Bicycle Tires That Shouldn't Last But Do and Bicycle Tires ThatShould Last But Don't

Old April 29th 09, 01:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Carl Sundquist[_2_]

Default Bicycle Tires That Shouldn't Last But Do and Bicycle Tires ThatShould Last But Don't

On Apr 28, 2:41*pm, Opus wrote:
On Apr 28, 3:26 am, jim beam wrote:

Chalo wrote:
Here in Central Texas, UV kills tires long before wear, weather, or
ozone.

before wear??? *that's another incredibly revealing and fredly chalo
statement!

why do you hang out on a "bike" newsgroup chalo? *"circus clown
equipment" would seem more appropriate for you.
snip

I live a couple days' ride north of Chalo and I have to back him up on
this one. Between the UV and the Ozone tires don't last very long
here. I have had to throw away tires that had less than 500 miles on
them because the carcass had split from weathering and pollution, in
all areas of the tire, tread, sidewall and near the bead.

There are probably more than a few people in TX that ride that much in
a week. You? I don't mean that as a ****ing contest, but as an example
that mileage (particularly 500 miles) in this discussion is an
incomplete description of the tire.

I have had
tires go bad that I though were whitewalls until I demounted them and
discovered a black bead that faded to chalky white. TX is running neck
and neck with SoCal as the most polluted area in the US. SoCal levels
are a tiny bit higher, but TX are over a much wider area.

Opus

Old April 29th 09, 04:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
jim beam[_4_]

Chalo wrote:
Here in Central Texas, UV kills tires long before wear, weather, or
ozone.

before wear??? that's another incredibly revealing and fredly chalo
statement!

why do you hang out on a "bike" newsgroup chalo? "circus clown
equipment" would seem more appropriate for you.
snip

I live a couple days' ride north of Chalo and I have to back him up on
this one. Between the UV and the Ozone tires don't last very long
here. I have had to throw away tires that had less than 500 miles on
them because the carcass had split from weathering and pollution, in
all areas of the tire, tread, sidewall and near the bead. I have had
tires go bad that I though were whitewalls until I demounted them and
discovered a black bead that faded to chalky white. TX is running neck
and neck with SoCal as the most polluted area in the US. SoCal levels
are a tiny bit higher, but TX are over a much wider area.

Opus

well, we never have sunshine here in california. and pollution doesn't
block u.v. but strangely, freds still suffer from cracked tires. odd
isn't it.
Old April 29th 09, 05:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Chalo Colina wrote:
[...]
Folks who only ride on pleasant Sunday mornings when the temperature
is between 60 and 85 degrees may fail to appreciate the prevailing
conditions of a place where it can exceed 100 degrees every single day
for almost three months running.
[...]

Hell?

Pleasant for riding is 50 to 65°F.

The Tom Sherman temps are way too cool. I like it to be between 75 and 90. I
will admit that when it goes above 90 it is even too hot for me.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old April 29th 09, 05:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Chalo

Edward Dolan wrote:

Tom Sherman wrote:

Chalo wrote:

[...]
Folks who only ride on pleasant Sunday mornings when the temperature
is between 60 and 85 degrees may fail to appreciate the prevailing
conditions of a place where it can exceed 100 degrees every single day
for almost three months running.
[...]

Hell?

Pleasant for riding is 50 to 65°F.

The Tom Sherman temps are way too cool. I like it to be between 75 and 90.. I
will admit that when it goes above 90 it is even too hot for me.

St. Ed! Where you been, sire? We've missed your pronouncements.

Chalo
Old April 30th 09, 02:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Chalo

Carl Sundquist wrote:

Opus wrote:

jackass with a small j wrote:

Chalo wrote:

[...]

I already pointed out that when I rode a single bike 300 miles a week
on skinwall slicks, and kept my bike inside when at home, my sidewalls
failed from UV before the tread wore through. You can believe it or
not, but that is what sun exposure does here.

Rim sidewalls on road bikes don't wear out from braking here in
Austin. But they do in Seattle. That's not imaginary either; it's
observable. It's understandable that you might have a failure of
imagination about things you've not experienced personally, but they
still happen.

Chalo
Old May 1st 09, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Opus[_2_]

On Apr 29, 12:31 am, Carl Sundquist wrote:
On Apr 28, 2:41 pm, Opus wrote:
snip

I live a couple days' ride north of Chalo and I have to back him up on
this one. Between the UV and the Ozone tires don't last very long
here. I have had to throw away tires that had less than 500 miles on
them because the carcass had split from weathering and pollution, in
all areas of the tire, tread, sidewall and near the bead.

There are probably more than a few people in TX that ride that much in
a week. You? I don't mean that as a ****ing contest, but as an example
that mileage (particularly 500 miles) in this discussion is an
incomplete description of the tire.

This was a special bike that didn't get ridden every day like my
normal ride, but was required to live outside because it won't fit in
the garage. I generally got less than a year out of the tires no
matter what amount of mileage I put on them. The rest of the bike has
no problem with outdoor storage since I started using a name brand
motorcycle chain lube. If you ask I'll even say what brand it is. But
tires on bikes that don't get ridden every day will die of UV and
Ozone before they wear out in TX, and really long wearing tires will
UV rot before they wear out even on bikes that get ridden long
distances every week. They will be worn but a long way from worn out.

Pollution and UV are killer on tires here in TX.