Co-op not cycle friendly

Old April 16th 07, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PassingTyke

Default Co-op not cycle friendly

Does anyone here use any of those small Co-op minimarkets which seem to
be quite common around where I live (West Yorkshire)?

I ask because of the ones I use, 3 have small car parks and plenty of
space to accommodate a cycle stand or 2, yet none are provided. I find
this particularly annoying as the Co-op actively promotes itself as an
ethical and environmentally friendly business.

I've emailed the Co-op about the lack of cycle parking locally, but am
curious to know whether this is only a problem in my area or whether
they are falling down on this nationally.
Old April 16th 07, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

PassingTyke said the following on 16/04/2007 12:52:

I've emailed the Co-op about the lack of cycle parking locally, but am
curious to know whether this is only a problem in my area or whether
they are falling down on this nationally.

Can't speak for Co-op, but a local branch of a mini-market chain has
nice little loops in the wall that can just about be used to lock a bike
up to. For some reason dog-owners get irate :-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old April 16th 07, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

PassingTyke wrote:
Does anyone here use any of those small Co-op minimarkets which seem to
be quite common around where I live (West Yorkshire)?

I ask because of the ones I use, 3 have small car parks and plenty of
space to accommodate a cycle stand or 2, yet none are provided. I find
this particularly annoying as the Co-op actively promotes itself as an
ethical and environmentally friendly business.

I've emailed the Co-op about the lack of cycle parking locally, but am
curious to know whether this is only a problem in my area or whether
they are falling down on this nationally.

My local "big" co-op has excellent bicycle facs, in pride of place
near the entrance.

Actually, the local Tesco does too.

BugBear
Old April 16th 07, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Lloyd

On 16 Apr, 13:15, Paul Boyd usenet.dont.work@plusnet wrote:
PassingTyke said the following on 16/04/2007 12:52:

I've emailed the Co-op about the lack of cycle parking locally, but am
curious to know whether this is only a problem in my area or whether
they are falling down on this nationally.

Can't speak for Co-op, but a local branch of a mini-market chain has
nice little loops in the wall that can just about be used to lock a bike
up to. For some reason dog-owners get irate :-)

You can't carry much shopping on a dog, so why should they provide dog
parking spaces?

David Lloyd

Old April 16th 07, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

David Lloyd said the following on 16/04/2007 13:41:

You can't carry much shopping on a dog, so why should they provide dog
parking spaces?

That's my thinking :-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old April 16th 07, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave

"Paul Boyd" usenet.dont.work@plusnet wrote in message
David Lloyd said the following on 16/04/2007 13:41:

You can't carry much shopping on a dog, so why should they provide dog
parking spaces?

That's my thinking :-)

There is usually a sign on the door that prevents you taking all but
assistance dogs in though, so they feel a need to provide a place to park
the dog.

There is no such sign to prevent you taking your bike in so perhaps you
should. If it has panniers it could double as a trolley :-))

Dave

Old April 16th 07, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alan Braggins

David Lloyd wrote:
On 16 Apr, 13:15, Paul Boyd usenet.dont.work@plusnet wrote:

Can't speak for Co-op, but a local branch of a mini-market chain has
nice little loops in the wall that can just about be used to lock a bike
up to. For some reason dog-owners get irate :-)

You can't carry much shopping on a dog, so why should they provide dog
parking spaces?

http://www.canine-spirit.com/shop/de...26&prodsecid=3
18 litres is probably all the shopping I'd buy from the local mini-market
instead of going to a full size supermarket anyway.
Old April 16th 07, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nigel Cliffe

PassingTyke wrote:
Does anyone here use any of those small Co-op minimarkets which seem
to be quite common around where I live (West Yorkshire)?

I ask because of the ones I use, 3 have small car parks and plenty of
space to accommodate a cycle stand or 2, yet none are provided. I
find this particularly annoying as the Co-op actively promotes itself
as an ethical and environmentally friendly business.

I've emailed the Co-op about the lack of cycle parking locally, but am
curious to know whether this is only a problem in my area or whether
they are falling down on this nationally.

My local village Co-op branch has some Sheffield stands, as well as some
convienient poles supporting a canopy. Most of the "keep the cars on the
road and carpark" metal posts have a Co-op label on them, so I guess they
also financed the stands.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Old April 16th 07, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 12:52:12 +0100 someone who may be PassingTyke
wrote this:-

Does anyone here use any of those small Co-op minimarkets which seem to
be quite common around where I live (West Yorkshire)?

The equivalent Co-op near where I live often has bikes parked inside
the shop, just inside the door in the Post Office bit. I have never
heard anyone complain, other than when children lie them down on the
floor rather then leaning them against the window.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old April 16th 07, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike the unimaginative[_4_]

David Hansen wrote in
:

wrote this:-

Does anyone here use any of those small Co-op minimarkets which seem to
be quite common around where I live (West Yorkshire)?

The equivalent Co-op near where I live often has bikes parked inside
the shop, just inside the door in the Post Office bit. I have never
heard anyone complain, other than when children lie them down on the
floor rather then leaning them against the window.

The two smallish co-ops near me (in Leicester) do not have cycle parking
facilities. One has a good sized car park - the other is a major source of
congestion!

How cycle friendly is the UK? Timo UK 42 December 6th 05 05:04 PM
Student friendly cycle insurance Doki UK 26 September 20th 05 12:45 PM
Cycle friendly cafes and pubs Simonb UK 11 April 28th 04 11:05 PM
Cycle Un-friendly Councils iarocu UK 89 December 30th 03 07:41 PM