Bicycle Tires That Shouldn't Last But Do and Bicycle Tires ThatShould Last But Don't

Old April 28th 09, 04:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Carl Sundquist[_2_]

Default Bicycle Tires That Shouldn't Last But Do and Bicycle Tires ThatShould Last But Don't

On Apr 26, 11:35*pm, Chalo wrote:
Nick L Plate wrote:

Jobst Brandt wrote:

The hardened and flaking rubber does little for the tire structure
except keep the cords dry and clean. *If you don't ride them wet, they
should last until the cords fail from oxidation and UV.

My tyres cords are cotton, they'll rot if I leave em wet, they'll
abrade and weaken with dirt, but UV damage, c'mon?

Here in Central Texas, UV kills tires long before wear, weather, or
ozone.

I just fired up an old chopper of mine that has gotten only
intermittent use since I moved back to Texas from Seattle. *It was
always a rather low mileage and carefully ridden bike, so the original
2001 tires were still in good shape with little wear and clean
lustrous sidewalls. *But during the molding process, some of the
casing threads had been pushed to the surface and slightly visible on
the blackwall. *When I rode the bike downtown the other day, I looked
down to find that the outer ply of the front tire's casing had
ruptured and the tread was flailing around. *Upon inspection, it
became apparent that the small crescent of sidewall that was peeking
out under the near-complete tarp coverage for the last months had been
crisped by the sun and those few threads that were visible on the
sidewall ripped out like a busted zipper.

I hate it when I have to throw away a tire that still has new-tire
whiskers sticking out from the edges of the tread, but that's what I
did.

Chalo

Maybe you should ride more.

The tire is 8 years old and you're moaning about throwing it away?
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...s/tires/useby-
date-for-tires-104-car-safety-tread-wear-safe-tires/

"Audi, BMW, and Volkswagen recommend replacing tires after six years,
regardless of tread wear. The British Rubber Manufacturers’
Association said in June 2001 that unused tires more than 6 years old
should not be used and that a tire should be replaced 10 years after
manufacture. Roadside checks led the U.K.-based Tyre Industry Council
to warn that tires can dry with age, leading to tread separation."

Old April 28th 09, 05:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
jim beam[_4_]

Carl Sundquist wrote:

*

said in June 2001 that unused tires more than 6 years old
should not be used and that a tire should be replaced 10 years after
manufacture. Roadside checks led the U.K.-based Tyre Industry Council
to warn that tires can dry with age, leading to tread separation."

* research funded by donations from ford.
Old April 28th 09, 05:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Carl Sundquist

jim beam wrote:
Carl Sundquist wrote:
On Apr 26, 11:35�pm, Chalo wrote:
Nick L Plate wrote:

Jobst Brandt wrote:
[...]

If so, probably a CYA after the SUV rollover mess they had.

http://www.safetyresearch.net/Library/SRS046.pdf
Old April 28th 09, 05:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
jim beam[_4_]

Carl Sundquist wrote:
jim beam wrote:
Carl Sundquist wrote:
On Apr 26, 11:35�pm, Chalo wrote:
Nick L Plate wrote:

Jobst Brandt wrote:
[...]

precisely what i was getting at. a vehicle should NOT roll because of a
flat. period. ford knew it did. but they did the math on the costs of
redesign and chose to ignore it as a cheaper option. and they bribed
their way out of trouble when it eventually came.

there should be jail and giga-fines for the "executives" that made those
decisions. /way/ worse than enron.

http://www.safetyresearch.net/Library/SRS046.pdf

Old April 28th 09, 06:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Chalo

Carl Sundquist wrote:

Chalo wrote:

I just fired up an old chopper of mine that has gotten only
intermittent use since I moved back to Texas from Seattle. *It was
always a rather low mileage and carefully ridden bike, so the original
2001 tires were still in good shape with little wear and clean
lustrous sidewalls. *

[...]
Upon inspection, it
became apparent that the small crescent of sidewall that was peeking
out under the near-complete tarp coverage for the last months had been
crisped by the sun and those few threads that were visible on the
sidewall ripped out like a busted zipper.

