I get 3 miles per banana, do you?

Old April 4th 09, 04:27 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Sherman[_3_]

Default I get 3 miles per banana, do you?

aka Jon Isaacs wrote:
On Mar 25, 7:46 am, Opus wrote:
On Mar 25, 9:48 am, " wrote:

snip
- Those Honda Horses, they pretty much in someones head, ask that
motor to actually put out 160hp for a moment, oh one probably did it
for a moment or two on a test stand somewhere before it exploded.
Those Caterpillar Horses, they are right there and real... The run in
for a Cummins diesel used to be an hour on a Dyno... The spec was
that if the engine had to produce at least 96% of the rated power for
15 minutes, otherwise it needed fixin'...
Oh well...
Jon

The Honda and the Cat are both rated by the same SAE protocol for the
exact same period of time, as required by US law.

Opus

I looked around and saw a lot of pages touting "certified SAE
Horsepower" but I did not find anything that actually stated the
actual testing procedure without paying for it. I am highly skeptical
that a gasoline automobile motor could last 15 minutes on a dyno at
full power where as it quite well established that a commercial diesel
motor can do this for hours even days on end...

These gasoline motors easily last for a season of showroom stock
endurance racing. 24 hours of mostly full throttle, except when braking
for the corners during one race.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll