Club rides that were rejected

Old February 4th 05, 05:10 AM
Claire Petersky

P.S. Can I use any of these for my club newsletter?

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

I'm doing the Big Climb for my friend Dena! See:
http://www.active.com/donations/camp...?key=cpetersky

Old February 4th 05, 11:06 PM
Gnarlito

Tour de Thunderbird. No vineyards or tasting rooms on this two-wheeled
adventure. Instead, we'll cruise the industrial part of town, stopping
at several of the club's favorite drive-through liquor stores to stock
up on Cheetohs and top off our "water" bottles. Cycling apparel
discouraged; suggested attire is early Salvation Army. And make sure
those handlebars are in the fully upgright and locked position (that's
right: bar ends to the sky, folks!). We'll be collecting aluminum cans
along the way to fund the post-ride malt-liquor blowout, and you'll
need someplace to tie on your 50-gallon plastic bag to hold the booty.
Sorry, no sag support; we don't have any licensed drivers left in the
club. Meet at 9 am Sunday at the blood bank on South 2nd street.

Little Debbie Season Opener Out'n'Back Training Ride. Break out the
Relaxed Fit spandex, sling on the feedbag, pump up the tires to 135
psi, and lets' roll! We'll meet at Dunkin Donuts, go hard (5-7 mph)
for 4 miles, regroup at the Golden Corral for the Sunday Brunch
All-You-Can-Eat special, and then head back to the starting point. Make
sure you bring a couple of sleeves of Archway cookies to avoid the
dreaded bonk. All the sag wagons will have plenty of Gold Bond powder
and baby oil on hand to ease the discomfort of those early-season
chafed inner thighs.

Old February 5th 05, 01:15 AM
Bill Sornson

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

Here's a nice shot of the gravel. Note how the riders make use of the
wheel-ruts, the only viable riding lines on the gravel:

http://www.trekvwracing.com/gallery/...x04/pic19.html

Just a guess: you're not a mountain biker, are you?

(Those AREN'T "ruts"! Ruts can swallow bikes whole! )

Old February 5th 05, 02:41 AM
Veloise

I need to find the old narrative from a club in Canada. They did an
all-night ride and hit **every** Tim Horton;\'s (donut shop) in the
metro. The rule was: they had to buy and eat something at every stop.
So they had some TimBits, and a TimPie, and some TimWater...

--Karen M.
happy to find lead articles on UseNet

Old February 5th 05, 03:00 AM
Mike Kruger

"Veloise" wrote in message
ups.com...
I need to find the old narrative from a club in Canada. They

did an
all-night ride and hit **every** Tim Horton;\'s (donut shop)

in the
metro. The rule was: they had to buy and eat something at

every stop.
So they had some TimBits, and a TimPie, and some TimWater...

--Karen M.
happy to find lead articles on UseNet

That's too close for comfort -- one of our club's most popular
rides is the "hot dog ride", where we stop at several hot dog
stands. A polish here, a chardog there, ... hey, I haven't
had a bratwurst yet... Is it windy enough for a chili dog?

Too many hot dog places in Chicago to hit them all, though.

Old February 5th 05, 12:06 PM
Neil Cherry

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 01:15:33 GMT, Bill Sornson wrote:
Ryan Cousineau wrote:

Here's a nice shot of the gravel. Note how the riders make use of the
wheel-ruts, the only viable riding lines on the gravel:

http://www.trekvwracing.com/gallery/...x04/pic19.html

Just a guess: you're not a mountain biker, are you?

