Should we make people pass a cycling/motorcycle test before a drivingtest?

Old October 12th 08, 03:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling

Default Should we make people pass a cycling/motorcycle test before adriving test?

On Oct 11, 12:23*am, Mike A Schwab wrote:
On Oct 10, 6:03*pm, ComandanteBanana
wrote: Case in point is how we should make people pass a cycling/motorcycle
test and if they fail that test they won't have a chance with the
driving test! Why? Because it's better to knock a few cones with a
bicycle, than with a car, where those cones are bound to be cyclists
or pedestrians in real life.

Simply some people should not be driving!

I would say a bicycling test once a year in grades 3-10 ages 8-16,
call it pre-drivers education. *Then when you are old enough to get a
car drivers license, you just need to learn about cars, you already
know the rules of the road.

By the way, http://www.bikelib.org/ has a good 2007 rules of the road
video, free to watch or burn to CD.
A 1963 movie is on http://www.youtube.com/ and seach for 'One Got
Fat'.
Old October 12th 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.motorcycles,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Jym Dyer

[Removed from rec.bicycles.rides where this was NEVER on-topic.]

=v= The potential and actual damages of bicycles don't come
anywhere near those of motorized vehicles. It's simply not
worth the price of the bureaucracy involved.

=v= If the world's most repressive regimes can get by without
demanding licensing of bicyclists, I think free countries could
somehow manage to muddle through without it as well.
_Jym_

Old October 12th 08, 07:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.motorcycles,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Peter Hucker

On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 19:15:35 +0100, Jym Dyer wrote:

[Removed from rec.bicycles.rides where this was NEVER on-topic.]

And removed from others too. Only trolls use the followup header.

[plonk]

=v= The potential and actual damages of bicycles don't come
anywhere near those of motorized vehicles. It's simply not
worth the price of the bureaucracy involved.

=v= If the world's most repressive regimes can get by without
demanding licensing of bicyclists, I think free countries could
somehow manage to muddle through without it as well.
_Jym_

Strange Signs in London:
Spotted on a bathroom of an office:
TOILET OUT OF ORDER. PLEASE USE FLOOR BELOW.
In a Laundromat:
AUTOMATIC WASHING MACHINES. PLEASE REMOVE ALL YOUR CLOTHES WHEN THE LIGHT GOES OUT.
In a London department sto
BARGAIN BASEMENT UPSTAIRS
In an office:
WOULD THE PERSON WHO TOOK THE STEP LADDER YESTERDAY PLEASE BRING IT BACK OR FURTHER STEPS WILL BE TAKEN
In an office:
AFTER TEA BREAK STAFF SHOULD EMPTY THE TEAPOT AND STAND UPSIDE DOWN ON THE DRAINING BOARD
Outside a secondhand shop:
WE EXCHANGE ANYTHING - BICYCLES, WASHING MACHINES, ETC. WHY NOT BRING YOUR WIFE ALONG AND GET A WONDERFUL BARGAIN?
Notice in health food shop window:
CLOSED DUE TO ILLNESS
Spotted in a safari park:
ELEPHANTS PLEASE STAY IN YOUR CAR
Seen during a conference:
FOR ANYONE WHO HAS CHILDREN AND DOESN'T KNOW IT, THERE IS A DAY CARE ON THE 1ST FLOOR
Notice in a farmer's field:
THE FARMER ALLOWS WALKERS TO CROSS THE FIELD FOR FREE, BUT THE BULL CHARGES.
Message on a leaflet:
IF YOU CANNOT READ, THIS LEAFLET WILL TELL YOU HOW TO GET LESSONS
On a repair shop door:
WE CAN REPAIR ANYTHING. (PLEASE KNOCK HARD ON THE DOOR - THE BELL DOESN'T WORK)
Old October 12th 08, 07:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Jym Dyer

Trouble is, there's no such thing as a cycling test, which is
blatantly obvious when you observe the behaviour of cyclists.

=v= I suppose that if we were to undergo testing then we could
then aspire to the sterling achievements of motorists, who kill
and maim far greater numbers of people and destroy communities
and ecosystems far more effectively than bicyclists do.
_Jym_

Old October 12th 08, 07:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Eeyore

Halmyre wrote:

Trouble is, there's no such thing as a cycling test, which is blatantly
obvious when you observe the behaviour of cyclists.

I think you mean misbehaviour.

Graham

Old October 12th 08, 09:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.motorcycles,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
BOFH

[Removed from rec.bicycles.rides where this was NEVER on-topic.]

With that sig file, you have a nerve...are you GOD ;-)

Old October 12th 08, 10:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides
alan.holmes

"BOFH" wrote in message
"ComandanteBanana" wrote in message
Case in point is how we should make people pass a cycling/motorcycle
test and if they fail that test they won't have a chance with the
driving test! Why? Because it's better to knock a few cones with a
bicycle, than with a car, where those cones are bound to be cyclists
or pedestrians in real life.

Simply some people should not be driving!

uk.rec.driving

meet the obsessed, militant footsoldiers you share the road with.

I think you all need to talk this through

ALL car drivers shold have to ride a cycle for at least a year on the road
every day before getting a driving licence for a car.

Alan

Old October 14th 08, 12:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Oct 10, 10:20*pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
ComandanteBanana wrote:
Case in point is how we should make people pass a cycling/motorcycle
test and if they fail that test they won't have a chance with the
driving test! Why? Because it's better to knock a few cones with a
bicycle, than with a car, where those cones are bound to be cyclists
or pedestrians in real life.

How about needing to pass a test and get licensed to post to Usenet?

Simply some people should not be driving!

Simply, some people should not be posting to Usenet.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
If you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the precipitate.

My Internet License #1,030,155 is in order until 2015 or until the
revolution is completed, whichever comes first.