Should I let this guy marry my daughter?

Old August 18th 04, 06:24 PM
Roger Zoul

AustinMN wrote:
:: OK, I know the question is coming...I know they've been looking at
:: engagement rings and such. They're both a bit more traditional, so
:: I know this guy will be asking my permission.
::
:: He's a great guy, and he rides his bike everywhere, frequently even
:: the 15 miles from his house to ours just to see her. He has even
:: accomplished something I have not: getting my daughter to ride more.
::
:: But there's a problem. His department store MTB bike died on him
:: (something in the suspension broke). I suggested an LBS and
:: suggested he look at a road bike since 100% of his riding is on the
:: road.
::
:: He showed up last week with a brand new Huffy mountain bike.
::
:: I'm beginning to doubt whether this is the right guy for her. So
:: when he asks me, what should I say?

I think you're getting off easy with this guy. Things could be much, much
worse!

Old August 18th 04, 06:43 PM
Pat Lamb

AustinMN wrote:
OK, I know the question is coming...I know they've been looking at
engagement rings and such. They're both a bit more traditional, so I know
this guy will be asking my permission.

He's a great guy, and he rides his bike everywhere, frequently even the 15
miles from his house to ours just to see her. He has even accomplished
something I have not: getting my daughter to ride more.

But there's a problem. His department store MTB bike died on him (something
in the suspension broke). I suggested an LBS and suggested he look at a
road bike since 100% of his riding is on the road.

He showed up last week with a brand new Huffy mountain bike.

I'm beginning to doubt whether this is the right guy for her. So when he
asks me, what should I say?

Depends. Is he buying the engagement ring at the same store he buys
bicycles?

Pat
Old August 18th 04, 08:44 PM
Paul R

I'm beginning to doubt whether this is the right guy for her. So when he
asks me, what should I say?

Austin

heh heh, you should say it's none of your business who your daughter
marries. It's her choice, why the hell should he ask you?

cheers,

ps granted - having a huffy in the family is pretty tough to take, but I
guess that's one of the burdens of parenthood - dealing with your child's
decisions....

Old August 18th 04, 08:45 PM
di

--
I'm pedaling as fast as I durn well please!
There are no X characters in my address

Make him leave the Huffy home when he comes to visit..

Old August 18th 04, 09:55 PM
Dave Stallard

AustinMN wrote:

He showed up last week with a brand new Huffy mountain bike.

I'm beginning to doubt whether this is the right guy for her. So when he
asks me, what should I say?

No.
Old August 18th 04, 10:33 PM
AustinMN

Little Meow wrote:
Alas, but it is too late! Let her go to be happy
with her common man. Give him your blessing.

When they visit, have them enter through the back
door and place their huffies under a tarp.

HIS Huffy. Years ago I made sure she had a Specialized that she will be
encouraged to take with her beyond the Honeymoon.

Austin

Old August 18th 04, 10:34 PM
AustinMN

Roger Zoul wrote:
AustinMN wrote:
[...]

How so? Mogoose?

Austin

Old August 18th 04, 10:36 PM
AustinMN

Pat Lamb wrote:
AustinMN wrote:
[...]

Not sure if this is good, but she seems to have a significant amount of
control over where they shop for the engagement ring.

Austin

Old August 18th 04, 10:39 PM
AustinMN

Paul R wrote:

I'm beginning to doubt whether this is the right guy for her. So when

he
asks me, what should I say?

Austin

heh heh, you should say it's none of your business who your daughter
marries. It's her choice, why the hell should he ask you?

cheers,

ps granted - having a huffy in the family is pretty tough to take, but I
guess that's one of the burdens of parenthood - dealing with your child's
decisions....

I suppose you're right. Along with the Huffy, he's paying his own way
through college.

Most guys his age in this area don't own a bicycle, but do own a pickup
truck. Some, but not all, of those have high school diplomas.

Austin

Old August 18th 04, 10:45 PM
Bob in CT

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 21:39:08 GMT, AustinMN wrote:

Paul R wrote:

I'm beginning to doubt whether this is the right guy for her. So when

he
asks me, what should I say?

Austin

heh heh, you should say it's none of your business who your daughter
marries. It's her choice, why the hell should he ask you?

cheers,

ps granted - having a huffy in the family is pretty tough to take, but I
guess that's one of the burdens of parenthood - dealing with your
child's
decisions....

I suppose you're right. Along with the Huffy, he's paying his own way
through college.

Most guys his age in this area don't own a bicycle, but do own a pickup
truck. Some, but not all, of those have high school diplomas.

Austin

Some of the pickup trucks? ;-) While I do own a pickup, I do see where
pickups are associated with hicks.

--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply