Should I let this guy marry my daughter?

Old August 18th 04, 04:56 PM
AustinMN

Default Should I let this guy marry my daughter?

OK, I know the question is coming...I know they've been looking at
engagement rings and such. They're both a bit more traditional, so I know
this guy will be asking my permission.

He's a great guy, and he rides his bike everywhere, frequently even the 15
miles from his house to ours just to see her. He has even accomplished
something I have not: getting my daughter to ride more.

But there's a problem. His department store MTB bike died on him (something
in the suspension broke). I suggested an LBS and suggested he look at a
road bike since 100% of his riding is on the road.

He showed up last week with a brand new Huffy mountain bike.

I'm beginning to doubt whether this is the right guy for her. So when he
asks me, what should I say?

Austin
--
I'm pedaling as fast as I durn well please!
There are no X characters in my address

Old August 18th 04, 05:17 PM
S o r n i

AustinMN wrote:
OK, I know the question is coming...I know they've been looking at
engagement rings and such. They're both a bit more traditional, so I
know this guy will be asking my permission.

He's a great guy, and he rides his bike everywhere, frequently even
the 15 miles from his house to ours just to see her. He has even
accomplished something I have not: getting my daughter to ride more.

But there's a problem. His department store MTB bike died on him
(something in the suspension broke). I suggested an LBS and
suggested he look at a road bike since 100% of his riding is on the
road.

He showed up last week with a brand new Huffy mountain bike.

I'm beginning to doubt whethe
rthisistherightguyforher.Sowhenhe asks me, what should I say?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Anyone else getting these run-together chunks of text lately? Seem to be 5
to 8 posts a day from various members with little sections squeezed like
that. Strange.

Anyway, as long as the kid buys quality stuff for your daughter, then it's
OK if he cheaps-out on himself. If he ever bought /her/ a Huffy, however...
well, time for a one-way ticket to BFE for him!

Bill "hey, that Huffy will soon be related to you! A bike-in-law?!?" S.

Old August 18th 04, 05:19 PM
DRS

"S o r n i" wrote in message

AustinMN wrote:

[...]

I'm beginning to doubt whethe
rthisistherightguyforher.Sowhenhe asks me, what should I say?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Anyone else getting these run-together chunks of text lately? Seem
to be 5 to 8 posts a day from various members with little sections
squeezed like that. Strange.

I've seen a few of them too but thus far I've not been able to determine if
there's a pattern to them.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old August 18th 04, 05:20 PM
David Reuteler

AustinMN wrote:
I'm beginning to doubt whether this is the right guy for her. So when he
asks me, what should I say?

leave it up to your daughter but be sure to explain to her how much it'll
pain you to see her husband much less her on a huffy. really strive to
get that point across. perhaps buy them custom his & her waterfords bicycles
as a wedding gift. if they still ride the huffys have the wedding anulled.
--
david reuteler

Old August 18th 04, 05:22 PM
David Reuteler

S o r n i wrote:
I'm beginning to doubt whethe
rthisistherightguyforher.Sowhenhe asks me, what should I say?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Anyone else getting these run-together chunks of text lately? Seem to be 5
to 8 posts a day from various members with little sections squeezed like
that. Strange.

nope, it's you or your nntp server. i see it as:

Old August 18th 04, 05:33 PM
Bob in CT

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 15:56:17 GMT, AustinMN wrote:

[...]

Hmmm...hard call. Perhaps a gentle nudge in the right direction might
do. That, or a swift kick to the rear! ;-)

--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply
Old August 18th 04, 05:52 PM
Curtis L. Russell

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 16:17:34 GMT, "S o r n i"
wrote:

Anyone else getting these run-together chunks of text lately? Seem to be 5
to 8 posts a day from various members with little sections squeezed like
that. Strange.

No. Looks fine on Agent.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old August 18th 04, 05:57 PM
Darin McGrew

AustinMN wrote:
OK, I know the question is coming...I know they've been looking at
engagement rings and such. They're both a bit more traditional, so I know
this guy will be asking my permission.[...]

He showed up last week with a brand new Huffy mountain bike.

I'm beginning to doubt whether this is the right guy for her. So when he
asks me, what should I say?

Mixed marriages present unique challenges, but with commitment,
understanding, and compromise, they can work.

Premarital counseling is a good idea. You might consider paying for a few
dozen sessions as an engagement present.
--
Darin McGrew, , http://www.rahul.net/mcgrew/
Web Design Group, , http://www.HTMLHelp.com/

"Shin: a device for finding furniture in the dark." - Steven Wright
Old August 18th 04, 06:01 PM
Chris BeHanna

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 16:56:17 +0000, AustinMN wrote:

OK, I know the question is coming...I know they've been looking at
engagement rings and such. They're both a bit more traditional, so
I know this guy will be asking my permission.

He's a great guy, and he rides his bike everywhere, frequently even
the 15 miles from his house to ours just to see her. He has even
accomplished something I have not: getting my daughter to ride more.

But there's a problem. His department store MTB bike died on him
(something in the suspension broke). I suggested an LBS and
suggested he look at a road bike since 100% of his riding is on the
road.

He showed up last week with a brand new Huffy mountain bike.

I'm beginning to doubt whether this is the right guy for her. So
when he asks me, what should I say?

Silly man. He's saving his $$$ for the engagement ring,
honeymoon, and downpayment on the first house.

Give him your blessing and congratulate him on having his
priorities in order.

Then get him (or have his friends get him, since you have "father
of the bride" expenses) a decent bike for a wedding present. :-)

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer (Remove "allspammersmustdie" before responding.)

I was raised by a pack of wild corn dogs.

Old August 18th 04, 06:13 PM
Frank Krygowski

AustinMN wrote:
OK, I know the question is coming...I know they've been looking at
engagement rings and such. They're both a bit more traditional, so I know
this guy will be asking my permission.

He's a great guy, and he rides his bike everywhere, frequently even the 15
miles from his house to ours just to see her. He has even accomplished
something I have not: getting my daughter to ride more.

But there's a problem. His department store MTB bike died on him (something
in the suspension broke). I suggested an LBS and suggested he look at a
road bike since 100% of his riding is on the road.

He showed up last week with a brand new Huffy mountain bike.

I'm beginning to doubt whether this is the right guy for her. So when he
asks me, what should I say?

We had a related problem. My daughter's fiance had _no_ bike. Our
solution: we helped him buy a Cannondale. He seems very happy with
that, and so does our daughter.

--
Frank Krygowski [To reply, remove rodent and vegetable dot com.
Substitute cc dot ysu dot