CRITICAL MASS Melbourne - 8th Birthday Ride - Fri 28/11

Old November 24th 03, 03:14 AM
Juz

Default CRITICAL MASS Melbourne - 8th Birthday Ride - Fri 28/11

Cyclists and skaters will reclaim Melbourne's streets!
THIS FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 28

-----

On Friday November 28, hundreds of Critical Massers will celebrate CM
Melbourne's 8th Birthday. We'll be cycling and skating around Melbourne's
CBD & inner suburbs. Why? Because BIKES ARE FUN (& skates are fun too)!

Critical Mass invites all cyclists and skaters to join the party, as we
escape inCARceration and celebrate pollution-free transport. Come along to
our party on wheels, and help us show Melbourne a better way to get around.
The ride is not a race -- we travel together simply to enjoy the comfort and
safety of the car-free space we create. We move at a gentle pace, and
skaters have no difficulty keeping up. Conversation between participants is
plentiful.

Melbourne is choking on its obsession with cars -- we're about sustainable
transport and sustainable cities. We're a celebration of human-powered
transport, and a glimpse of what life could be like in a people-oriented
society. A Critical Mass ride does not block traffic -- We ARE traffic. Be
open to new ideas!

-----

CRITICAL MASS 8th Birthday Ride/Skate

5.30pm Friday, November 28
Meet at the State Library, cnr Swanston Walk & LaTrobe St
All cyclists & skaters welcome - Bring your friends!
Cost: FREE!

http://www.criticalmass.org.au/

Old November 24th 03, 12:01 PM
Deep Freud Moors

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 03:14:29 GMT, Juz wrote:

Cyclists and skaters will reclaim Melbourne's streets!
THIS FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 28

Featuring me on a crazy bike! If I can get through the whole thing and
fall off only half a dozen times, I'll be chuffed!
---
DFM
Old November 25th 03, 01:08 PM
David Sutton

[...]

I'll be there... bringing the family too!
DS

Old November 28th 03, 02:40 PM
cfsmtb

Arr me hearties, it was grand, wearing a DIY Pirate costume + my old 17
old goth boots on spd pedals... Anyway, there were kids in trailers,
kids in bob trailers, dawgs, single speeders, trials lads, recumbents,
commuters, on-bike sound systems, all various hues of the cycling
rainbow, plus the added bonus of visiting the multi-level carpark in
Little Collins St. DFM rode his brilliant pixie bike, I almost fell off
mine several times due to footware. Post ride drinkies at the Standard
much fun. Est. the ride numbers at 300-400.

BTW, hello Fred N., nice suggestion of a "ride thru" of Abbotsford
Cycles while the mass was at Swan/Hoddle intersection. Do you want a
soft serve with that?

Old November 29th 03, 10:33 PM
Dallas Goldburg

492 riders

Dallas Goldburg
Mouse in the House

When in doubt, jiggle the cable.

"cfsmtb" wrote in message
Arr me hearties, it was grand, wearing a DIY Pirate costume + my old 17
old goth boots on spd pedals... Est. the ride numbers at 300-400.

Old November 30th 03, 01:15 AM
Deep Freud Moors

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 09:33:39 +1100, "Dallas Goldburg"
wrote:

492 riders

OK, how on earth do you know that?
---
DFM
Old November 30th 03, 01:23 AM
hippy

http://melbourne.indymedia.org/news/...ment.php#58273

hippy

Old November 30th 03, 02:49 AM
David Sutton

492 riders

OK, how on earth do you know that?
---
DFM

Easy. Someone who is a friend of ours stood by the side of Londsale St with
a "clicker" and counted everyone as they went past. This was about 2 blocks
from the start when the Mass was at its most Massive.

DS

Old November 30th 03, 03:06 AM
Deep Freud Moors

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 12:23:21 +1100, "hippy"
wrote:

http://melbourne.indymedia.org/news/...ment.php#58273

hippy

Nice shot of Paliament! I passed by Russell, and he demanded a ride on
my dragster.

A whopper copper on a whopper chopper.
---
DFM
Old December 1st 03, 11:26 AM
Fred Nieman

cfsmtb wrote:

Arr me hearties, it was grand, wearing a DIY Pirate costume + my old 17
old goth boots on spd pedals...

Were the boots from when you were a 17 year old goth, or were the boots
17 years old?!?
(And wasn't International Talk Like a Pirate Day sometime in October?)

Anyway, there were kids in trailers,
kids in bob trailers, dawgs, single speeders, trials lads, recumbents,
commuters, on-bike sound systems, all various hues of the cycling
rainbow, plus the added bonus of visiting the multi-level carpark in
Little Collins St. DFM rode his brilliant pixie bike, I almost fell off
mine several times due to footware. Post ride drinkies at the Standard
much fun. Est. the ride numbers at 300-400.

BTW, hello Fred N., nice suggestion of a "ride thru" of Abbotsford
Cycles while the mass was at Swan/Hoddle intersection.

Lowlight for me:
The, ahem, Taxi Van Of Anger incident ("It was some ferally-looking
person on a bicycle, Officer..."

Highlight:
On the city side of Grattan Street Carlton just before the intersection
with Swanston Street, a few doors up from the shopfront for (ugh)
Melbourne University Private, held in his tall dad's (probably) arms, a
two-year old or so kiddie was a wriggling, squealing ball of delirious
joy at the sight of eight-year old CM. (I took photos of this, and some
other onlooker reactions, this time. Will post when I get around to
getting the throwaway camera processed.)

Highlight (runner up):
Scene - Punt Road, between the MCG and the Swan Street corner, the cars
are banked up of the downhill side, and CMy8 moves gracefully along the
uphill.
Dramatis Personae: Man with Microphone; Other CMy8ers.
MwM (to traffic): A sports car... will *not* improve your fitness;
Do not be deceived... by shiny surfaces;
Does your arse look big ... in that car?
If cars are so good... why do they have to adverstise
them so much?
Riding a bicycle will... make you as sexy as I am;
Riding a bicycle will... cure that nasty rash
Other CMy8ers (previously silent): No it won't!!!

Do you want a
soft serve with that?

But, McDonalds serves "health-foods" now, don't they???

xxx