Hybrid recommendations??

Old July 16th 04, 05:07 PM
DRS

Default Hybrid recommendations??

"Tamyka Bell" wrote in message

Claude wrote:

Had my Shogun Metro LX stolen from the garage on Monday night and
hence looking for a new bike. I was happy with the Metro LX and can
get a new one for $999 at Melbourne Bike Centre - its attractive
because of the LX/XT componentry, albeit a little heavy. Does
anyone have any views on other options or places in Melbourne to buy
(including used)?

Having not looked at hybrids I don't know their RRP but $999 seems
pretty expensive, doesn't it?

No, not for that level of equipment. Deore LX is very nice. I have the
Deore version of that bike and I love it. All he need do is put some
clip-on aerobars on for a decent alternative riding position, as I did, and
he's got an excellent all-rounder.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old July 19th 04, 03:10 PM
fewfewfew

"Claude" wrote in message
Had my Shogun Metro LX stolen from the garage on Monday night and hence
looking for a new bike. I was happy with the Metro LX and can get a new

one
for $999 at Melbourne Bike Centre - its attractive because of the LX/XT
componentry, albeit a little heavy. Does anyone have any views on other
options or places in Melbourne to buy (including used)?
Thanks
Claude

Claude

I recently bought a Avanti Blade Sport to commute to work (about 1/2 hour
each way) and have been very happy with it. Comes in within your price
range, however I think the 2004 model is becoming hard to get.

Ric

Old July 19th 04, 03:16 PM
fewfewfew

"Claude" wrote in message
Had my Shogun Metro LX stolen from the garage on Monday night and hence
looking for a new bike. I was happy with the Metro LX and can get a new

one
for $999 at Melbourne Bike Centre - its attractive because of the LX/XT
componentry, albeit a little heavy. Does anyone have any views on other
options or places in Melbourne to buy (including used)?
Thanks
Claude

Claude

I recently bought a Avanti Blade Sport to commute to work. (About 1/2 hour
each way) and have been very happy with it. Comes in around $950

Old July 19th 04, 09:50 PM
kingsley

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 00:40:36 +0000, Yuri Budilov wrote:

In my research on various bicycle types I have found that the problem with
all so called hybrid designs is that they are not driven by competitive
cycling sport as much as say pure MTB and pure road/racing bicycles are.

But the whole groupset is basically pulled straight from MTB.

That leaves the frame & wheels, I can believe that there isn't much
"race technology" in the frame, but if we're really looking for this,
do you really get anything approaching recent technology in a bike
under $2-2.5k ? 700C wheels aren't non-existant in racing, but perhaps
I'd have to admit that the wider wheels used in most hybrids may
only see racing in something like a European cycle-cross event.

I also found that hybrid bicycles often cost more than more or less
equivalent MTB bikes. This all is probably due to low volumes they sell to
re-coup their investment. Not sure. And often, but not always, hybrids are
as heavy or heavier than MTB too. Check out Trek MTB versus Trek hybrid
prices and specs, on the web as example.

Hmmm, I'll have to check this out.
It's a valid point.

cheers,
-kt

Old July 19th 04, 10:30 PM
Dominic Sansom

I had a Specialized Sirrus Sport which I thought was great. Light, fast,
good group, suspension seat post, great saddle, fantastic handle bar
grips, reasonable price.

|Filename: 04SirrusSportDisc_d.jpg |
|Download: http://www.cyclingforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1712|

Dominic Sansom

Hybrid cycles for commuting & long(ish) tours? Ian Teelan UK 11 February 12th 04 11:04 PM
want opinion on my decision to buy hybrid Tune2828 General 16 January 28th 04 08:38 PM
Tourer or hybrid? NC UK 3 December 1st 03 10:49 AM
Needing Female Bicycle Recommendations... Chad Thompson General 6 August 26th 03 07:20 AM
New Bike Recommendations Needed James Howe General 7 August 8th 03 05:48 AM