ANOTHER Dead Mountain Biker!: Man, 62, killed in mountain bikingaccident

Old October 26th 11, 07:15 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Tim Howard

Default ANOTHER Dead Mountain Biker!: Man, 62, killed in mountain bikingaccident

On 10/24/2011 2:20 AM, Edward Dolan wrote:
"Tim wrote in message
[...]
Why are you always ranting about mountain bikers?

Why don't you educate yourself and find out why. Begin with reviewing the
tens of thousands of posts to be found on these newsgroups. That should keep
you busy for a few years at least.

I wasn't talking to you, but I assume you are in league with Mike. Out
of all the people and groups in the world I think we should be
protesting against, mountain bikers must be pretty far down the list.
But with your answer you obviously cannot explain the source of your hatred.
Old October 26th 11, 08:04 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Edward Dolan

"Tim Howard" wrote in message
On 10/24/2011 2:20 AM, Edward Dolan wrote:
"Tim wrote in message
[...]
Why are you always ranting about mountain bikers?

Why don't you educate yourself and find out why. Begin with reviewing the
tens of thousands of posts to be found on these newsgroups. That should
keep
you busy for a few years at least.

I wasn't talking to you, but I assume you are in league with Mike.

A post to a newsgroup is a message to a universe of readers who can reply in
whatever way they want.

Out
of all the people and groups in the world I think we should be protesting
against, mountain bikers must be pretty far down the list. But with your
answer you obviously cannot explain the source of your hatred.

I do not like mountain bikes on hiking trails - period. They ruin things for
hikers.

These newsgroups are mainly concerned with ethical issues of how we use our
human and natural environments for recreation, whether cycling or hiking.
Both Mr. Vandeman and I want hiking trails reserved for hikers.

--
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old October 26th 11, 03:00 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

On Oct 26, 12:04*am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"Tim Howard" wrote in message

On 10/24/2011 2:20 AM, Edward Dolan wrote:
"Tim *wrote in message
et...
[...]
[...]

Correction: I welcome mountain bikers on hiking trails, as long as
they don't bring their bikes with them. But for some reason, they are
too lazy to walk! What's THAT about?
Old October 26th 11, 09:15 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
VtSkier[_2_]

On 10/26/2011 3:04 AM, Edward Dolan wrote:
"Tim wrote in message
On 10/24/2011 2:20 AM, Edward Dolan wrote:
"Tim wrote in message
[...]
[...]

Uhm, no Ed. You want wheeled vehicles, particularly
mountain bikes off hiking trails. Mr. Vandeman wants
mountain bikes removed from the face of the earth.
There is a difference and Mr. Vandeman is quite clear
on this in direct statement and inferences like
characterizing a person who commits a crime in Queens
or Brooklyn and who escapes from the scene on a
mountain bike as a mountain biker. C'mon, I can see
through this, can't you?

Old October 26th 11, 10:06 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Edward Dolan

"VtSkier" wrote in message
[...]

Mountain bikes are fine on roads (including jeep roads and forest roads no
matter how crude). In fact, they even work quite well on city streets since
most such streets are so rough. Whatever else Mr. Vandeman may want, I KNOW
he does not want mountain bikes on hiking trails. What is there about this
that you do not understand?

Old October 27th 11, 02:35 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

"Tim *wrote in message
t...
On 10/24/2011 2:20 AM, Edward Dolan wrote:
"Tim * wrote in message
. net...
[...]
[...]

You don't know what you are talking about, as usual. I want bikes
restricted to pavement. So do all other normal people.

Of course, mountain bikes aren't appropriate for pavement, so there is
no point in making them. They are just another industrial product
looking for a purpose.

There is a difference and Mr. Vandeman is quite clear
on this in direct statement and inferences like
characterizing a person who commits a crime in Queens
or Brooklyn and who escapes from the scene on a
mountain bike as a mountain biker. C'mon, I can see
through this, can't you?- Hide quoted text -

Old October 27th 11, 09:39 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Edward Dolan

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
[...]
Of course, mountain bikes aren't appropriate for pavement, so there is

no point in making them. They are just another industrial product
looking for a purpose.

I think a few definitions are in order. Mountain bikes with springs front
and rear are designed for off road use of course, but most mountain bikes do
not have any springs and are quite appropriate for street use. In fact,
mountain bikes are ideal for gravel roads (which can be quite rough), of
which there are several thousand miles of such roads here in southern
Minnesota, northern Iowa and eastern South Dakota. It is often better to
ride on such roads rather than risk life and limb on paved roads with
speeders and drunken drivers. You will actually see more mountain bikes on
week long organized group bike tours than any other kind of bike. These type
of rides are all on pavement.

Another distinction without a difference is the term 'mountain biker' as
applied to someone walking on a trail sans bike. Such a person is no longer
a mountain biker, but a hiker. It is not the mountain bike which is at
fault, but rather the person who uses such a bike for riding off road,
especially for riding on a hiking trail. The term 'mountain biker' should
only be applied to the person riding a bike off road. The bike itself is
sinless and does not in any way describe the person using such a bike
appropriately. Such a person is simply a cyclist.