should i or shouldn't i...

Old November 6th 05, 07:48 PM
bernmart

Default should i or shouldn't i...

God, what an arrogant thing to say. I know people who've had ACL, and
it's agonizing. The fact that Karen is still riding, despite ACL,
makes me pretty sure who'd be doing the whining with a similar level of
pain.

I don't have much patience with people who do macho strutting bull****
on the web, where it's safe and they can pretend to be tough guys.

Old November 6th 05, 07:56 PM
Cameron Lewis

getting into that little dance of "who's going which way" can cause
additional injury.It was not worth
explaining ACL and the likelihood of a small wrong movement causing me pain
and injury for days or weeks. (If the sole of my shoe catches on
the floor I can be couch-bound and heating pad-ded for several hours.

Would you like a little cheese to go with your "whine"? Sounds like you
need to get one of those senior-citizen motorized carts, so you don't have
to worry about your knee aching.

Old November 6th 05, 11:39 PM
bernmart

"Well you'd better get used to it or you're liable to be ****ting your
teeth
out for a week. "

lol

Old November 7th 05, 12:06 AM
Mark Hickey

"Bill Sornson" wrote:

Mark Hickey wrote:

I've always wondered - if I'm a sexist pig when I hold a door open for
a woman who's behind me, am I a closet gay when I do it for a guy?

It's obviously a far-right-wing Christian Fundamentalist Sectarian attempt
at mind and behavior control. Duh!

Bill "that pocket bible you slip 'em is the giveaway" S.

Heh... suddenly the whole thing becomes clear to me after reading this
thead. The whole abortion clinic thing probably started when a
Christian tried to hold the door open for a woman entering an abortion
clinic. ;-)

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame
Old November 7th 05, 01:04 AM
Veloise

Cameron Lewis wrote:
Would you like a little cheese to go with your "whine"? Sounds like you
need to get one of those senior-citizen motorized carts, so you don't have
to worry about your knee aching.

No, considering that the source also penned this stellar prose:

If that is the kind of genetic stock that sired the kid, then maybe he
is
better off being used as a volleyball, because he would probably grow
up to
be a piece of slime anyway.

HAND!

--Karen D.

Old November 7th 05, 01:10 AM
Colorado Bicycler

Don't feed the troll - that is what he wants.

Old November 7th 05, 02:15 AM
Roger Houston

"Rich Clark" wrote in message

On the other hand, I know how to go through doors with my bike. I know how
to do it effortlessly and without help.

OK. How?

Old November 7th 05, 05:06 AM

Colorado Bicycler wrote:
My son uses a very large electric wheelchair controlled by a sonar
device in the headrest which he operates by head position (but
fortunately he is not "bound" to it as you were/are - he doesn't take
it to bed with him at night - sorry about your having to sleep with it!
) ) and the etiquette of getting through doors is always a challenge.
I agree - when folks put their hands on his w/c is it as if they are
violating his personal space.

When folks put their hands on a wheelchair without express permission
of the person in the 'chair it is not as if they are violating that
person's personal space. They are violating that person's space. At
least for me it is not a piece of furniture but a physical extension of
my body doing what my leg is currently not allowing me to do.

These days, the only time I need to use a wheelchair is airports. I do
a very good job of standing in line (and before anyone makes a comment
about patience, I sit in line just fine) and flying followed by the
large amounts of walking airports require is simply not possible.
Especially when we're talking international flights.

The worst thing about it is that I feel fine. Every so often I try to
walk through a smaller airport and realize, yet again, why I take that
wheelchair but when I'm in the wheelchair I feel fine. Bad enough to
be giving up my indepent ability to walk and go back to relying on a
'chair (and a not very good one at that, airports never have good ones)
that I don't want to sacrifice one iota more of the freedom I've got
left.

However, we find that most folks are very helpful when they hold the
doors for him, and we/he/his wife accepts their assistance with
pleasure. Same with my bike and doors - although it usually is easier
to do it myself, I accept their assistance as an indication of their
kindness and willingness to help. Sometimes I will just say, "Thanks
so much, but I can do this better by myself." Sometimes, it IS easier
if they hold the door for me.

Sometimes they very carefully move around in the elevator to let me in
and the new configuration of luggage carts (in the last three years
almost all of my wheelchairing has been airports) makes it impossible
for me to get on, whereas the old one was just fine.

So, I think both are correct: 1. The person is holding the door out
of courtesy and 2. He/she think the bicyclist needs assistance. Isn't
that neat?

Yes but if the bicyclist does not need assistance and the assistance is
instead an active hindrance then the bicyclist has a conundrum of how
to tell the person not to do it without coming across as rude.

-M

Old November 7th 05, 05:12 AM

I think so too.

The summer I was stuck in the wheelchair I went camping at this big
festival called Pennsic. There was this hugely nasty hill that I used
to go up two or three times a day. By the end of the two weeks I could
go up that hill faster than some people could walk it and had a very
flat stomach.

I could be going up that hill, chatting with my friends (whose bags
were frequently hanging off the back of the chair) and people would
walk by, stop, give my friends a dirty look for having the audacity to
make me do this myself, and then volunteer themselves to push me
without asking. On any one trip I'd get as many as five 'helpers'.
Once, when going up the hill unaccompanied I had someone so insistent
about helping me that I had to lock my wheels to keep her from being
able to push.