Half radial spoking and the new Dura-Ace wheels

Old July 15th 04, 02:25 AM
Monty

Default Half radial spoking and the new Dura-Ace wheels

I have Shimano SH7701 wheels and find them to be very durable. I just had
my first broken spoke last Sunday with 9,375 miles on the wheels.

I had two pairs of Rolf Sestrienes. The rear rims cracked on both pairs at
about 6,000 miles.
http://nanandmont.com/bike/2002/crack1.jpg
http://nanandmont.com/bike/2002/crack2.jpg
http://nanandmont.com/bike/2002/crack3.jpg

"Ritch" wrote in message
om...
Sheldon's site, http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html#half-radial
says semi-tangent spokes on the right side (drive side) and radial
spokes on the left side (NDS) can make highly dished rear wheels more
durable.

Look at the 2005 Dura-Ace wheels,

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...800-carbon-hub
and it looks like radial on the right and semi-tangent on the left.

Has Shimano got it the wrong way around, or does Sheldon's page need
correction? Perhaps and engineer/wheel expert can shed some light...

Ritch

(unfortunately I am neither an engineer or wheel expert)

Old July 15th 04, 04:47 AM
Sheldon Brown

Ritch wrote:

Sheldon's site, http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html#half-radial
says semi-tangent spokes on the right side (drive side) and radial
spokes on the left side (NDS) can make highly dished rear wheels more
durable.

Look at the 2005 Dura-Ace wheels,
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...800-carbon-hub
and it looks like radial on the right and semi-tangent on the left.

Has Shimano got it the wrong way around, or does Sheldon's page need
correction? Perhaps and engineer/wheel expert can shed some light...

When you see half-radial wheels with the radials on the right, it is
generally for reasons of chain/derailer clearance.

Mavic does this on their wheels with fat aluminum spokes, and I have no
doubt this is the reason Shimano did it. If you look at the overall
width of the left flange vs the right flange you can see the potential
clearance issue with the side-by-side nipples.

Sheldon "Make It Fit" Brown
+---------------------------------+
| Is ambivalence a bad thing? |
| Well, yes and no. |
| -- Garrison Keillor |
+---------------------------------+
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old July 15th 04, 05:14 AM
jim beam

the only reason it could ever be "wrong" is when the hub is one of those
skinny ones that is subject to relative torsion between the left & right
flanges. the new d/a wheel has a huge chunky hub so there's almost no
relative torsion, hence you can get away with right side radial which,
as sheldon says, has spoke clearance benefits. close clearance also
results in spoke tension differential benefits too.

Old July 15th 04, 06:19 AM
David L. Johnson

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 21:14:47 -0700, jim beam wrote:

the only reason it could ever be "wrong" is when the hub is one of those
skinny ones that is subject to relative torsion between the left & right
flanges.

Um, _any_ hub which is half-radial with the right side radial would be
subject to exactly the same relative torsion, skinny or fat. The thing
is, in order to be strong enough to not break under such torsion, the hub
has to be fat. I can see no advantage in that. Dumb idea, copied from
Rolf.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Enron's slogan: Respect, Communication, Integrity, and
_`\(,_ | Excellence.

Old July 15th 04, 07:31 AM
S o r n i

Monty top-posted:

I had two pairs of Rolf Sestrienes. The rear rims cracked on both
pairs at about 6,000 miles.
http://nanandmont.com/bike/2002/crack1.jpg
http://nanandmont.com/bike/2002/crack2.jpg

That was because your carpet was so loud.

Bill "slow night" S.