Show of hands: who carries a camera when cycling?

Old June 21st 05, 02:46 PM
daren

I take my Canon G5 on some rides. It has much of the versatility you
might be looking for (F2 lens, manual exposure, adjustable flash power
etc...). Of course it isn't exactly small or compact, but the quality
is there (if you avoid bright edges into the sun).

I do miss my 24mm Nikkor, but wide and (compact) digital don't yet gel.

regards
daren
--
remove outer garment for reply

Old June 21st 05, 02:49 PM
bugbear

C.J.Patten wrote:
"Roger Zoul" wrote in message

which one do you have? Mine is too big to bother with on the bike. If it
were the size of my iPod Shuffle....

Bought a used Canon A60.
Here's the skinny: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/a60.html

Watch out for reliability. I had trouble, and others have too.
The zoom/focus mechanism in particular is super-prone
to dirt, causing an "E18" error. I would recommend
a GOOD case, and carrying "decoupled" from the
(vibration of the) frame.

OTOH - great camera, great price, great features, great photos.

I just bought it's grandson - the A510, successor to the A75,
successor to the A60.

BugBear
Old June 21st 05, 03:07 PM
Ryan Cousineau

In article .com,
"daren" wrote:

I take my Canon G5 on some rides. It has much of the versatility you
might be looking for (F2 lens, manual exposure, adjustable flash power
etc...). Of course it isn't exactly small or compact, but the quality
is there (if you avoid bright edges into the sun).

I do miss my 24mm Nikkor, but wide and (compact) digital don't yet gel.

regards
daren
--
remove outer garment for reply

I'm not sure if a wide-angle adapter lens is available for the G5, but I
suspect so, as the Canon A-series has one. Olympus does offer the
C-5050, a "wide zoom", and there are a few other non-SLR digitals with
3-4x lenses that are biased to the wide end, though I doubt many start
below a 28mm (35mm equivalent) lens.

ObCam: I have a little Nikon Coolpix 2500, a wildly outdated little
thing which is reasonably small, reasonably good, and protects its lens
very well. That last is an important feature for me.

Old June 21st 05, 03:08 PM
bryanska

Here's a blog entry from my MS 150 ride. Nice photos and a video of a
waterfall during the ride.

Old June 21st 05, 03:49 PM
C.J.Patten

"Pete Biggs" wrote in message

I will carry one too after getting a compact digi at long last. It'll
make my rides much longer... timewise, that is

I miss the versatility and quality of my old SLR but that is too big &
heavy to carry on the road bike at all (without a lot of bother).

I hear you. I'm definately an old-school SLR guy - worked as a nature &
wildlife photographer for a while - but it's a bit inconvenient.

I'm consistantly impressed with the Canon line of Digital rangefinder
cameras. The "A" series (A40 through A95 I think) seem to all have full
manual modes - real enthusiasts cameras.

Now that I've got that huge rear rack to work with, I'll have room for a
DSLR when I can afford one.

BTW: THANK YOU to everyone posting their links! Wonderful pictures - keep em
coming!

Chris

Old June 21st 05, 03:50 PM
bryanska

Here's my blog entry from the MS 150 tour I just finished.

http://www.theevilwebsite.com/blog/_...14/940335.html

Old June 21st 05, 03:51 PM
C.J.Patten

"bugbear" wrote in message

Watch out for reliability. I had trouble, and others have too.

Thanks for the heads up... I'll keep it well protected!

C.

Old June 21st 05, 04:00 PM
Colorado Bicycler

Hey, I was 59yo when that pic

http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox?/fambicy.htm

was taken several years ago. It was on Ride the Rockies between Ward
and Estes Park on the Peak to Peak Highway, and it was taken
professionally.

Have to get a more recent decet photo somewhere, now that I am 65.

Old June 21st 05, 04:14 PM
Colorado Bicycler

Hey, I was 59yo when that pic

(That URL got screwed up somehow

http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox/fambicy.htm

Old June 21st 05, 06:27 PM
Zog The Undeniable

C.J.Patten wrote:

Having just gotten my hands on a digital camera (my first still camera in a
few years) I'm happy to find it fits perfectly in my seat-bag along with the
break-away gear! 8D

Rarely. I have a pair of screw-mount Leicas and the sure-fire way to
cock up the rangefinder adjustment is to carry them on a bicycle. They
can't take the vibration.