City of London Police to trial ebikes

Old January 14th 11, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Derek C

Default City of London Police to trial ebikes

On Jan 14, 9:09*am, Tony Dragon wrote:
On 14/01/2011 08:01, Doug wrote:

On Jan 13, 6:04 pm, "
*wrote:
On Jan 13, 5:39 pm, *wrote:

On Jan 13, 4:20 pm, "
*wrote:
On Jan 13, 4:14 pm, Tony *wrote:

On 13/01/2011 14:47, Doug wrote:

250 Watt machines are legal on the continent and the British law on
200 Watt machines is/was under review. So it looks as if the decision
has finally been made to standardise with the EU,

Source (I'm not saying it is not possible)

* * There was a consultation a year ago on the subject,

http://www.dft.gov.uk/consultations/closed/2010-02/

* * *I've no idea what has happened since then ...

Well there will obviously have to be harmonisation. End of.

* * You do wonder why they even spend money consulting, and updating
when it's probably going to end up the same. It's not like there are
budgetary considerations these days. If somebody else has done the
work of coming up with some decent standards why not simply use them.

What it amounts to is that our own governments are in the habit of
coming up with crap laws and this is one very clear example.

Why restrict a solo bike arbitrarily to 200 Watts while allowing a
tandem 250 Watts? It's utterly ridiculous! Meanwhile manufacturers
around the world have been churning out 250 W solos by the millions.

Doug.

It's funny how you argue about this being an arbitrarily limit that
should be ignored, but then complain about other arbitrarily limits that
are not sticked to.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, according to Doug's argument, it's OK to do 37.5mph in the urban
30mph speed limit!

Derek C
Old January 14th 11, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

Doug wrote:

If laws are never enforced then they might just as well never exist, as
in this case.

Does that apply to ramming cyclists, Doug?

BugBear
Old January 14th 11, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
AsK

On Jan 14, 10:09*am, Tony Dragon wrote:
On 14/01/2011 08:01, Doug wrote:

On Jan 13, 6:04 pm, "
*wrote:
On Jan 13, 5:39 pm, *wrote:

On Jan 13, 4:20 pm, "
*wrote:
On Jan 13, 4:14 pm, Tony *wrote:

On 13/01/2011 14:47, Doug wrote:

[...]

"sticked to", Tony Dragon? OOPS! :-)
Old January 14th 11, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On Jan 14, 10:11*am, bugbear
wrote:
Doug wrote:

If *laws are never enforced then they might just as well never exist, as
in this case.

Does that apply to ramming cyclists, Doug?

Is there such a law specific to cyclists? Doubtful. What a strange
question for you to ask. Did you have a point?

Doug.

Old January 14th 11, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Tony Dragon

On 14/01/2011 13:10, AsK wrote:
On Jan 14, 10:09 am, Tony wrote:
On 14/01/2011 08:01, Doug wrote:

On Jan 13, 6:04 pm, "
wrote:
On Jan 13, 5:39 pm, wrote:

On Jan 13, 4:20 pm, "
wrote:
On Jan 13, 4:14 pm, Tony wrote:

On 13/01/2011 14:47, Doug wrote:

[...]

Very sorry, I will go away & beat myself with a stick of sallary.
Old January 14th 11, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

Doug wrote:
On Jan 14, 10:11 am,
wrote:
Doug wrote:

If laws are never enforced then they might just as well never exist, as
in this case.

Does that apply to ramming cyclists, Doug?

Is there such a law specific to cyclists? Doubtful. What a strange
question for you to ask. Did you have a point?

Yes - that your so-called-principles on "the law" seem
to vary according to wether you find a particular law
to your taste and preference.

BugBear
Old January 14th 11, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On Jan 14, 3:27*pm, bugbear wrote:
Doug wrote:
On Jan 14, 10:11 am,
wrote:
Doug wrote:

If *laws are never enforced then they might just as well never exist, as
in this case.

Does that apply to ramming cyclists, Doug?

Is there such a law specific to cyclists? *Doubtful. What a strange
question for you to ask. Did you have a point?

Yes - that your so-called-principles on "the law" seem
to vary according to wether you find a particular law
to your taste and preference.

And you don't? What about speed limits and clamping?

Doug.

Old January 14th 11, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

Doug wrote:
On Jan 14, 3:27 pm, wrote:
Doug wrote:
On Jan 14, 10:11 am,
wrote:
Doug wrote:

If laws are never enforced then they might just as well never exist, as
in this case.

Does that apply to ramming cyclists, Doug?

Is there such a law specific to cyclists? Doubtful. What a strange
question for you to ask. Did you have a point?

Yes - that your so-called-principles on "the law" seem
to vary according to wether you find a particular law
to your taste and preference.

And you don't? What about speed limits and clamping?

You appear to be confusing me with someone else.

BugBear
Old January 14th 11, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On Jan 14, 4:15*pm, bugbear wrote:
Doug wrote:
On Jan 14, 3:27 pm, *wrote:
Doug wrote:
On Jan 14, 10:11 am,
wrote:
Doug wrote:

If *laws are never enforced then they might just as well never exist, as
in this case.

Does that apply to ramming cyclists, Doug?

Is there such a law specific to cyclists? *Doubtful. What a strange
question for you to ask. Did you have a point?

Yes - that your so-called-principles on "the law" seem
to vary according to wether you find a particular law
to your taste and preference.

And you don't? What about speed limits and clamping?

You appear to be confusing me with someone else.

Probably because you are reluctant to say anything about yourself and
your attitude to laws.

Doug.
Old January 14th 11, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

Doug wrote:
On Jan 14, 4:15 pm, wrote:
Doug wrote:
On Jan 14, 3:27 pm, wrote:
Doug wrote:
On Jan 14, 10:11 am,
wrote:
Doug wrote:

If laws are never enforced then they might just as well never exist, as
in this case.

Does that apply to ramming cyclists, Doug?

Is there such a law specific to cyclists? Doubtful. What a strange
question for you to ask. Did you have a point?

Yes - that your so-called-principles on "the law" seem
to vary according to wether you find a particular law
to your taste and preference.

And you don't? What about speed limits and clamping?

You appear to be confusing me with someone else.

Probably because you are reluctant to say anything about yourself and
your attitude to laws.

"it's not always about me" :-)

BugBear