Brazing 990 mounts, over or under?

Old September 19th 07, 02:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JG

Default Brazing 990 mounts, over or under?

I take it they are linear pull these days?

I suppose it might be a bit easier to work on if they are on top.

JG

Old September 19th 07, 07:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Knutson

On Sep 19, 5:26 am, !Jones wrote:
On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 21:54:31 -0700, in rec.bicycles.tech JG

wrote:
It's hard to see how you would run the cable and housing with the, er,
brazed on center-pull, underneath the seat stays...

JG

Assume it's an... err... somewhat oddball frame and that the cable
routing will be fine if not better. Will there be any reason not to
do it that way that would go to the functionality of the brakes?

Jones

There's the question of whether the cable carrier will be able to be
in a spot that gives good mechanical advantage (presuming the routing
setup would use a carrier as opposed to dual cables, and I'm also
assuming this would be a typical setup where the carrier is in front
of the seattube and the straddle is going around the tube). Lower
tends to be better. I wish I knew how to quantify it accurately, but
if the cable carrier's nut is gonna be more than about 4 inches way
from the cable anchor points, braking will probably suffer. That 4
inches is a fudged number but i think it's about right. This could
definitely be a problem if the frame has a long-ish rear end. If it
seems like it's going to be too far away, and you still want to do
under-ss mounting (ie, for the sake of getting the best routing), then
you could just run the main cable through the seattube somehow,
allowing you to get the straddle nice and low. I'm not totally
confident on this, but I kinda suspect that there are millions of BMX
frames that really should have been built this way.

You also need to make sure that the chosen position provides clearance
from the rider and other parts of the bike.

It might also be worth mentioning that the alignment/symmetry of 990
bosses is important because it doesn't take much to cause some brake
arms to rub on each other.

Old September 19th 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 11:19:25 -0700, in rec.bicycles.tech Nate Knutson
wrote:

[...]

I have plenty of room and can locate the cable stop in an optimal
position on either side of the ss... if cable routing is my only
issue, then I don't have an issue. I have run cables through the seat
tube in the past (and seat post by milling a slot) but try to avoid it
because I didn't have a positive experience with that idea.

I spent a good deal of effort building the fixture to locate and align
the bosses. I'm putting them at 9.125" from the center of a mandrel
through the dropouts. I was real fussy about building the fixture to
be square. I think I'm something like 3.9" apart on the bosses and
that's wide, but that's where the stays are. Someone on the frame
builder's listserv said 80mm spacing was optimal, but I'd have to make
a flange to offset them and I plan to use the widest rim I can get.

Here goes! Pardon me while I light the torch.

Jones

Old September 19th 07, 08:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 13:13:49 -0000, in rec.bicycles.tech Scott Gordo
wrote:

The rationale on the BMX frame was for trick riding. Moving the brake
caliper south and out of the way lets you do certain tricks where your
foot wedges between frame and tire.

Sounds like fun!!! Would you teach me to do that?

Jones

Old September 19th 07, 10:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Scott Gordo

wrote:
The rationale on the BMX frame was for trick riding. Moving the brake
caliper south and out of the way lets you do certain tricks where your
foot wedges between frame and tire.

Sounds like fun!!! Would you teach me to do that?

Jones

Just read your post about the BMX tandem. I take it that you're
building a BMX frame?

If it helps, the Haro had the posts mounted on the bottom of the
stays.

BTW: I started looking around for old GT MTB frames with a U-brake,
and stumbled upon this very sweet, 1985 GT "Timberline". My friend
Jeff had that exact frame. In fact, I think it was the first MTB I'd
seen, back when I thought gears were for sissies.

Have fun!

/s

Old September 20th 07, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 14:32:43 -0700, in rec.bicycles.tech Scott Gordo
wrote:

Sounds like fun!!! Would you teach me to do that?

Jones

Just read your post about the BMX tandem. I take it that you're
building a BMX frame?

I was joking. I'm a geriatric professor, machinist, and frame builder
taking on an interesting project... and learning the history of BMX as
I go. I just learned that Gary Littlejohn did "Billy's" fall in *Easy
Rider*. Wow!

I'll *ride* the damn thing when I finish it, of course... and my wife
and life-long stoker will go, also... but the half-round is out of the
question, I'm afraid. I wonder how it'll handle? I'm used to our
early Paramount, so I positively cringe at the very thought!!! I
mean... can one apply that concept to a BMX? And a tandem to boot?
What I need is a real side hack! Wouldn't that be kinky? A couple of
60-somethings in a Littlejohn tandem side hack!!!

Jones

Old September 20th 07, 04:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Knutson

wrote:
Sounds like fun!!! Would you teach me to do that?

Jones

Just read your post about the BMX tandem. I take it that you're
building a BMX frame?

I was joking. I'm a geriatric professor, machinist, and frame builder
taking on an interesting project... and learning the history of BMX as
I go. I just learned that Gary Littlejohn did "Billy's" fall in *Easy
Rider*. Wow!

I'll *ride* the damn thing when I finish it, of course... and my wife
and life-long stoker will go, also... but the half-round is out of the
question, I'm afraid. I wonder how it'll handle? I'm used to our
early Paramount, so I positively cringe at the very thought!!! I
mean... can one apply that concept to a BMX?

The concept of caring about handling? Yes, why wouldn't it apply? Look
at what a skilled flatlander can do; of course they're sensitive to
how their stuff handles. Look at racing; there's any number of
variables that need to be considered to design a bike that handles
aggressively but controllably enough.

No idea at all how to make your tandem handle well though, of course.

Panasonic brazing toddio Techniques 10 June 7th 07 01:06 AM
Brazing on rack mounts? Alan Hoyle General 5 September 1st 06 06:17 PM
brazing a unicycle? ssissy Unicycling 7 December 13th 05 04:33 PM
Brazing in Brooklyn [email protected] Techniques 7 May 28th 05 05:38 PM
Anyone Tried Brazing? deadlydes Unicycling 19 February 18th 04 11:37 PM