Texting while bicycling

Old February 10th 12, 12:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Brittain[_2_]

Default Texting while bicycling

Who does this???

http://www.wqad.com/news/wqad-propos...,4494370.story
Old February 10th 12, 01:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 02/10/2012 07:55 AM, John Brittain wrote:
Who does this???

http://www.wqad.com/news/wqad-propos...,4494370.story

Sad to say but I've seen more that one kid texting while riding a
bicycle. I would say that it should definitely be illegal.

I don't know about the bluetooth/hands free thing either. It's illegal
here to ride a bike with ear buds/ head phones etc.

Who the hell is so important that they MUST be in constant contact to
the extent that they can't miss messages for a bike ride?
Old February 10th 12, 03:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

Op 10-2-2012 13:55, John Brittain schreef:
Who does this???

http://www.wqad.com/news/wqad-propos...,4494370.story

More than 50% of the teenagers in The Netherlands.

Lou
Old February 10th 12, 05:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_3_]

John Brittain wrote:
Who does this???

http://www.wqad.com/news/wqad-propos...,4494370.story

A guy named Steven Roberts got some minor fame in the 1980s for living
on the road, pedaling around the country on an incredibly geeked-out
recumbent pulling a trailer. The rig (called Behemoth) weighed over 500
pounds and had an astonishing array of electronics, including solar
power and communication links. This was well before cell phones were
common.

Anyway, he successfully sold articles that he wrote while pedaling.
IIRC, he had his own custom design of a keyboard system. Its use
involved simultaneously pushing multiple buttons to key in characters. I
guess that's kind of like texting while bicycling.

Here's some info: http://ed-thelen.org/comp-hist/behemoth.html

Seems nothing is impossible. And there's no upper limit to geekiness!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 10th 12, 05:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

John Brittain wrote:
Who does this???

http://www.wqad.com/news/wqad-propos...,4494370.story

I see it in my neighborhood. Dumb, but not a threat to the
citizenry, IMHO.

Texting cyclists seldom leave as much carnage when things go
awry as do mommyvan pilots.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/accident/intexticated.asp

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news.../14/227389.htm

bicycle content:
http://www.boston.com/news/local/bre...xting_whi.html

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old February 10th 12, 05:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert[_4_]

On 2/10/2012 12:41 PM, AMuzi wrote:
John Brittain wrote:
Who does this???

http://www.wqad.com/news/wqad-propos...,4494370.story

I see it in my neighborhood. Dumb, but not a threat to the citizenry, IMHO.

Texting cyclists seldom leave as much carnage when things go awry as do
mommyvan pilots.

I've had two occasions when a texting cyclist going against traffic came
at me head on forcing me to avoid him. In one case, I just swerved into
the lane but the other case, there was a lot of traffic so I had to dump
onto a curb. Could have been worse. And it's certainly not the same
damage caused by drivers but it should be considered a thread to the
citizenry.

And interestingly enough, both of these times, the riders were wearing
ear buds and probably didn't hear me screaming at them.
Old February 10th 12, 05:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Feb 10, 12:41*pm, AMuzi wrote:
John Brittain wrote:
Who does this???

http://www.wqad.com/news/wqad-propos...exting-while-b...

bicycle content:http://www.boston.com/news/local/bre...man_texting_wh...

--
Andrew Muzi
* www.yellowjersey.org/
* Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Notice in the article of the last link that not only was the driver
texting but he was also driving without a licence.

Cheers
Old February 10th 12, 06:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 2/10/2012 4:55 AM, John Brittain wrote:
Who does this???

http://www.wqad.com/news/wqad-propos...,4494370.story

I tried it once but I nearly dropped my coffee mug and electric razor so
I stopped.
Old February 11th 12, 02:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Frank Krygowski:
Anyway, he successfully sold articles that he wrote while pedaling.
IIRC, he had his own custom design of a keyboard system. Its use
involved simultaneously pushing multiple buttons to key in characters. I
guess that's kind of like texting while bicycling.

The way I heard it:

He had a row of our buttons accessible by each hand.

The computer characters he was inputting (and which I *think*
most Euro-language people are still inputting) are composed of 8
binary bits each. He was keying the binary bit equivalent of
each character.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old February 11th 12, 02:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 12:19:25 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Here's some info: http://ed-thelen.org/comp-hist/behemoth.html

Mo
http://microship.com
http://microship.com/bike/index.html

This was well before cell phones were common.

There were several versions of the bicycle. At one point, he had a
satellite phone and an Oki AMPS cell phone.

You might be interested in his helmet:
http://microship.com/resources/bike-human-interface.html

Seems nothing is impossible. And there's no upper limit to geekiness!

Nope. The capacity of my pocket protector is limited to about 6 pens.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com
#
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS