BHIT funding

Old November 18th 03, 03:36 PM
Richard Burton

Default BHIT funding

The latest issue of CCN News contained an article about the EDM that BHIT is
trying to get through Parliament, and it seems that BHIT is being funded by
the taxpayer, that's you and me. Now I don't know about you, but I object
to my taxes going to support fanatics who are prepared to say and do
anything to force their misguided view of the universe upon me, so I have
asked my MP to find out how much they are getting and from whom, and to stop
the getting it: text of letter follows.

Anyone else wishing to have their taxes spent on something slightly more
useful than BHIT i.e. anything, might like to consider writing something
along the same lines.

"Dear *****,

British Helment Initiative Trust (BHIT)

Further to my recent letter, 12/11/03, about the EDM (1983) submitted on
behalf of BHIT, I would be grateful if you could confirm that BHIT is in
receipt of government funding, and what this funding consists of, which
departments provide it and precisely how much.

If BHIT are in receipt of public funds, then I would ask you to investigate
immediately withdrawing any such, and to prevent their access to any public
money whatsoever. The grounds for doing so are that they have deliberately
misled Parliament and MPs with the figures given in their EDM, and that they
cannot be trusted to behave in an honest manner.

BHIT has a long inglorious track record of exaggeration, misrepresentation
and distortion, and are obsessed with making cyclists wear helmets, no
matter that the evidence does not support them. It cannot be right that the
general public should be forced to fund a group of fanatics who have no
interest in the health of the general public, only in compelling them to
wear something which will only give them a false sense of security."

Old November 18th 03, 05:25 PM
Tim S

"Richard Burton" wrote in message
The latest issue of CCN News contained an article about the EDM that BHIT

is
trying to get through Parliament, and it seems that BHIT is being funded

by
the taxpayer, that's you and me. Now I don't know about you, but I object
to my taxes going to support fanatics who are prepared to say and do
anything to force their misguided view of the universe upon me, so I have
asked my MP to find out how much they are getting and from whom, and to

stop
the getting it: text of letter follows.

Anyone else wishing to have their taxes spent on something slightly more
useful than BHIT i.e. anything, might like to consider writing something
along the same lines.

Can somebody please translate all the abbreviations in this?

ta, Tim S

Old November 18th 03, 05:48 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

"Tim S" wrote in message

Can somebody please translate all the abbreviations in this?

Dunno - I think BHIT stands for Blithering Helmet Idiocy Trust, but ICBW.

--
Guy
===

http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

Old November 18th 03, 06:26 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Is there a Scottish Helmet Initiative Trust (****)?

Old November 18th 03, 06:38 PM
[Not Responding]

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 15:36:47 -0000, "Richard Burton"
wrote:

SNIPPED

They seem to do fund raising rides as well. There is an ad in the
latest AUK magasine for such a thing.

I suppose the publication needs ad revenue but, really.

Old November 18th 03, 06:51 PM
Richard Burton

"Tim S" wrote in message

[...]

CCN=Cycle Campaign Network
EDM=Early Day Motion
BHIT= British Helmet Initiative Trust
MP=Member of Parliament
i.e.= id est

ta, Tim S

Old November 18th 03, 06:57 PM
Helen Deborah Vecht

"[Not Responding]" typed

wrote:

SNIPPED

They seem to do fund raising rides as well. There is an ad in the
latest AUK magasine for such a thing.

I suppose the publication needs ad revenue but, really.

I still haven't gathered the tuits to complain about this but will.

Are you going to the AUK AGM? I can't but would love this raised in AOB.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old November 18th 03, 07:08 PM
Helen Deborah Vecht

"Richard Burton" typed

Can somebody please translate all the abbreviations in this?

CCN=Cycle Campaign Network
EDM=Early Day Motion
BHIT= British Helmet Initiative Trust

Um... NO! BICYCLE Helmet Initiative Trust.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old November 18th 03, 07:34 PM
Richard Bates

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 18:38:50 +0000, in
, "[Not Responding]"
wrote:

They seem to do fund raising rides as well. There is an ad in the
latest AUK magasine for such a thing.

I suppose the publication needs ad revenue but, really.

Are helmets compulsory on their rides?

--
Sig got lost during a reinstall
Old November 18th 03, 07:58 PM
Helen Deborah Vecht

Richard Bates ty ped

wrote:

They seem to do fund raising rides as well. There is an ad in the
latest AUK magasine for such a thing.

I suppose the publication needs ad revenue but, really.

Are helmets compulsory on their rides?

No.

Anything goes but the law of the land should be obeyed.

Any machine may be used so long as it is propelled by human muscular effort.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.