seat pack solution for winter coat, etc.?

Old September 19th 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default seat pack solution for winter coat, etc.?

On Sep 18, 6:07 pm, "
wrote:
Hi all - can anyone suggest a good solution for carrying a winter
jacket and gloves under the seat? Here in CO it is often the case
that you only want them on for descents and I hate carrying them
stuffed in my jersey and I don't want to put a rack on. I've tried
putting them in stuff sacks and then bungee cording them to my little
seat pack but they never stay put and rub the legs.

Thanks,
Chris

The Jandd Mountain Wedge III bag is very large and can accomodate
jackets and other stuff. I know people who use it on week long
supported rides in Colorado to carry all of their clothes during the
day. Including Showers Pass Elite jacket, long finger gloves, leg
warmers, balaclava, arm warmers. If used unexpanded, you don't need
the straps.

http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FMW3

Old September 19th 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 08:03:54 -0700, "
wrote:

On Sep 18, 6:07 pm, "
wrote:
Hi all - can anyone suggest a good solution for carrying a winter
jacket and gloves under the seat? Here in CO it is often the case
that you only want them on for descents and I hate carrying them
stuffed in my jersey and I don't want to put a rack on. I've tried
putting them in stuff sacks and then bungee cording them to my little
seat pack but they never stay put and rub the legs.

Thanks,
Chris

The Jandd Mountain Wedge III bag is very large and can accomodate
jackets and other stuff. I know people who use it on week long
supported rides in Colorado to carry all of their clothes during the
day. Including Showers Pass Elite jacket, long finger gloves, leg
warmers, balaclava, arm warmers. If used unexpanded, you don't need
the straps.

http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FMW3

Dear Russell,

The Nashbar expanding version works well and is about $10:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...20Frame%20Bags

I've been using them and the JanD for years and find two problems.

First, the rail straps eventually wear through. Slipping short, ugly
sections of inner-tube over them solves that problem.

Second, the seat-post strap eventually tears off from where it's sewed
onto the nose of the bag. There's a huge plastic flap inside the bag,
curving from top to bottom past the nose, so I stick an ice-pick in a
stove flame and poke holes through the front to create a pair of slits
for a strap. The fabric melts, so the edges don't fray, and the strap
does better when run through the plastic.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old September 19th 07, 08:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Scott G.

As someone with *no* experience with these types of saddle bags, I've no
clue what would be tall enough. I'm 1.8 m (5'10") tall and ride a
pretty generic 57 cm frame. Tall enough?

\\paul

Look for the Carrradice Barley bag, will easily fit.
Has tie points on the bag lid to hold a wet jacket, use a couple toe
straps.

www.wallbike.com

Scott G.

Old September 19th 07, 10:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sep 19, 1:38 pm, wrote:
On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 08:03:54 -0700, "

wrote:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...ategory=600010...

I've been using them and the JanD for years and find two problems.

First, the rail straps eventually wear through. Slipping short, ugly
sections of inner-tube over them solves that problem.

Second, the seat-post strap eventually tears off from where it's sewed
onto the nose of the bag. There's a huge plastic flap inside the bag,
curving from top to bottom past the nose, so I stick an ice-pick in a
stove flame and poke holes through the front to create a pair of slits
for a strap. The fabric melts, so the edges don't fray, and the strap
does better when run through the plastic.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel- Hide quoted text -

The Nashbar bag is similar to the Jandd medium size saddlebag, not the
huge Wedge III bag Jandd sells. I have the Jandd medium saddlebag and
my complaint with it is it swings around a lot. The straps do not
allow it to be tightened to the rails. Velcro does not keep the
straps from sliding towards the post. My seatpost velcro strap is
wearing out and will likely break sometime soon. Straps through the
rail seem just fine. Top of the bag is getting a hole worn in it from
rubbing the rails I suspect. Nashbar bag does not have the horizontal
reflective strap like the Jandd. I hang multiple rear blinkies on
that Jandd strap.

Old September 19th 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Camilo

On Sep 18, 3:07 pm, "
wrote:
Hi all - can anyone suggest a good solution for carrying a winter
jacket and gloves under the seat? Here in CO it is often the case
that you only want them on for descents and I hate carrying them
stuffed in my jersey and I don't want to put a rack on. I've tried
putting them in stuff sacks and then bungee cording them to my little
seat pack but they never stay put and rub the legs.

Thanks,
Chris

It depends on what you mean by "winter jacket". How big is your
jacket.

A normal bicycle windbreaker/rain shell will not only easily and
unobtrusively fit into a jersey pocket, there are many largish seat
packs that would accomodate one. A fleece jacket or lined shell would
be a different story.

If you look at an online retailer such as performance, they will give
the volume of the pack as well as the dimensions. It would be easy
enough to fold or roll your jacket and then figure out how large of a
pack you need.

Old September 20th 07, 01:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 14:41:32 -0700, "
wrote:

On Sep 19, 1:38 pm, wrote:
On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 08:03:54 -0700, "

wrote:
On Sep 18, 6:07 pm, "
wrote:
[...]

Oops! You're right, I missed the mammoth dimensions of your JanDD and
just looked at the picture.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old September 20th 07, 03:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Luke

In article , Paul Myron Hobson
wrote:

Chalo wrote:
cjcrawford wrote:
Hi all - can anyone suggest a good solution for carrying a winter
jacket and gloves under the seat? Here in CO it is often the case
that you only want them on for descents and I hate carrying them
stuffed in my jersey and I don't want to put a rack on.

A Carradice bag like the Nelson Longflap is good for that, if you are
tall enough that it doesn't drag on the tire or otherwise get in the
way...

As someone with *no* experience with these types of saddle bags, I've no
clue what would be tall enough. I'm 1.8 m (5'10") tall and ride a
pretty generic 57 cm frame. Tall enough?

\\paul

Off hand, yes. I'm off the same height and ride a similarly spec'ed
frame with a Carradice Longflap. There are smaller saddlebags
available, e.g., Cadet, if it's a concern.

Browse the wallbike.com website, it displays photos of installed bags
along with relevant specs.

http://www.wallbike.com/carradice/longflaps.html
Old September 20th 07, 01:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Matt O'Toole

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 00:22:16 -0400, Paul Myron Hobson wrote:

Chalo wrote:
cjcrawford wrote:
Hi all - can anyone suggest a good solution for carrying a winter
jacket and gloves under the seat? Here in CO it is often the case
that you only want them on for descents and I hate carrying them
stuffed in my jersey and I don't want to put a rack on.

A Carradice bag like the Nelson Longflap is good for that, if you are
tall enough that it doesn't drag on the tire or otherwise get in the
way...

As someone with *no* experience with these types of saddle bags, I've no
clue what would be tall enough. I'm 1.8 m (5'10") tall and ride a
pretty generic 57 cm frame. Tall enough?

I think so.

But if all you need to carry is a jacket and gloves, a bag like the
Nelson is overkill. My Goretex jacket and gloves fit fine, along
with my tools and a spare tube, in an expandable wedge seat bag like this
one from Performance:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=2310

Matt O.
Old September 20th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul Kopit

You don't need a bag.

Get a pair of those shoe laces that are no-tie. They are coils of
elastic. Wrap each shoe lace over a seat rail. Then they sell a
clip, perhaps for tents, that has 2 holes and a pinch clamp. Put each
end of the shoe lace through the pinch clamp. Roll up your jacket.
Put one end of the roll through the loop you've made with the shoe
laces and tighten the pinch clamp. Do the same on the other side.
You have a rolled jacket attached to the back of your seat.

I've use the shoe laces to hold food for trips, etc.