I hate it when I have to throw away a tire that still has new-tire
whiskers sticking out from the edges of the tread, but that's what I
did.

Maybe you should ride more.

The tire is 8 years old and you're moaning about throwing it away?

It's a chopper. An extravagant one, at that. IOW, even when it's
operational, it doesn't see pavement every week, and when it does it's
for short forays. I have an adult-size Big Wheel trike that has
traveled a lot more miles than this chopper.

Anyway, there are about 20 bikes here, and many of them are good
practical rides. I can't wear out the tires on all of them. I'm
doing well to wear out the tires on some of them, and I do.

But as to the ravages of the Central Texas sun-- when I was 20 and
riding 300 miles a week, my Turbo S ATBs and my Fat Boys and my Fas
Grip Citys all had tread left on them when the sidewalls grew hairy.
And I only had one bike then, and I kept it inside when I was at
home.

Folks who only ride on pleasant Sunday mornings when the temperature
is between 60 and 85 degrees may fail to appreciate the prevailing
conditions of a place where it can exceed 100 degrees every single day
for almost three months running.

Sheldon Brown used to point out that bike tires were still good for
decades if not worn out or damaged, and I agree. I have NOS Goodyear
tires for 20" bikes that are still soft and grippy after around 40
years in the wrapper. I'd be a fool to ditch them just because car
tire makers want to sell more car tires more often.

Chalo
Old April 28th 09, 01:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman[_3_]

Chalo Colina wrote:
[...]
Folks who only ride on pleasant Sunday mornings when the temperature
is between 60 and 85 degrees may fail to appreciate the prevailing
conditions of a place where it can exceed 100 degrees every single day
for almost three months running.
[...]

Hell?

Pleasant for riding is 50 to 65°F.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll
Old April 28th 09, 01:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
jim beam[_4_]

Chalo wrote:
Carl Sundquist wrote:
Chalo wrote:
[...]

how ****ing dim can you get? [rhetorical] this is america buddy. you
can freeze your ass off in alaska. or you can roast it down in arizona.
either way, you can jump in your car and exercise this thing called
"choice". either do it or stfu with your whining. unbelievable.

Old April 28th 09, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
dlzc

Dear Erness Wild:

On Apr 26, 8:03*am, Erness Wild wrote:
Here's a photo of how bad this tire is:

http://i44.tinypic.com/30clma9.jpg
and I'm not complaining, really, just a bit puzzled
over what makes a good tire (many of which don't
seem to last anymore) and this old tire that
keeps going even when falling apart.

Understand that "accountants" force manufacturing to make choices
based on economics. Having the tires fail "six months" after you buy
the rest of the machine, does not denigrate the rest of the machine,
and will not lose customers.

I'm surprised car manufacturers don't ship their cars with four tiny
spares like they put in the trunk now...

My two cents.

David A. Smith
Old April 28th 09, 08:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Opus[_2_]

On Apr 28, 3:26 am, jim beam wrote:
Chalo wrote:
Here in Central Texas, UV kills tires long before wear, weather, or
ozone.

before wear??? that's another incredibly revealing and fredly chalo
statement!

why do you hang out on a "bike" newsgroup chalo? "circus clown
equipment" would seem more appropriate for you.
snip

I live a couple days' ride north of Chalo and I have to back him up on
this one. Between the UV and the Ozone tires don't last very long
here. I have had to throw away tires that had less than 500 miles on
them because the carcass had split from weathering and pollution, in
all areas of the tire, tread, sidewall and near the bead. I have had
tires go bad that I though were whitewalls until I demounted them and
discovered a black bead that faded to chalky white. TX is running neck
and neck with SoCal as the most polluted area in the US. SoCal levels
are a tiny bit higher, but TX are over a much wider area.

Opus