of date since I've been offline for two weeks, but I
have been carrying a recently acquired Canonet QL17 early 1970s
rangefinder in my bike bag. It's lens is decent and it's lighter and
more compact than an SLR. I've got a 4x5, but haven't tried biking
with it...

Rob Dean
Old July 4th 05, 10:42 PM
citizen142

I usually carry sandwiches.

Old July 6th 05, 03:27 PM
brucianna

brucianna wrote:
C.J.Patten wrote:
"brucianna" wrote in message
ups.com...

snip

I do not carry it when I go bicycling in China, though I will almost
certainly carry it with me when I go bicycling at home in the US this
summer.

snip
I just don't like putting temptation in front of people who are making
less than $50 a month.

Isn't your BIKE the same temptation for them!?

Including water bottle cage, lock, and cyclometer my bike cost less
than $100. But, even so, I don't take it into the countryside alone.

I didn't used to be so afraid but in April of this year I had a mobile
phone stolen, then in early June someone tried to steal my new mobile
phone, and my daily rides to the beach mean that I keep seeing the same
shady characters who don't look like beach fluff.

On Sunday, under the auspices of looking at the big sign with bicycle
club information someone was inching towards the mass of unlocked
bicycles with the obvious intention of taking one of them. It's only
the cheaper bicycles (like mine) owned by those of us who aren't
bicycle weenies (like me) that have kickstands and can be left standing
up in the road.

I moved my bike (which was on the outside) up on to the sidewalk and
one of the big big fellows with a carbon fiber frame ($2500 on a
Chinese salary!) glared at the man until he got the idea that going
away empty handed was better than being chased down by rabid rapid
spandex-clad bicyclists.

-M