Liquigas team, interesting chemistry

Old April 1st 05, 04:27 AM
sonarrat

Default Liquigas team, interesting chemistry

It's still early in the season, but doesn't it seem like the new
Liquigas team have taken a bunch of also-rans and raised their level?

They've got no fewer than 9 exiles from the now-dead Vini Caldirola
team, including Stefano Garzelli and sprinter Marco Zanotti. They've
got ex-Alessio men like Magnus Backstedt and Franco Pellizotti. There
are riders from De Nardi, Fassa, Saeco, Lampre, Amore e Vita, Tenax, and
of course Cipollini from Domina Vacanze.

So it might seem like it's a slapped-together collection of riders that
range from passable to dire, with maybe one or two exceptions... but now
they're making more of a dent in the scene as a unit than they ever did
individually. Or am I just dreaming things?

-Sonarrat.
Old April 1st 05, 05:42 AM
Tom D.

sonarrat wrote:
It's still early in the season, but doesn't it seem like the new
Liquigas team have taken a bunch of also-rans and raised their level?

They've got no fewer than 9 exiles from the now-dead Vini Caldirola
team, including Stefano Garzelli and sprinter Marco Zanotti. They've

got ex-Alessio men like Magnus Backstedt and Franco Pellizotti.

There
are riders from De Nardi, Fassa, Saeco, Lampre, Amore e Vita, Tenax,

and
of course Cipollini from Domina Vacanze.

So it might seem like it's a slapped-together collection of riders

that
range from passable to dire, with maybe one or two exceptions... but

now
they're making more of a dent in the scene as a unit than they ever

did
individually. Or am I just dreaming things?

Definitely an odd mix, but there is talent. In addition to those you
mentioned, Dario Cioni had a very good 2004, and I was surprised to see
him leave Fassa (Pozzato too, for that matter). I thought Danilo Di
Luca (ex-Saeco) was headed for great things two or three years ago; he
stalled out, but may have something left.

Old April 1st 05, 06:38 AM
Robert Chung

sonarrat wrote:

Team chemistry would be more interesting if they were using androstenine.

Old April 1st 05, 06:50 AM
sonarrat

Tom D. wrote:
sonarrat wrote:

[...]

Pozzato wasn't such a surprise, since he was on Lefevre's development
squad, but I was surprised to see Cioni make the switch, too. Maybe he
just got sick of being lost in the shuffle.

I thought Danilo Di
Luca (ex-Saeco) was headed for great things two or three years ago; he
stalled out, but may have something left.

I forgot to mention him, it will be interesting to see how his team
supports him the Ardennes - and there's Pagliarini too, he's been quite
a fighter lately.

-Sonarrat.
Old April 1st 05, 07:42 AM
Van Hoorebeeck Bart

If Garzelli finds his best level back, they can look to the Giro with
ambition: Pellizotti seems back on track, Cioni is done with
Petacchi-slaving, and there's still Noe. They've been checking the mountain
stages together.

As for chemistry, in recent weeks Backstedt has been leading out his tinier
teammates, while the TT showed his own form as rather good.

But what I don't get: I didn't see Cipo at their Wevelgem roster, while it
was a main target. Did Sanremo learn him he'd better skip such race?