Matching tire width to rim width.

Old April 15th 04, 01:03 AM
mscalisi

Default Matching tire width to rim width.

Is there any rule of thumb about width rim you need to fit a particular
width of tire?

Specific Example: I just ordered a hookworm 24" 2.5 to put on my
semcycle XL. Will this work with my stock rim? (I don't have the
specifics because I'm at work, but I don't remember it being very
wide)

Thanks!

--
mscalisi - Not such a newbie anymore
mscalisi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4961

Old April 15th 04, 05:26 AM
mscalisi

When I got home, I measured the rim, and it's only 1" wide. Will a 2.5"
hookworm fit?

Old April 15th 04, 06:25 AM
Rowan

Try it out, it should be ok. Gazzaloddi's recommend that you use a rim
that is at least 28mm for 24x3" tires, but Joe uses an extremely narrow
rim on his 'MUni' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albut20/DSC00016).
I think he finds that it is not ideal, and that the tire folds over or
bottoms out sometimes, but it works most of the time. His rim is
probably way narrower than most stock rims so yours should work. Depends
on what kind of ride you are looking for I guess.

--
Rowan - _________

[image: http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smil...3691690_0.gif]
::*-'Click Here!'
(http://Bogtrotter.v3.net/)
-*::
Rowan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3772

Old April 15th 04, 08:11 AM
gerblefranklin

It'll work. I run the 24x3.0 fireball on a sun rhynolite. I also used to
run the untense 24x3.0 on it for muni. Your tire folds a occasionally,
but it'll work okay. Just carry a pump in case the rie shears off the
rim.

As for the ride, I haven't reached Mike yet, but if it happens it'll be
on saturday or possibly friday, but definitely not thursday, and highly
unlikely sunday. Worst comes to worst, it's just us two.

Bevan

--
gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

Don't you think it's a cruel irony that acting like a G.I. Joe in the
army can get you a Medal, while playing with one can get you thrown out?

Old April 15th 04, 05:48 PM
mscalisi

Thanks! Now the hard part: waiting for my stuff to arrive.

--
mscalisi - Not such a newbie anymore
mscalisi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4961

When to change the tire Jose Capco Techniques 10 July 1st 04 08:15 PM
DIY Tire Removal 2 g.daniels Techniques 4 May 21st 04 05:25 PM
DIY Tire Remval 2 g.daniels Techniques 1 May 17th 04 10:26 PM
Optimal Rim Width for Tire Size HKEK Techniques 1 December 19th 03 06:48 PM