(Those AREN'T "ruts"! Ruts can swallow bikes whole! )

I have a ride like that, down by the Jersey shore (in Hawthorn (sp?)
woods) which rides up a gravel road, the ruts tend to be packed but
loose gravel (the rangers drive this road daily). The rest is loose
gravel. I sometimes get complaints about that section because it's
off-roading (pedel too hard and you spin out in the gravel, pedal too
soft and you fall down). There's just pleasing some folk. :-)

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)
Old February 5th 05, 12:14 PM
Neil Cherry

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 21:00:16 -0600, Mike Kruger wrote:
"Veloise" wrote in message
ups.com...
I need to find the old narrative from a club in Canada. They

did an
all-night ride and hit **every** Tim Horton;\'s (donut shop)

in the
metro. The rule was: they had to buy and eat something at

every stop.
So they had some TimBits, and a TimPie, and some TimWater...

--Karen M.
happy to find lead articles on UseNet

That's too close for comfort -- one of our club's most popular
rides is the "hot dog ride", where we stop at several hot dog
stands. A polish here, a chardog there, ... hey, I haven't
had a bratwurst yet... Is it windy enough for a chili dog?

That reminds me of a route I did from the club collection. It ended up
being a 62 mile ride with no stops as we couldn't find a single store
on the route! I haven't done that one since but I now know where every
store is within 5 miles of my routes (this is South Jersey and still
farm land). The reason it reminded me of that was an encounter we had
on my modified version of that ride. There is a store in Chesterfield
that is billed as an Ice Cream shop. There a vegetarian rider took
offense to the way another rider scarfed down a hot dog (I was upset
too, not enough yellow mustard! ;-). Ocasionally we ride for hot dogs!

Old February 5th 05, 04:09 PM
Ryan Cousineau

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

Here's a nice shot of the gravel. Note how the riders make use of the
wheel-ruts, the only viable riding lines on the gravel:

http://www.trekvwracing.com/gallery/...x04/pic19.html

Just a guess: you're not a mountain biker, are you?

I'm not great, but I've ridden the North Shore's CBC.

(Those AREN'T "ruts"! Ruts can swallow bikes whole! )

Well, yes, and if I had a mountain bike for that ride, this wouldn't
even count as "off-road." But at race pace on 23mm slicks, it's pretty
exciting. The biggest problem with going off-line wasn't crashing
(though the stability was less) it was that you slowed down too much in
the deeper, more irregular gravel. Even on 'cross tires it might have
been easier, but the guy on 'cross tires couldn't keep up on the
pavement that comprised the other 4km.

I have a ride like that, down by the Jersey shore (in Hawthorn (sp?)
woods) which rides up a gravel road, the ruts tend to be packed but
loose gravel (the rangers drive this road daily). The rest is loose
gravel. I sometimes get complaints about that section because it's
off-roading (pedel too hard and you spin out in the gravel, pedal too
soft and you fall down). There's just pleasing some folk. :-)

I do a fair bit of riding on gravel with a road bike, but there aren't a
lot of nominal road races that pull this sort of madness. It's a fairly
special race.

Then again, the biggest criterium in Vancouver takes place on
brick-paved streets:

http://www.tourdegastown.com/

I wish they still called it the "Gastown Grand Prix," though. "Tour"
should be reserved for actual stage races, at least.

Oh well, could be worse. I'll also be racing in the (ahem) _inagural_
"Port Coquitlam Classic."
--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.wiredcola.com
Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.
Old February 6th 05, 01:16 PM

http://www.bebikeclub.com/tourdedonut/ is a race where at the rest stop
you can eat donuts and you get 5 minutes off for each donut. The
winner often has a negative adjusted time.

Old February 6th 05, 08:16 PM
Ryan Cousineau

In article . com,
" wrote:

http://www.bebikeclub.com/tourdedonut/ is a race where at the rest stop
you can eat donuts and you get 5 minutes off for each donut. The
winner often has a negative adjusted time.

I have found my dream event!

Since I started competitive cycling, I have had an eternal conflict
between my inner Fabrizio (train like crazy, ride fancy equipment, wear
team kit) and my inner, well, my inner me (ride to work, put a bell on
the race bike, ride to eat donuts).

Now, I can finally satisfy both personae.

They do have really good ristresso espresso available with the donuts,
right? Lever-pulled by a proper barista?