KH / Schlumpf Geared 24" mountain unicycling

Old November 25th 08, 09:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
corbin

Default KH / Schlumpf Geared 24" mountain unicycling

Howdy! I wrote a quick review of my geared 24":

http://tinyurl.com/6ebgsg

Nathan Hoover put some pictures from last Sunday:

http://nhoover.smugmug.com/gallery/6637666_SutW5

Be sure to check out the video of me cruising along at Coker speeds:

http://tinyurl.com/63oca4

Overall, the geared 24 is wonderful. It will be my unicycle for the
Africa tour, and as soon as we get my old hub back, we'll have a second
one for Louise to take on the Africa tour too.

--corbin

--
corbin

http://www.corbinstreehouse.com
Old November 25th 08, 09:16 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

Cool stuff, I really want to try a geared 26 built a bit lighter than my
current MUni.

--
saskatchewanian
Old November 25th 08, 09:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniSano

That's awesome. I've got a KH/Schlumpf on order now and I plan on
rebuilding my KH24 around it when I get it. For me this will be a very
versitile and useful setup for the sorts of terrain I ride regularly;
plus it's very transportable. I can't wait!

--
MuniSano
Old November 25th 08, 09:47 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
corbin

saskatchewanian;1138034 wrote:
Cool stuff, I really want to try a geared 26 built a bit lighter than my
current MUni.

An advantage of the 26" is more tire options...I definitely want to
find a good smooth tire with some traction for light offroad/fireroad
(for the tour)
corbin

Old November 25th 08, 09:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
munirocks

I want to schlumpf my rides... The 24 must be the most fun of them I
guess.

--
munirocks

mono for bono
Old November 25th 08, 10:20 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Chrashing

corbin;1138056 wrote:
An advantage of the 26" is more tire options...I definitely want to find
a good smooth tire with some traction for light offroad/fireroad (for
the tour)
corbin

Congratulations on another guni Corbin,
I have not ridden my 24" much yet, still need to mastered free mounting
it. But I have ridden it enough to notice in high gear, on the
pavement, the knobby vibration, even on my well worn duro wildlife
Leopard tire.

It's good see more posts about the new hubs, Florian mentioned he
shipped 50 of the beauties last month!

I have not had much time to ride this new wheel, so I have some
questions,
What mount do you use for high gear? I tried the rollback a couple
times and man, that high feels completely different, like the wheel
isn't going turn, then suddenly speeds back behind me. I'm thinking I'll
need to brush up on the rolling mount.

So far I've only used low air pressure 18 lbs (Maybe that's why the
mounting feels so dead at first.) What pressure are you liking?

And one of those video's shows someone riding up a steep hill, in high
gear, on 36" guni, awesome. Even stops and turns at the top, nice
control.

--
Chrashing

Regards,
Ken

I've been flying.......
Old November 26th 08, 12:11 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
munirocks

My parents just offered me to give me a KH/Schlumpf hub for
Christmas! I am so excited!

But now I have to decide which uni to put it on. That's a difficult
one. I think maybe the KH29 is good as a first geared hub? Or maybe I
should put it in a 26" rim on the 29er frame, but then I'd have to mod
the brake bosses. The KH24 would be great too, but that's the one I do
the most abusive stuff on, and I'm still trying to learn all sorts of
tricks on that one. In any case, I think I'd build a whole new wheel set
for the Schlumpf anyways, so I can go without it whenever I want to. If
I had a KH36 I might put it on that one to have the fastest ride
available... But I have a Nimbus Nightrider... can't schlumpf that one,
right? So maybe I would sell it... and get a KH36? The thing is that I
currently live in the somewhat flat Netherlands, so the geared 36 would
definitely make more sense than 24" guni. Although I don't see myself
going much faster than 36Km/h on one wheel anyways. I wish one could
change hubs faster, quick release style... Because the geared 24/26/29
setup would be my choice for touring in the mountains. I'd want to go on
tours in southern Germany and Switzerland then. Difficult decision, but
I think probably I'll gear up the 29er, either as a 26er or as 29er. It
seems to be a good compromise. At the moment the 29er is the one I use
the least, because for going on tours I love the speed of the 36er, and
for going technical muniing in the few hills available and practicing
tricks I use the 24"...

What would you guys do, if you had to make this decision? What do you
think is the easiest one for getting into guni and shifting on the fly?

--
munirocks

mono for bono
Old November 26th 08, 12:32 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

munirocks;1138165 wrote:

What would you guys do, if you had to make this decision? What do you
think is the easiest one for getting into guni and shifting on the fly?

Shifting on the fly just takes practice; it doesn't really matter what
the wheel size is. Shorter cranks make it easier for most people.

I've just set up a Schlumpf 29er with a 29x2.3" MUni tire and the
dual-drill 125/150 KH Moment cranks. I think that's about as versatile
a setup as you can imagine. In 125mm geared mode, it's fast enough to
compete in Ride The Lobster. In 150mm ungeared mode, it rides pretty
much like a MUni. It fits in the trunk and it's easy to take on a plane
(at least relative to a Coker).

--
tholub
Old November 26th 08, 12:37 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
munirocks

Thanks, I think that's what I'll do too!

--
munirocks

mono for bono
Old November 26th 08, 12:41 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
munirocks

If I had a 32" I'd probably gear that one up.
But I won't link that thread here now...

--
munirocks

mono for bono