Should I Fix My Bike or Shop It

Old July 31st 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Should I Fix My Bike or Shop It

Hello,
I got a pretty nice mountain bike about 6 years ago that has lasted
without a bit of trouble. It has only been recently that things have
started to go wrong and I've had to start making trips to the bike
shop. At this point I'm trying to decide whether I should try to
learn how to fix and take care of my own bike, or if I should just take
it to the shop every time there is a problem. Fixing it at the shop
seems to be relatively inexpensive, but I'm on a college budget and
grateful for every dollar that I can save. I live at home, so I do have
wrenches and some other tools lying around. So basically I'm
wondering how much money can be saved (& how much time 'lost') by
learning how to fix it yourself.
Thanks!
-Kendi

Old July 31st 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Causer

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 17:14:25 -0700, kendity555 wrote:

I live at home, so I do have wrenches and some other tools lying
around. So basically I'm wondering how much money can be
saved (& how much time 'lost') by learning how to fix it yourself.

When you want to go out on a Sunday and see a wheel needs truing or the
gears need adjusting would you rather fix the problem in 10 minutes, or
skip the ride and wait until the shop opens on Monday?

When you're out in the boondocks and find you need to fix something
would you rather call for a cab and take the bike to the shop the nmxt
day, or fix it there & then and ride home?

Mike
Old July 31st 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Fred

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
I got a pretty nice mountain bike about 6 years ago that has lasted
without a bit of trouble. It has only been recently that things have
started to go wrong and I've had to start making trips to the bike
shop. At this point I'm trying to decide whether I should try to
learn how to fix and take care of my own bike, or if I should just take
it to the shop every time there is a problem. Fixing it at the shop
seems to be relatively inexpensive, but I'm on a college budget and
grateful for every dollar that I can save. I live at home, so I do have
wrenches and some other tools lying around. So basically I'm
wondering how much money can be saved (& how much time 'lost') by
learning how to fix it yourself.
Thanks!
-Kendi

Aim for a little bit of both. Many things such as puntures obviously, cable
replacement, brake shoes, etc are relatively simple. Once you start - you'll
know how far you can go. When you become proficient at the basics you might
decide to get a little more adventurous with the bigger jobs. Google around
with what you are trying to do. There's good advice lurking all over the
net.

Old July 31st 06, 05:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
mark

wrote:
Hello,
I got a pretty nice mountain bike about 6 years ago that has lasted
without a bit of trouble. It has only been recently that things have
started to go wrong and I've had to start making trips to the bike
shop. At this point I'm trying to decide whether I should try to
learn how to fix and take care of my own bike, or if I should just take
it to the shop every time there is a problem. Fixing it at the shop
seems to be relatively inexpensive, but I'm on a college budget and
grateful for every dollar that I can save. I live at home, so I do have
wrenches and some other tools lying around. So basically I'm
wondering how much money can be saved (& how much time 'lost') by
learning how to fix it yourself.
Thanks!
-Kendi

Someone was going to post this link sooner or later, it might as well be me.
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/#articles

I agree with Fred, aim for a bit of both. I tend toward buying a tool
for a job that I may or may not do every year or so, just because I get
a kick out of tinkering with my bikes and learning more about how they
work. Others do jobs that they can do in the time it takes to take the
bike to the bike shop, hand it over, and return to the shop to pick up
the repaired bike. Others expand their repertoire of repair skills and
tools to the point where they seldom, if ever, have to blow off a Sunday
ride because the bike broke Saturday night and the bike shop doesn't
open until Monday AM. Still others carry enough tools and spares to fix
almost anything that can go wrong on a long ride, so they never have to
worry about being stuck in the middle of nowhere with a broken bike. The
happiest medium is somewhere between all these extremes, all though I'm
still trying to figure out exactly where.

Keep in mind that "time lost" by learning to fix it yourself is
frequently offset by "time lost" by traveling to and from the bike shop
every time the bike breaks.

mark

Old July 31st 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill H.

wrote:
Hello,
I got a pretty nice mountain bike about 6 years ago that has lasted
without a bit of trouble. It has only been recently that things have
started to go wrong and I've had to start making trips to the bike
shop. At this point I'm trying to decide whether I should try to
learn how to fix and take care of my own bike, or if I should just take
it to the shop every time there is a problem. Fixing it at the shop
seems to be relatively inexpensive, but I'm on a college budget and
grateful for every dollar that I can save. I live at home, so I do have
wrenches and some other tools lying around. So basically I'm
wondering how much money can be saved (& how much time 'lost') by
learning how to fix it yourself.
Thanks!
-Kendi

I'd suggest picking up a good book on bike repair and a few tools.
Most repairs don't require much more than a little adjustment and some
basic knowledge, but some things are a lot quicker and easier if you
take them to a shop. Replacing a headset, for example, might be
difficult without the proper tool, as can bottom bracket service.

A lot of repairs and maintenance require little more than a screwdriver
and some hex wrenches, which can be had for a few dollars at a hardware
store. Throw in a can of WD-40, some 3-in-1 oil, a few wrenches and
you should be able to handle quite a bit on your own.